Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unusual 1896 dollar question

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have an explanation or answer to this letter?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the markings would seem to be aligned at 12 and 6 o'clock, and not at random, I would guess that the protrusions are the remains of some sort of jewelry mounting that the coin later was broken out of.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2018 5:53AM

I don’t completely follow the inquiry, but if the coin was overstruck on an 8 reales, it could be traces of the original “colonial edge”. Coin could be a “mint sport” or a contemporary counterfeit.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway ....I may be misreading the letter, but it says "..at the woman's head and foot of eagle'...I would interpret that to mean only ONE set of markings, since that description indicates the same location between obverse and reverse...ICBW....In either case, I agree with you that the marks are likely the result of jewelry mounting... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could someone translate it? I do not speak script.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2018 8:28AM

The author sent a previous letter but it lacked the little diagram and carbon paper impression. Next time I'm at NARA maybe I can find the outgoing letter from the Mint.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad we'll never know if it had a micro-O mintmark.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I've been looking at all the counterfeit coin documents for just that identifying mark. So far, there have been few details given about any of the fakes.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @CaptHenway ....I may be misreading the letter, but it says "..at the woman's head and foot of eagle'...I would interpret that to mean only ONE set of markings, since that description indicates the same location between obverse and reverse...ICBW....In either case, I agree with you that the marks are likely the result of jewelry mounting... Cheers, RickO

Ah, you may be right. I could not read that word "woman's."

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2018 10:57AM

Odd way to mount jewelry....Large coins were not popular for jewelry use back then. Mostly gold dollars, $3 and $2.50s. Europeans especially seemed to prefer sizes smaller than a sovereign.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Odd way to mount jewelry....Large coins were not popular for jewelry use back then. Mostly gold dollars, $3 and $2.50s. Europeans especially seemed to prefer sizes smaller than a sovereign.

You have never lived out West, I take it. Silver dollars made fine jewelry!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll dismiss jewelry also. Otherwise, this is the most remarkable mount ever used for a silver dollar. Andy's post covers the best answers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file