Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS "Sniffer" and Chemical Analysis

cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2018 3:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have heard conflicting information about whether PCGS still uses this technology. Is the sniffer still used? If not, does anyone know why it was discontinued?

Comments

• Options

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

His name is Fido, Rover or Spot. I forgot which one.

• Options

@DonWillis Does PCGS still use the sniffer?

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect they do at the Secure level. I recently submitted 6 MS Barbers purchased raw from the same collection at the Secure level. I didn't treat them in any way before submitting as all looked good. Usually I'll dip in acetone if there's any PVC doubt. Half the coins came back bagged for PVC residue all though there were no visible signs of PVC.

When I received the coins back I dipped them in acetone and submitted them in the standard level- we'll see what happens.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easier to cage a tiger than walk it on its leash. I think the same thoughts regarding a "sniffer".

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

When I received the coins back I dipped them in acetone and submitted them in the standard level- we'll see what happens.

Did the acetone get a green tinge afterwards?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS hasn't talked about the Sniffer for years. When SecurePlus was introduced in early 2010 it was promoted heavily. If the dog barked it found one of the banned chemicals.

Since, SecurePlus has evolved, been given a new name, its fingerprint technology has continued, and True Views have been added. Yet not a word about the Sniffer.

Perhaps it is still used but PCGS does not feel collectors see a value-add. It's my opinion it has been shelved. But I know nothing!
    Lance.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they have the technology, they'll probably still use it when suspicious of a coin. Sort of like a not-so-random drug test. Of course, if it never detects much or the ROC is no good, maybe they never bother anymore.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Did the acetone get a green tinge afterwards?

Nope.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suspect it gets little use, since the AT market is so good...and most AT can be done with standard chemicals that cause NT....So there would be nothing to be gained... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file