Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone found plain edge Washington dollars in bank rolls ?

thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking about these and I looked at roll prices on ebay. Rolls seem to have a very, very small premium.
Has anyone found the plain edge coins in rolls? Do you think it would be worth looking ?

Comments

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

When they were first disbursed in 2007, many were found in rolls from banks. I have found >100 smooth edge Washie dollars.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say that 18 years later, the odds of finding
    any MEL's in unopened rolls are slim to none.

The vast majority of them were found in
    Florida, so if you find any orig. rolls from
    that area, you might have a very very small
    chance of finding them, but in 18 years, most
    rolls have been opened and searched from the
    discovery areas.

To buy a roll, and pay postage, to get to look
    at 25 coins is not a good deal, imo.

I'd be much more positive about your chances
    if you found an unopened Brick of 'em ($1,000 box)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

As FW said, Florida held the jackpot. I guess it was like shooting fish in a barrel for people roll searching in certain areas. But, the distribution was not random. I assume the chance of finding a smooth edge elsewhere is about the same as finding a random smooth edge of any design, or another error for that matter.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why the 2007 Washington smooth edge errors are so cheap? a major error and the population is not real high

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pops are high imo - add in NGC and ANACS,
    and there's plenty of them to go around for anyone
    who wants one - they've had 18 years to purchase one.

There's over 100,000 of them, as I recall from the info
    back 15-18 years ago.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great information guys. I had no idea that Florida was the place. I guess I had mistakenly assumed that distribution was random.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information... that saves me some time... I was going to go check my accumulation (early effort when they first came out)...However, I am sure I obtained them in WA state... so I will go vacuum the pool instead... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I remember the story at the time, there was an entire cart [thousands of coins] that missed the edge lettering step.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    I was just thinking about these and I looked at roll prices on ebay. Rolls seem to have a very, very small premium.
    Has anyone found the plain edge coins in rolls? Do you think it would be worth looking ?

I found several hundred of them back in 2007 when I lived in Florida. Sold them all on ebay when they were still fresh and bring in decent $$

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

It was 13 not 18 years ago.

At the time I had access to as many $1000 boxes as I wanted and a local bank with a coin counting machine.
    I'm in Charlotte NC area and found around 500 GW MELs.

There was a magic date on boxes to look for but I believe all the $1000 boxes are gone....................

• Options

Sorry..........11 not 13 years ago.

• Options

One problem now is cost of error grading.

It is a losing deal unless you score a MS67

• Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

I just saw one of these in my local coin shop yesterday for the first time. I'm in Wisconsin and they had it in the junk bin for $15. I almost bought it but I don't really collect the series and I would just be adding to the hoard of coins. Eh, maybe I might just go back though too....who knows.

The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@achtey said:
    I just saw one of these in my local coin shop yesterday for the first time. I'm in Wisconsin and they had it in the junk bin for $15. I almost bought it but I don't really collect the series and I would just be adding to the hoard of coins. Eh, maybe I might just go back though too....who knows.

Wow! Now they are junk! If it was slabbed I would have grabbed it.

• Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@achtey said:

It wasn't slabbed unfortunately....just in a 2x2. But still kind of a cool coin to see in the junk bin.

The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2018 6:03AM

@achtey said:

@JBK said:

@achtey said:

It wasn't slabbed unfortunately....just in a 2x2. But still kind of a cool coin to see in the junk bin.

The proprietors must know it is not too "junky" if they want that kind of premium for it.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file