Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Can anyone identify this Richard I coin?

In my search for a Richard I (Lion Heart) coin, one of my reference books, “England’s Striking History,” had this line drawing of a Richard I coin which has a portrait. I searched the Internet a number of times and have been unable to find this piece. What is it, and is it a French coin? If it does exist, how rare is it?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

I'm curious so I googled the legend and found this old book that refers to this as an old forgery

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for finding that!

I wondered why I could never get a listing on this piece.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?