Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1863 IHC possible new variety?

OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this 1863 IHC at the PNNA Seattle show for $6, noting the reverse retained cud that the dealer didn’t notice.

A retained cud can be seen between 1:15 and 2:30 on the reverse. Although it is hard to see in the pics, the two cracks are connected, meeting the definition of a retained cud. I checked both indianvarieties.com and David Poliquin’s webbook and could not find anything resembling this coin.

I have emailed one of the IHC variety guys with pics of the coin suggesting that it could be a new discovery. Thoughts?

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen this one. I do not know if it is listed.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive seen this also

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat coin.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snow lists a retained cud as S10, which is also a doubled die reverse. Not sure the grade is high enough to see the doubling, which shows best on the leaves on the right side of the coin.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

@RichieURich said:
    Snow lists a retained cud as S10, which is also a doubled die reverse. Not sure the grade is high enough to see the doubling, which shows best on the leaves on the right side of the coin.

As much as I wish it was, the cud is in a different position than on my coin.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Omegaraptor said:

@RichieURich said:

As much as I wish it was, the cud is in a different position than on my coin.

The S10 refers to the Snow variety in his book, the position of the cud is the same as on your coin.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 9:45PM

It seems to be close to matching to "Variety 46" on indiancentvarieties.com:

http://www.indiancentvarieties.com/1863_variety046.html
    Seems slightly different, though.

What do you think?

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't say you have a CUD until you get more than just two cracks. There are many Indians out there with cracks in one or both of those places.

Doug
  • Options

@yosclimber said:
    It seems to be close to matching to "Variety 46" on indiancentvarieties.com:

http://www.indiancentvarieties.com/1863_variety046.html
    Seems slightly different, though.

What do you think?

It doesn't seem to match up with Var 46. The 1:15 and 2:30 cracks are in slightly different positions, there is no 3:15 crack, the obverse cracks are nonexistent, and the other reverse cracks do not exist.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 10:57PM

It's the position that's most important.
    The nonexistent cracks could be from later die states.

For a cud you need a raised field along the entire crack.
    Still, the complete crack is pretty cool by itself.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, I would call that coin's issue 'die crack' and not yet a retained cud...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to agree with the above two posts. To me a cud is a die break resulting in a missing piece of the die, or a piece that is breaking away (retained). Yours seems to be a die crack, which of course could have led to a cud in a later state.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I agree with the above posts. “Retained cud” is kind of an oxymoron.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file