Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lighting comparison

rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shot a Lincoln Cent (1954-S RPM #4, slightly off-center) using 3 lighting techniques: Smile Directors, Lens-Mounted Diffuser, and "Axial Smiles". The Smile Directors put the light reflections just outside the diameter of the coin (to eliminate glare on slab surfaces), where the Axial Smiles allow reflections (only good for raw coins). The Lens-Mounted Diffuser is sized to allow glare. Here is an animation showing the effect of the the 3 methods on the "look" of the coin:

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty neat. For me, I could live with them all. They each seem to depict the coin accurately.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the Axial Smiles gives the coin closest to color in-hand?

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    I'm guessing the Axial Smiles gives the coin closest to color in-hand?

Both the Diffuser and Axial Smile Director give a nearly axial result, so the colors for both match an in-hand view with a single light and direct reflection. Only part of the coin that is not direct reflecting is the center of the bust. The Smilies have the perfect curve to show direct reflection on the fields when pushed close enough to the lens, but don't produce the strong shadow effect of true axial lighting.

Many folks will slightly tilt the coin in order to do what I call "pseudo-axial", and this also gives a similar effect.

The advantage of the Smile Directors is you can move them "just outside" the radius of the coin, and achieve near-axial lighting. This gives best color you can achieve on slabbed coins without glare.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

U R beyond good of a photographer @rmpsrpms .....it is ALL SMILE to me :)

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice photos.....Axial Smiles really jumps out at you.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures... far beyond my photo skills or lighting comprehension.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

I am not asking you to divulge a proprietor technique but I am captivated by the image overlay fade transition. Without revealing your trade secrets, how is this done? I realize it is multiple images “stacked” but is the fade transition effect captured by video software? The other fascinating aspect of the image is that the “video” is dynamic and does not need a mouse-click to play. What type of file format creates the auto-dynamic image? I realize these questions may be more than you wish to answer. I just thought I would ask. Your incredible images and techniques always astound me and are inspirational. Thanks for the post and expanding my concepts of coin photography.

unus multorum
  • Options

The image is an animated GIF. I use ezgif.com for all my animations. It's very basic but allows you to adjust timings and transitions, and does it all in the cloud.

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

@rmpsrpms said:
    The image is an animated GIF. I use ezgif.com for all my animations. It's very basic but allows you to adjust timings and transitions, and does it all in the cloud.

Thank you! I am forever in your debt :D:D

unus multorum
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice photos.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file