Home Metal Detecting
Options

First detector....ready to go!

Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it’s been about 25 years since I have owned a detector so I’m chomping at the bit to get out there. We do a lot of camping and I’m hoping that metal detecting around the campgrounds will keep my daughter from staring at her phone all day. I figured I’ll use the detector and she can use the pin-pointer. We will share the digging. We are going to keep a mason jar of all the coins we find and see how long it takes to pay for the machine. I went with a cheaper entry level machine (Garrett Ace 300) just to learn the basics.
We have a trip planned this weekend in southern Connecticut so I hope to report some great findings on Monday for you guys.
Bob

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure wouldn't call it camping if you have cell service. lol

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 4:04PM

@AUandAG said:
    I sure wouldn't call it camping if you have cell service. lol

Sir, I call it camping if there's no room service.
    :)

• Options

My son and daughter thought Meriott was camping until they got about 9 or so! I see your point. Here in Nevada if you get off the road a mile or more you have no service. We have a lot of our state that has NO service whatsoever and that's my idea of camping!!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

The smartphone has become a big part of life today for most... without it most are lost.. heck when you think about it you don't even have to leave your home to go fishing, hunting, camping, skydiving etc..or travel around the world or even go into space... just put the smartphone into the head set on.. and away you go..right from your favorite chair.

Good luck..it will be fun.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it will be a fun trip.... Will it be a regular campground? Back country camping would probably not turn up much, unless in the Northeast and around old colonial areas...Look forward to hear about the trip and what you find. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I did some testing on it last night to try and get familiar with the different tones sent from various objects. Did some clad coins, silver coins, gold jewelry, foil, iron, etc.
    I don’t expect to find much at the campgrounds. Some rusty tent stakes and pull tabs. Not the type of venue in which people carry lots of money and jewelry on them. Bare necessities only. If I can get familiar with the machine and learn a technique, I’ll consider it a win regardless of what I find.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 300 is supposed to be a great machine.
    Good luck

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Ok, we arrived home this morning with my bounty. Found a lot of nails, and pull tabs. Ended up with 2 nickels, 4 dimes and 6 pennies. All modern clad. Had fun even though I only got about an hour or two of detecting in. Still learning the different pitch in tones. I’ll be going out again next weekend.

• Options

Another 700 outings like this and you'll have it paid for!! Actually, you did great for your first time out!!

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Another 700 outings like this and you'll have it paid for!! Actually, you did great for your first time out!!

Haha, I have 700 more outings in me. I enjoyed myself. My daughter liked it but it was rocky digging and she was having a hard time with it. Can’t wait to un-earth my first silver coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds... and the nails/pulltabs are a part of MD'ing life...especially in parks and lawns....metal debris is even common around old cellar holes and stone walls...However, treasure is out there... Keep beepin'...Cheers, RickO

• Options

The junk is just part of detecting.

I dug about 25+ beer cans this weekend, plus over 100 bottle caps and too many to count pull tabs.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

I dug about 25+ beer cans this weekend, plus over 100 bottle caps and too many to count pull tabs.

Was the search a waste of time or did ya find something?

bob

• Options

@AUandAG said:

@Treashunt said:

Was the search a waste of time or did ya find something?

bob

Look here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1000873/saturday-sunday-june-16-17-2018#latest

Frank

BHNC #203