Home Precious Metals
Options

Just took acquisition of some Silver bars Where to get a realistic value ?

Just took in some Silver bars and trying to figure out value for the family. Local Coin shop seemed to eager to buy ?
Have 2 of the Homestake and 8 of the GA bars. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Board!

Assuming they are authentic and not 'reproductions,' they will have value above the bullion value. How much? I'll leave that to others on the Board who know much more about collectible bullion than I do.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Very cool. Interesting history for Homestake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestake_Mining_Company

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bars!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2018 9:59AM

The GA bars will bring a slight premium on Ebay, but nothing to get excited about. The Homestake bars, on the other hand, are special! These have been bringing between $1000 and $1300 on Ebay when they show up, which isn't often. Are both bars vintage 1978? The All Engelhard website has a Homestake page and indicates that less than 500 bars were issued in 1978. The serial number on your bar lines up with those known and the font/numbers look good - I believe that it is genuine. Cheers!

Edit: If you do sell them on Ebay, list them one at a time. Don't list the second until after the first sells.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

And space them out so you don’t flood the market

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bars! to the boards.

• Options

Thanks Guys Seems I underestimated the want of the Homestake bar. Great to get more info. Do these go up in price over next 10-20 years or just stay where they are?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gsxrjtt said:
    Thanks Guys Seems I underestimated the want of the Homestake bar. Great to get more info. Do these go up in price over next 10-20 years or just stay where they are?

Even though they are collectible, silver prices will have an influence on the value. Silver will probably go up in 10 or20 years, but no one can say for sure. I would hold them myself, you will probably do well.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2018 12:20PM

@gsxrjtt said:

If the economy gets better and more people have discretionary income they could bring a higher price.
    That said, today is just as good a time to sell VS waiting 10/20 years.
    Unless you have an accurate crystal ball.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@gsxrjtt said:

If the economy gets better and more people have discretionary income they could bring a higher price.

Agreed but anyway assume dollars will be worth much less in a decade , inflation will see to that. Start to trickle them out now and unwind your position

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few 10 oz Golden Analyitical bars rececently sold on ebay in the $200 price range. Obviously just a generic bar.

A 1980 10.44 oz Homestake gold mine silver bar recently sold on ebay for $1333. Obviously not just a generic bar.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note that allenglehard has issued an alert on fake homestake bars:

http://allengelhard.com/homestake-mining-company-2/

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Nice bars

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    gsxrjttgsxrjtt Posts: 12
    edited June 19, 2018 6:34AM

Thanks these bars have been in the same care for the last 30+ years. Another good find in this pile was a sack of 500 Pre 1964 quarters.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bars... that is quite a load of silver.... Good luck with the Homestake bars... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Looking at picking up some Homestake items any help on value is appreciated

1 .. 1oz homestake bar
    2 .. .5 oz homestake bar
    3 .. .5 oz homestake coin
    4 .. homestake coin with 1/10 gold center and 999 silver surround

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being silver is down at the present time, there should be demand.
    Just as conversely, when it's up no one wants to buy.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put them on eBay with good pics and you'll find out their true market value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@gsxrjtt said:

I agree with this. I believe th GA bars bring a better premium than what some here think. With that being said, youd have to wait for the right buyer. I'm not disagreeing with the others just seen the GA bars carry some good premiums in the past. The Homestake bars are by far the best sellers of your "lot". They carry enormous premiums. Thusly, if you were to hold them or sell them. I believe youd get the same price now as in 20 years.

• Options

@shinywhite said:

I agree with this. I believe th GA bars bring a better premium than what some here think. With that being said, youd have to wait for the right buyer. I'm not disagreeing with the others just seen the GA bars carry some good premiums in the past. The Homestake bars are by far the best sellers of your "lot". They carry enormous premiums. Thusly, if you were to hold them or sell them. I believe youd get the same price now as in 20 years.

Will the GA bring any premium if sequential serial numbers ? There were two bars out of 12 that has concesutive serial numbers

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Meh, it's possible and normally it helps to move the pieces but if you had low #'s that would be more of a +

• Options

Just picked up this GA bar today. Thought it was interesting it had a certificate with it and original receipt. Does it give it any added value ?

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gsxrjtt said:
    Just picked up this GA bar today. Thought it was interesting it had a certificate with it and original receipt. Does it give it any added value ?

Sure a paper trail adds a bit of value.
    Nice pick up.