Home U.S. Coin Forum

J.Wiener Paris Industrial Expo Medal

KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any info would be appreciated with this J.Wiener Paris Industrial Expo

Thanks.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try posting this on the world/ancient forum. More likely to find a Wiener collector there (always wanted to call someone that...). Seriously, have seen a couple nice Wieners (medals!) over there. All I can tell you is what Google-fu could pull up, and that Wiener made amazing architectural medals.

• KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork

Thanks, we'll do.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off the top of my head.
    This medal is unlisted by Kamp. Not sure about Hoydonck.
    The reverse and obverse dies were used on several different medals.

This example does not look genuine.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one I have not seen before... It does look like a casting of the original though... Cheers, RickO

Thanks for the info/comments. If fake, thank goodness I didn't pay much for it. I did some web searches though and found pictures of some legitimate samples and those samples have a "zinc" stamped on the edge. My sample does have similar "zinc" stamped on the edge and if viewed thru magnifier looks like corroded or the metal is being eaten up or something. Anyway, thanks again.

• BoncuBoncu Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

It's genuine - with the edge marked "ZINC" and a pointing hand. This material is prone to corrosion (zinc pest) and these medals usually turn up in poor grades.

Large examples (diameter 68 mm) in copper exist without edge marks ::

@Boncu
    Thanks for the confirmation. I love that large example you have posted, is that yours? I'm going to have to hunt that sample on the net. Also your avatar/user icon looks like a silver, I have that medal in bronze.

• BoncuBoncu Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

@Knell
    Yes, that's mine. The die combination Pavilion du Nord/Vue des Galeries is scarcer than the combinations with Napoleon III & Eugenie - whether copper or zinc. And you're right : my avatar Münsterkirche zu Aachen is indeed silver - the pride of my Cathedral series ...

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boncu said:
    Here's another fascinating interior view of the Palais de l'Industrie - described by van Hoydonck (139 reverse), but unfortunately not illustrated :

Cool! Now that has a neat optical illusion effect.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always loved this guys work! I will add one to my collection, one day!

@Boncu

Wow! That is another nice medal, another to hunt for. I now have 7 Wiener medals, I got hooked earlier last year. I have 2 of London Saint Paul Cathedral by Wiener one in English legend and the other in French legend. I also collect non-Wiener medal as long as it is 3D or high relief/architecturals.

• numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

The Wiener architectural medals never disappoint and are impressive pieces of art. I always like to have a few in my inventory at any given time.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

@Boncu

Just bought one of the medal you posted ("VUE DES GALERIES") off eBay and looking forward to receiving them from France (hopefully it arrives without any problem). Now I will have a 68mm Bronze medal to compare with the smaller zinc version.
    Thanks.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 11:17AM

Got to looking on ebay

Is there more than one Wiener producing medals?

They look impressive.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

@yspsales
    Go to historicalartmedals.com for Ben Weiss medal collections to learn more about Wiener medals.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at these medals, one would think you could walk right into them. They have a strange 3D effect

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file