Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone heard of the John Q. Adams collection?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted this also on the WAC forum because the coin was ancient. Wondering if any US coins were in the collection.

I was at our local club show today and a dealer I know bought a collection of coins and one coin was from the John Q. Adams collection. I've never heard of that before. I thought it was kind of neat. He wasn't interested in selling the coin. Sorry for crappy image.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not aware that he collected coins.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, the collection was started by his father, John Adams, and then expanded by him. Representative coins spanned the ages from Greco-Roman antiquity to JQA's lifetime. The Adams Family numismatic collection and huge trove of papers/documents were maintained by the Mass. Historical Society, which found itself unable to properly document and preserve them by the mid-twentieth century. The coin collection was transferred to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, where Corneleus Vermeule oversaw its cataloging. The Historical Society decided to sell coins to raise money to catalog and microfilm the Adams Family documents, and Stack's was chosen as the auction house to oversee this. Sales were held in 1971 and in 1973.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to have something from that collection.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have an ancient Roman brockage from his collection.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I also had a Mexican proclamation piece from the collection but I sold it. It did bring a premium, but it was individually catalogued, though not pictured. I thought it was neat to consider that JQA might have handled it as a child. I think that the Massachusetts Historical Society sold other numismatic holdings at the same time, so provenance to the ex. pres was not assured.

I recently went through a large collection of coins from a dealer friend and many of those coins, dozens of them, in fact, had those same inserts. I bought a few. The trick is to find out what lot it your coin was from. Only the choicest coins were photographed, as plates, and the photographs are not high quality by today's standards. I suspect that your coin came from the collection, but from a group lot.

The catalogues are available on line...I found them after some searching. If you email me, I'll send you the links.

Tom

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Tom, but I don't own the coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one I picked up.

Q. Antonius Balbus 83-82 B.C.
    AR Serrate Denarius 20mm. 4.06g. Rome Mint
    Laureate head of Jupiter r., S.C behind; R below chin.
    Victory in quadriga r., holding palm-branch and wreath; In ex.: Q.ANTO.BALB / PR
    Crawford 364/1b; RSC Antonia 1a

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy...That is a nice Denarius..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Swampboy...That is a nice Denarius..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting; he represented the best culture of the day, and as such I am not surprised he was a follower this great hobby.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2018 8:22AM

Several very rare items departed the MFA collections as if they were common. This includes the only known 1908 $5 Indian pattern piece. But what passed for research scholarship back then was mostly copy-cat stuff -- much like using the internet today. ;(

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats the first ive heard of it

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many merchant, middle and upper economic class families had nice collections of coins. These were dominated by ancients and more modern European types. It appears American coins were thought of more as "money to spend" than "coins to collect."

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was born in 1767. Can you imagine the US coin collection he COULD have had?

• Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

JQ Adams was Minister (ambassador) to Russia during the Napoleonic era. He
    picked up a fair number of Russian coins and medals while there, of which I
    obtained several from the 1971 auction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file