Home Metal Detecting
Options

Now that’s a knife..

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crikey! I think technically it’s a bayonet. I found this buried at the base of a redwood tree.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks US military. Springfield rifle?

• Options

One of my friends identified it as an M1 Garand bayonet.

Looking at an eBay auction, it sure looks close.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

can you make out any of the markings on the base of the blade. Nice find. You never know what you are going to find "Dirt Fishing" :)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

that would have hurt!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... definitely a bayonet... and looks like the one pictured as well... great find.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, interesting find !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic find :smiley:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

that would wreck your day for sure. nice find as well

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

The one pictured is way too long....not the same.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2018 12:30AM

@mariner67 said:
    The one pictured is way too long....not the same.

Good eye— it appears to be the later 1943 10 inch version.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1905_bayonet

• Options
    TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

My pal had one of those when he was a kid. His dad was a garbageman and he found so much good stuff in the trash. I'm not even talking about fixer uppers I'm talking about valuable items still in their box. You wouldn't believe what people throw out. He has a basement full of guitars and other instruments from stuff left in someone's alley. He even had what looked like a genuine ww2 army helmet. I wonder if cleaning up your bayonet hurts the value of it.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an old bayonet to weed my garden. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool in any condition

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

A friend of mine was cleaning out his grandmothers house and threw out a bunch of hat boxes from the 1940s, with no idea they were worth anything.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hat boxes have collector value?? I had no idea... are there collector forums?? Cheers, RickO