Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS AU53 1877-CC $20 Gold Liberty on eBay

vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I have been unable to post the link to the auction (maybe someone can help). When I look up the certification number (81767930) at PCGS there is no record in their database. What does this mean?

The bidding has been light, considering the value of the coin. The seller has 100 percent feedback but apparently has not sold anything in over a year?

I would appreciate any insight into this.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be newly graded - won’t show up until the next database update. If you want the coin, buy it - eBay guaranteed

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2018 3:27PM

Coin looks legit from the pics but check sellers feedback. Only 1 as a seller and over a year ago, and that buyer is no longer registered to boot. Could mean nothing but raises some suspicion, personally I'd steer clear.

Edit: When I click the auction and zoom on pictures the date starts looking like it's just not right. Be careful.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited June 20, 2018 3:30PM

HA coin, same grade:

• Options

One more:

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Coin looks legit from the pics but check sellers feedback. Only 1 as a seller and over a year ago, and that buyer is no longer registered to boot. Could mean nothing but raises some suspicion, personally I'd steer clear.

Edit: When I click the auction and zoom on pictures the date starts looking like it's just not right. Be careful.

I see what you are saying about the date compared to the HA example.

• Options

I’d say the above coin is a fake; the mm looks like an “s”

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite said:

@blitzdude said:

I see what you are saying about the date compared to the HA example.

Always so hard to tell from a picture. I thought we were safe with the newest slab generation, for awhile at least. If it is in fact fake pretty scary because the slab looks good.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible picture. Can't say for sure, but something looks off about the coin. If you are interested, it is probably worth a call to PCGS customer service to see if they can verify the registration number. The slab looks damn good - best fake slab I've seen if it actually is fake.

• Options
    edited June 20, 2018 4:21PM

Take a look at the date:

• Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Wonder if this means anything... the next cert number shows an 1877-CC $20 graded Unc details - altered surfaces

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like some pretty significant obverse marks for the grade in my opinion.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

At present, a modest price for a 77-CC -- but there are a lot in that kind of EF condition, and buyers by date/mint of Liberty DE are rarer than some of the coins.

• Options
    CheyenneCheyenne Posts: 20 ✭✭

Photo, especially the reverse, is horrible. Can't see buying a coin on eBay when you can't even see it clearly!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin was in the PCGS database, but is not now. I know they will pull the number if they are reported stolen.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    At present, a modest price for a 77-CC -- but there are a lot in that kind of EF condition, and buyers by date/mint of Liberty DE are rarer than some of the coins.

As Mr. Burdette so astutely observed a couple days ago: "There are always outliers, even with very precise standards. The modern defalcation of accurate grading is not an outlier. It is more like a path of plain "lies" that distort, confuse and mislead collectors. Of course, collectors are ultimately to blame -- as a group they have permitted this abuse of honesty and "bought in" to institutionalized falsehood."

On this particular orbicular denticled brilliant valuable, whether it is the genuine article and may I say "the real McCoy" or an impostor, a fake and of questionable authenticity will no doubt be established by the experts. The tpgs came into existence at least partly and by and large to establish first of all authenticity. It appears this one carries with it unknowns in that regard.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the cert comes up for PCGS; apparently originally graded in 2016.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2018 8:00PM

We have met the enemy and he is us.

.....Pogo 1971

• Options

@burfle23 said:
    I understand the cert comes up for PCGS; apparently originally graded in 2016.

Could I ask how you found this information?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :|

Timbuk3
  • Options

I messaged the seller yesterday about not finding the cert. Number, he has not responded.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link no longer valid... guess it was pulled....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if the cert. number matched and the coin was real, why would anyone buy this with essentially worthless pictures and a no return policy?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Link no longer valid... guess it was pulled....Cheers, RickO

This listing (**********) has been removed, or this item is not available.

Another scam listing bites the dust!

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite said:
    I messaged the seller yesterday about not finding the cert. Number, he has not responded.

Me too,so I guess we got the answer we wanted. Auction is dead.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file