Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Century Type Set. (1 coin from each century) 26 Centuries of Coinage.

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice idea and very nice collection :smile:
    Wait until @Timbuk3 sees this.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

A very nice set and one that clearly took time and effort to put together.
    The 2000 Sac dollar coin, however, is 20th century, not 21st. This is easily
    rectified with a post–2000 coin.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great concept

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen that done. Nice set and idea.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool set. I'm impressed. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set! Two earlier centuries are available as well if you had the opportunity to acquire them:

600-500BC from ancient Lydia, with a coin from King Croesus:

700-600BC from ancient Ionia, the first coin, made from electrum with striations representing the waves in the water:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot even finish my 40 coin basic US Type set :smile:
    I applaud you :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! Now that is a type set. I am impressed.

• Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Tricky part was finding undated coins that did not overlap centuries. Many coins are dated in a range that could fall into more than one century. Like circa 450-550 bc. I had to exclude all those to make this work and only use coins that could be definitively dated within a calendar century.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is an amazing set!!!

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Great set! Two earlier centuries are available as well if you had the opportunity to acquire them:

600-500BC from ancient Lydia, with a coin from King Croesus:

700-600BC from ancient Ionia, the first coin, made from electrum with striations representing the waves in the water:

One of the problems with these as far as putting them in my set is that they are too thick to be slabbed.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2018 2:50PM

Maybe too thick for an ANACS slab, but there are other options.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/992444/nyinc-show-new-world-tpg-geni-and-a-small-request

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only impressive but a great idea, too! I see that you use the same slab pages that I do.

edited June 12, 2018 3:15PM

@koynekwest said:
    Not only impressive but a great idea, too! I see that you use the same slab pages that I do.

Eagle Coin holder album and pages. :)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought about doing that, only in gold, several decades ago. I never got around to starting.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool century set, thanks for sharing, i wonder who will fill the 22nd century slot?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a mosts wonderful collection. I know it was hard, but I imagine such an enjoyment with each century collected. Thank you for sharing such a unique set.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a unique - and very attractive - set of coins. I have never heard of a century set before.... Well done and a true achievement. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea! It is a way to add interest to a collection. Non-collectors would even be impressed by it and that is a real feat today!

All glory is fleeting.
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Congratulations, that is a great set. I've always thought about putting together that set but always put off starting it.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

TOO DERN COOL !!!

<3

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

THANK YOU for this post.
    That is the first thing I've seen in the past year or more that has a shot at rekindling any interest in coins for ...me.
    That is amazing.
    It could be the antidote for my CAC induced disgust with numismatics.

You should be justifiably proud of that collection. And I mean "collection" in the strictest sense of the word.

I'm stunned.

Are there any "stopper" centuries? This could be my new lease on interest for coins.

And being that the first one is my birth year ;) it could have a personal attachment, too.

WELL DONE !!

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alltheabove76 said:
    Tricky part was finding undated coins that did not overlap centuries. Many coins are dated in a range that could fall into more than one century. Like circa 450-550 bc. I had to exclude all those to make this work and only use coins that could be definitively dated within a calendar century.

Thanks for the explanation of this detail. I like your set very much. But I wonder about the 1921 Morgan - although clearly it dates from the 20th century, its style seems more an artifact of the 19th century. Does it represent something personal to your collection?

@carabonnair said:

@Alltheabove76 said:

Thanks for the explanation of this detail. I like your set very much. But I wonder about the 1921 Morgan - although clearly it dates from the 20th century, its style seems more an artifact of the 19th century. Does it represent something personal to your collection?

To be honest, when I built this collection about 8 years ago, I originally had a 1909-S Lincoln Cent in that slot, but I ended up needing it elsewhere and the 1921 Morgan was the only other 20th century ANACS I had around to put there. :p

@topstuf said:
    THANK YOU for this post.
    That is the first thing I've seen in the past year or more that has a shot at rekindling any interest in coins for ...me.
    That is amazing.
    It could be the antidote for my CAC induced disgust with numismatics.

You should be justifiably proud of that collection. And I mean "collection" in the strictest sense of the word.

I'm stunned.

Are there any "stopper" centuries? This could be my new lease on interest for coins.

And being that the first one is my birth year ;) it could have a personal attachment, too.

WELL DONE !!

Thank you. The 1478 dated coin is one of the earliest examples of a dated coin. Very tough to find them before that. Finding Silver in the post classical period was also tough which led to a lot of copper Byzantine coins. But, if I had it to do all over again, I think I would strive to keep the set completely silver if possible.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2018 7:42AM

@1630Boston said:
    Very nice idea and very nice collection :smile:
    Wait until @Timbuk3 sees this.
    Thanks for sharing it.

I’m gonna go out on a limb that he’ll say “!!! :smile:

Speaking as myself again, that is a great idea for a type set. Did you set any rules for yourself besides the cross-century one? Which century is the hardest?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file