Options

Grade me - 1914-D Quarter Eagle

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2018 11:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 60-mine. <3o:)B)

I never used to like these but now I see so many gems you folks post and I'm getting an itch ;)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

58? Tough to tell

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    58? Tough to tell

+1 but I stink at grading these.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

55/58 tough series for me to grade.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45, maybe a stretch to AU50, congrats

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

ms61

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think an Indian $2.5 can be graded from a picture with any degree of accuracy.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62, maybe 63.

thefinn
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks 62ish. I love those pretty little Indian quarter eagles and the half eagles. A beautiful design. One of my favorite coins.
    Nice piece.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one looks 55... in hand, maybe 50....My favorite gold coin design.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot take photos this good, but IMO, you need a different camera or lighting as the image is flat. The coin is loaded with luster so it will be graded MS in spite of a little friction. Due to the image, it is at least a "commercial" Unc - MS-62 so I'll hold my nose and guess it has been graded MS-63.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it's the lighting, but it looks to be ex-jewelry. There looks to be a bezel ring around much of the obv and rev.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

• Options
    edited June 17, 2018 9:43AM

@astrorat said:
    Perhaps it's the lighting, but it looks to be ex-jewelry. There looks to be a bezel ring around much of the obv and rev.

That "ring" you see is common for some dates in this series. It indicates "worn dies." I don't recall seeing this on a counterfeit - yet.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@astrorat said:

That "ring" you see is common for some dates in this series. It indicates "worn dies." I don't recall seeing this on a counterfeit - yet.

Thanks, I was not aware of that diagnostic for worn dies.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

1914-D, 1925-D, and 1910 are common to have this ring.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@astrorat said:

1914-D, 1925-D, and 1910 are common to have this ring.

Additional thanks. :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice grade, lovely coin.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow severely overgraded. Don't ever crack that one. Maybe try for sticker then quickly dump it on fleabay.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

That ring just inside the edge is actually "die erosion". As others have pointed out, it's indicative of a worn out die.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2018 8:50AM

@blitzdude said:
    wow severely overgraded. Don't ever crack that one. Maybe try for sticker then quickly dump it on fleabay.

I disagree. All of us posting can discuss the coin. You can start. Please explain your position - "severely overgraded" - by addressing what you see on the coin concerning:

1. Luster
    2. Marks
    3. Strike
    4. Eye appeal
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't tell much from the photos.... You don't need a new camera, just better lighting.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

I disagree. Not over graded at all from what I see in fact I almost said 63. I think you’re being pretty rough on this coin .

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said: " I think you’re being pretty rough on this coin."

I don't think "rough" is the appropriate description. Hopefully, as soon as the member replies with his observations, we can possibly guide him to refine his opinion. o:)

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Can't tell much from the photos.... You don't need a new camera, just better lighting.

What part of these photos need improvement?

• Options

too pixelated - especially obverse.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62 was my grade. I have a 62 and mine looks similar. :wink:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2018 2:33PM

What parts need improvement.... Well, compare your photo to one of those made by PCGS of the same date/mint coin. Examine highlight and shadow detail, over all sharpness and resolution. Digital photos direct from the camera can be sharpened a little, but too much creates "pixel noise" and excess image compression with JPEG (or others) adds an additional layer of defect. For Pratt's sunk relief design you want to be able to show a lot of field detail - it's the highest part and often the first to show wear. Then the highest parts of the indian and eagle.

There are a bunch of good threads on here about coin photography.

Here's a PCGS 1914-D photo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file