Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1843 Seated Half with Wild Reverse Die Cracks...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't say I remember seeing one like this. Pretty cool, I think.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like that die needed to be replaced, but if it was no more of those cool die crack coins. Nice one there.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many strikes they could get before a die like that started coming apart?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice rev crack pattern!

those anvil dies really got hammered. har har.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Wiley-Bugert (1993):

This date is one of the authors' favorites. It has numerous repunched dates and almost every tail die is dramatically and differently cracked.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the last Baltimore show Bill Bugert had an exhibit of 1843 halves with cracks. I think he identified about 30 varieties just by the cracks.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That die looks as if it is close to shattering....a real 'web' of cracks.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love these! They remind me of the RE half dollar series and all the shattered or highly cracked dies that can be found.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking half! That shattered reverse is great.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!
    Which year is the seated half with the cracks that look like the seams on a baseball?
    That one is also super cool..

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2022 9:37PM

1843 Liberty Seated No Motto Half Dollar Proof
    Grade: PCGS PR64 CAC POP 1/1/1
    Cert: PCGS 50194426
    Pedigree: Dell Loy Hansen

There are only 6-8 known 1843 proof half dollars and one with die cracks belongs to @DLHansen :)

Given that only 6-8 are known, how were the dies prepared for these? Were these proof only dies or were they polished business strike dies?

Perhaps @Currin or @JBatDavidLawrence have something to add about this one?

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Mine is a WB-12.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to own this one. Left facing wing crack to the A in STATES is consistent.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Awesome!
    Which year is the seated half with the cracks that look like the seams on a baseball?

1841-O WB2. Also 1840-O WB9.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@breakdown said:

I used to own this one. Left facing wing crack to the A in STATES is consistent.

A WB34 (R3).

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Here are some nice die cracks:

1843 Liberty Seated No Motto Half Dollar
    Grade: PCGS MS65+ CAC POP 564/14/1
    Cert: PCGS 25582849

Another WB34. A later die state than @breakdown's coin.

Here's a WB35 (R3). It has a triple-punched 43 and a bisecting reverse die crack from K-1 to K-6.

• Options

@Zoins said:

There are only 6-8 known 1843 proof half dollars and one with die cracks belongs to @DLHansen :)

Given that only 6-8 are known, how were the dies prepared for these? Were these proof only dies or were they polished business strike dies?

Cool coin but how did that coin straight grade with the reverse rim damage at 10 oclock?

• Options
    edited April 5, 2022 7:46PM

@coinJP said:

@Zoins said:

Cool coin but how did that coin straight grade with the reverse rim damage at 10 oclock?

That's nothing. It could have been net graded to PR64, but even PCGS PR70s can have damage as long as it's not in the focal area.

Here's the text from the PCGS grading page:

https://www.pcgs.com/grades#grade70

PCGS wrote:
    The PCGS 70 grading standard does allow for "as minted" defects, as long as those flaws are minor and do not impact the eye appeal of the coin.

And here's an example PCGS PR70 DCAM with a ding at 2 o'clock on the reverse.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@coinJP said:

@Zoins said:

That's nothing. It could have been net graded to PR64, but even PCGS PR70s can have damage as long as it's not in the focal area.

PCGS wrote:
    The PCGS 70 grading standard does allow for "as minted" defects, as long as those flaws are minor and do not impact the eye appeal of the coin.

The damage doesn't look "as minted" though. If they minted only 6-8, and 1 proof came out damaged I think they would reject it and melt it down?

• Options

@coinJP said:

@Zoins said:

@coinJP said:

@Zoins said:

PCGS wrote:

The damage doesn't look "as minted" though. If they minted only 6-8, and 1 proof came out damaged I think they would reject it and melt it down?

Maybe today, but probably not then.

With the PCGS $2 coins, they melted all the non-70s!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is wild. Unbelieveable that I have never ran across one. Many with small die cracks to the stars or liberty's head and a few to the reverse letters or leaves but no major die cracks, as I for sure would have had one if so. Very nice coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this 1840 O LSD the one called baseball seam die cracks? Not mine.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

No not that one. It's a different cracked reverse die.

• Options

This is the one. Photo from PCGS coin facts.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2022 2:55AM

@Barberian said:

@jayPem said:
    Awesome!

1841-O WB2. Also 1840-O WB9.

Great baseball @coinJP!

Here's the baseball CoinFacts uses for demonstration.

This coin is owned by H. Hinkle from Louisiana and is in the "400 ESPLANADE" Registry Set:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mycoinfacts/1841-o-50c/2433340/35780

H. Hinkle said:
    For a lifelong Louisiana resident and coin collector, this set seems like a no brainer...right? I remember when several boxes of treasure coins were unearthed during the Hotel Meridien renovation on Canal Street in 1982. As a child, I got one as a gift, and my collecting interest became as tenacious as Louisiana swamp mud. The history that surrounds the coins struck at the New Orleans Branch Mint is remarkable and I'll include pearls that are interesting. Completing this set will be a difficult task on many levels as some issues simply haven't withstood the test of time...not to mention the financial undertaking this will require. The typical New Orleans issue is usually found poorly struck, heavily circulated, and on average not as eye-appealing as an S-mint Morgan. It'll take a lifetime to complete, but who's in a hurry.

• Options

Great thread everyone! This is one of my favorites! I'm learning a lot about cool coins in this thread!

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

1840's half dollars have some really cool varieties from wild die cracks to a few dramatic double dates and overdates. Definitely my favorite decade for the series.

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Is this 1840 O LSD the one called baseball seam die cracks? Not mine.
    Jim

No. That's a WB-10 "Small O". This is quite common and has some nice die cracks.

The 1840-O "baseball die cracks" is WB-9. Here's CoinJP's photo...

• Options

Here's another nicely circulated one:

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best I have to offer.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file