Where you could just lite one up at a ballgame!! LOL

Comments

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018 10:41AM

Or driving the race car!

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

It's amazing how many Topps cards show a player not being successful. Fergosi has obviously fouled it off. The Clemente card looks like he's taking a strike. Pat Corrales is laid out, etc.

My little league coach would smoke in our dugout. By accident he burned my hand with his cig. When I told my parents they said be more careful around his cigarette! Those were the days!

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

No access to images of the cards, but aren't there several cards with cigarette adds in the background, cartoon, etc. Thinking Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan...

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

The amount of change in a lifetime is scary!

Remember when if you didn't get to the bank on Friday, you just had no money til Monday?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

The grocery store down the street would cash my dad's paycheck.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Phone numbers started with 2 letters

TA4-3381

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZTarg said:
    Phone numbers started with 2 letters

TA4-3381

Our phone # had two letters followed by four numbers. It was a party line. I pick up the phone to make a call and I hear the neighbors having a conversation. I remember being on the phone and I hear the neighbor asking me to end my call so they can make one. But, no, I didn't have to crank it up.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

You actually had to get off of the couch to change the channel, and the choices on the knob were only numbered 2 through 13.

Soda pop came in glass bottles, all kids rode bicycles for transportation (without helmets), and bubble gum companies actually included gum with their bubble gum cards.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Had to turn the knob on car radio to be able to tune in a radio station

PackManInNC
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Actually get out of your car to get food at McDonalds!! The horror of it all!

PackManInNC
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

You wore a hip pack for your CD player, which also had space for a travel album with the various favorite CDs that you could then easily change out on a whim, just to listen to one song, before easily changing again to the next CD.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Movie premieres on network tv were a big thing (or event ;) ) : Planet of the Apes, Earthquake, etc.
    Family piled in the car headed to Bantam Chef for Banana Splits, Sundaes, etc.
    Riding in the back of the Chevy Silverado on the interstate was a right of passage into adulthood B)
    Lynda Carter was Wonder Woman.
    In my case, the 70's are loved and missed :)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The good ole days for me Kirk?

When I could bend over without getting dizzy.

Mike
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

No zip codes. :*

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

In every age, ‘the good old days’ were a myth. No one ever thought they were good at the time. For every age has consisted of crisis that seemed intolerable to the people who lived through them. -- Brooks Atkinson
    Whatever does not kill you makes you stronger, right? Negative emotions prepare you for the realities of life; they are more useful for long-term survival than positive emotions.

So, should it not be that negative emotions scar you deeper, you will remember them better in the future? It might seem as if the FAB is a counter-intuitive finding.

However, negative emotions only “make you stronger” because of the FAB. Challenges and difficulties do scar us, but with time, you will not remember them as negative anymore.

Just as with my first month in India, we reinterpret negative experiences as transformative moments. In this way, instead of keeping the memory of the real negative event as it was, we make our story a narrative of success achieved through suffering.

One of the main reasons why this happens is because maintaining an intense negative emotion simply places unnecessary burdens on our brains, hearts and general health.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    The good ole days for me Kirk?

When I could bend over without getting dizzy.

Winner!! I feel ya

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    In every age, ‘the good old days’ were a myth. No one ever thought they were good at the time. For every age has consisted of crisis that seemed intolerable to the people who lived through them. -- Brooks Atkinson
    Whatever does not kill you makes you stronger, right? Negative emotions prepare you for the realities of life; they are more useful for long-term survival than positive emotions.

So, should it not be that negative emotions scar you deeper, you will remember them better in the future? It might seem as if the FAB is a counter-intuitive finding.

However, negative emotions only “make you stronger” because of the FAB. Challenges and difficulties do scar us, but with time, you will not remember them as negative anymore.

Just as with my first month in India, we reinterpret negative experiences as transformative moments. In this way, instead of keeping the memory of the real negative event as it was, we make our story a narrative of success achieved through suffering.

One of the main reasons why this happens is because maintaining an intense negative emotion simply places unnecessary burdens on our brains, hearts and general health.

You're making a good but slightly incorrect point. I had good times in the past. I will again in the future. But I know what phenomenon you are describing: that idea that we tend to sugarcoat most of our memories. I agree; most of us do this. Most of us, though, on some level and in our own way, pine for our youth. Even if we didn't have it that great, we were unburdened by what we didn't yet know and delighted by what may come next.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 9:52PM

Even if we didn't have it that great, we were unburdened by what we didn't yet know and delighted by what may come next.

I like.

For me, it's our dreams that keep us alive and our good memories provide a sense of nostalgia - why many of us enjoy collecting things.

It's a way to hold onto those memories.

Mike