Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

EBay Blocked

Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Blocked by seller for returning undersized card. Seller accepted my return on raw card and gave me a full credit. Seller honest enough not to put card back up for sale, card was undersized (trimmed).

Seller now has PSA graded cards for sale and I have my eye on 10 or more cards. BLOCKED from bidding, seller lost out on $100's of extra dollars. I know sellers can block anyone they want to, also know their are 100's of these cards for sale, so no big deal, will buy from someone else. I have a EBay rating in the 700's with 100% feedback.

Why block a buyer when they are obviously right about a trimmed card, or did the seller think I trimmed card and sent it back. It would have been a great card for my collection.

Comments

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Anything noticeably undersized would be easily seen when viewing the picture if you have any experience with the issue. Noticeably undersized does not necessarily mean the card has been trimmed. Sometimes when people contact ebay/seller to justify the return their apocalyptic comments regarding the card or seller can rub somebody the wrong way. Please note that somebody else will be bidding on those PSA graded cards so the seller will not lose hundreds of dollars. Somebody who may not return one if it happens to be noticeably undersized and perfectly fine.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2018 3:33PM

@KbKards said:
    Anything noticeably undersized would be easily seen when viewing the picture if you have any experience with the issue. Noticeably undersized does not necessarily mean the card has been trimmed. Sometimes when people contact ebay/seller to justify the return their apocalyptic comments regarding the card or seller can rub somebody the wrong way. Please note that somebody else will be bidding on those PSA graded cards so the seller will not lose hundreds of dollars. Somebody who may not return one if it happens to be noticeably undersized and perfectly fine.

Measured it against a known good card and determined it was undersized. How about the seller who had the card in hand, why did he not see it was undersized.?

They did lose money, how much is to be determined....

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @1951WheatiesPremium when you have a return on a low value item it just is not worth it. I am not saying that you had not right to send back. I agree with what you did. But perhaps he thought it was pictured and described well enough for the sale and the return rubbed him wrong. Anyway your correct, many more sellers to buy from.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey Mays I had a similar issue not to long ago with a card that arrived with 2 distinct gouges that weren't visible in the seller's scans. The auction scan had the card inside of a one screw holder then got delivered in a magnetic one touch holder and when the seller switched cases he must have dropped the front half of the case on the card because the two prongs on bottom lined up on the gouges. After contacting him before filing a return,he was eager to give me a refund while saying he would like my repeat business. He had many Jordan inserts that I wanted so I told him i'd use the $30 refund on a different card and ended up spending twice that on my second purchase from him. I have no doubt the guy knew about the damage and sent it anyways but where he had more stuff i was interested in I didn't make a bigger deal of it other than asking for the return.
    There's not much you can do unless you open a second ebay account to keep buying from your seller but even then the guy might remember your name & address and could cancel anything you attempt to buy.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why block a buyer

Good question.

Did you contact the seller and ask why you were blocked.

I assume the seller has a return policy? As you said - if you had a legitimate return - why block?

Mike
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2018 3:38PM

Did not contact the seller, no time, bidding in auction. Seller had return policy, it was an amicable return and refund with no negative feedback. I have more than 700 EBay transactions and 100% feedback, I don't consider myself a pain in the a$$ buyer.

Today I wanted to buy 10 PSA graded cards, auction over now, I see what the cards sold for, seller could easily have made another $200 - $250 if he did not block me. There will be other auctions.......

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey Mays said:
    Blocked by seller for returning undersized card. Seller accepted my return on raw card and gave me a full credit. Seller honest enough not to put card back up for sale, card was undersized (trimmed).

Seller now has PSA graded cards for sale and I have my eye on 10 or more cards. BLOCKED from bidding, seller lost out on $100's of extra dollars. I know sellers can block anyone they want to, also know their are 100's of these cards for sale, so no big deal, will buy from someone else. I have a EBay rating in the 700's with 100% feedback.

Why block a buyer when they are obviously right about a trimmed card, or did the seller think I trimmed card and sent it back. It would have been a great card for my collection.

It's hard not to have 100% positive feedback as a buyer.

Alex Relyea

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Why block a buyer

Good question.

I assume the seller has a return policy? As you said - if you had a legitimate return - why block?

Not all buyers are profitable.

• Options

@daltex said:

@Mickey Mays said:

Alex Relyea

Most of my feedback as seller

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey Mays said:

@daltex said:

@Mickey Mays said:

Alex Relyea

Most of my feedback as seller

OK, but still, seller feedback doesn't provide a good indication of a problem buyer.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have a link to the listing for the card in question by any chance?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't take it personal.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I wouldn't take it personal.

I don't, its a slow news day.... Over and Out !

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

@Stone193 said:

Why block a buyer

Good question.

Not all buyers are profitable.

I don't understand what this means?

Is it some kind of eBay lingo I'm unfamiliar?

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Sorry Mike, but this is above your pay grade

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense to the OP, and my comments here are not intended in any manner to reflect on him, just expressing my viewpoint on the way I operate on Ebay...but anytime I have the least tiniest bit problem with a buyer on Ebay, they get blocked. I figure that I don't need the aggravation, and irritating buyers seem to have a personality trait of being more irritating the more you deal with them.

I even block buyers who are irritating with their correspondence on best offers. This may sound crazy, but I had this one buyer who kept sending me a number of snide remarks about a high dollar item that he thought should sell for a lot cheaper. He sent some lowball offers which I declined. Finally after another offer, I sent him a counter offer of $600. This jerk sends me back a counter offer of $599.99 - I not only refused the counter offer, I blocked him.

So that may seem crazy refusing a sale for $600 over a penny, but my viewpoint is that I would ship the item, and he would have complained about something else, or possibly tried to scam me in some way. BTW: I wound up eventually selling the item for more than $600 so i got the last laugh.

The only buyer I've ever unblocked, contacted me and very nicely asked to unblock him, that he really wanted one of my items on Ebay. So I did unblock him, and he paid promptly, and became a good customer. The OP may want to try that...contact the seller and ask in his own nice way to please be unblocked...if he wishes to do that at this point.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Agree with stevek. I operate the same way.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

SteveK hit the nail on the head. I do the EXACT same thing.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 7:21AM

@stevek said:
    No offense to the OP, and my comments here are not intended in any manner to reflect on him, just expressing my viewpoint on the way I operate on Ebay...but anytime I have the least tiniest bit problem with a buyer on Ebay, they get blocked. I figure that I don't need the aggravation, and irritating buyers seem to have a personality trait of being more irritating the more you deal with them.

I even block buyers who are irritating with their correspondence on best offers. This may sound crazy, but I had this one buyer who kept sending me a number of snide remarks about a high dollar item that he thought should sell for a lot cheaper. He sent some lowball offers which I declined. Finally after another offer, I sent him a counter offer of $600. This jerk sends me back a counter offer of $599.99 - I not only refused the counter offer, I blocked him.

So that may seem crazy refusing a sale for $600 over a penny, but my viewpoint is that I would ship the item, and he would have complained about something else, or possibly tried to scam me in some way. BTW: I wound up eventually selling the item for more than $600 so i got the last laugh.

The only buyer I've ever unblocked, contacted me and very nicely asked to unblock him, that he really wanted one of my items on Ebay. So I did unblock him, and he paid promptly, and became a good customer. The OP may want to try that...contact the seller and ask in his own nice way to please be unblocked...if he wishes to do that at this point.

This. You had every right to return the card. However, returns can kill a seller in lost time and expense. Unfortunately, some buyers think of Ebay sellers like big box retailers with large profit margins where the customer is always right. I recently had a buyer return a graded card because he disagreed with PSAs grade. I had to pay the shipping both ways because he put item not as described as the reason. Blocked.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I generally wont block a buyer if the reason for a return is legit, but if the reason is insignificant or if its such a small dollar item that it is pointless, I will apply the block. Had a guy return a lot, because he said he "changed his mind", then about a month later messaged me to unblock his account.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't sell much on eBay but I operate the same way SteveK does.

Convenience & Peace of Mind > Couple extra dollars in the sale

Arthur

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I was blocked one time for leaving neutral feedback. Seller kept promising to remove cards from the Registry, but would not do it. On the last day I left neutral feedback. Just moved on.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people on eBay are way too sensitive -- many probably even need professional psychiatric help. But with millions of anonymous users and very little oversight, behavior like this should be occasionally expected. Definitely move on.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markj111 said:
    I was blocked one time for leaving neutral feedback. Seller kept promising to remove cards from the Registry, but would not do it. On the last day I left neutral feedback. Just moved on.

All you needed to do was to send a removal request through PSA. If they weren't removed in three business days you can take a picture or scan of the front and back of the cards and send them to PSA. PSA will remove them within a couple days
    James

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:

@markj111 said:

All you needed to do was to send a removal request through PSA. If they weren't removed in three business days you can take a picture or scan of the front and back of the cards and send them to PSA. PSA will remove them within a couple days
    James

Of course. My scanner was broken. Guy told me at least 4 times he waould delete them. He did after the neutral feedback.