Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this 1984 a doubled die??

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 12, 2018 7:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not new here, but I have this in my box of Lincolns. Looks like pretty strong doubling on the ear.

(ok, yes, this is an OGH 67RD. Sorry for the clickbait, but just for once wouldn't you like to open one of these threads and see an actual DDO??)

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine doubling. :D

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like DDO on the ear to me.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2018 8:08PM

Without a doubt. Nice coin!!!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks you got one!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Finally! A boy who DIDN'T cry wolf!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the better to hear you with my dear. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, cool DDO. But somehow doubled ears don't do it for me like doubled dates or doubled lettering. It's like ... too much ear!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice DDO- good find!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the CPG picture... Well done... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Is it just me, or does the OP admit under the photo that this is a stabbed coin? Nice one go be sure, but no indication to me that it was a circulation find.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and here is a 66.
    I like 'em.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

Yes it is

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the lack of popularity due to the large quantity made or to the cluttered design near the doubling which makes the defect less prominent?

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Is it just me, or does the OP admit under the photo that this is a stabbed coin? Nice one go be sure, but no indication to me that it was a circulation find.

Not just you (although it seems many didn’t notice). The posted coin is indeed a slabbed, attributed Doubled Ear variety. This is the one coin I always hoped I could find in circulation but after years of searching rolls I never did. Had to settle for this beautiful example for just a bit more than 1c. :smile:

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Is the lack of popularity due to the large quantity made or to the cluttered design near the doubling which makes the defect less prominent?

Good question, I would think a combination of those. The spread is very wide but just in the central area which I think makes it a little more interesting. Imagine if they had finished the first hubbing impression.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Yes and here is a 66.
    I like 'em.

That example is exceptional in that it is not covered in plating bubbles.

Here's my 67RD that's at the bean factory now. I have to show it off when I can, as Roger pointed out, they aren't all that popular it seems.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

i am curious, how could a coin only get doubling on the ear and no where else? my guess would be that one specific die has the ear doubling and other dies might have doubling somewhere else?

• Options

@rln_14 said:
    i am curious, how could a coin only get doubling on the ear and no where else? my guess would be that one specific die has the ear doubling and other dies might have doubling somewhere else?

As far as I am aware, "no".

As I understand it, the face of the die is slightly convex. The hub is supposed to be impressed into the blank die in a single squeeze method. (Even if 1984 pre-dates the single squeeze method of die-making, the scenario still applies). To get a doubled ear, the hub "kisses" the die - makes a false start or bumps into it, for example, creating an image at the point of contact, which on a slightly convex surface will only be in one small area. Then the hub moves in for the "real" impression and that is when the full design is transferred.

This is my understanding of it, anyway.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@rln_14 said:

As far as I am aware, "no".

As I understand it, the face of the die is slightly convex. The hub is supposed to be impressed into the blank die in a single squeeze method. (Even if 1984 pre-dates the single squeeze method of die-making, the scenario still applies). To get a doubled ear, the hub "kisses" the die - makes a false start or bumps into it, for example, creating an image at the point of contact, which on a slightly convex surface will only be in one small area. Then the hub moves in for the "real" impression and that is when the full design is transferred.

This is my understanding of it, anyway.

thanks jbk, i guess i was kinda close

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2018 9:19AM

Late at night, when the moon is dark and even stars hide behind black clouds, the "Die Dwarves" come out to make coinage dies and play their magic tricks on fool humans and Elfin foe. The ears are Dwarfish ears pressed to soft steel in readiness for work as they listen to the metal tell it's ancient tale; but an errant sneeze or cough of excess ale slips an ear to one side. Thus it is done, and cannot be undone.

;)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eyyyy speaking of the bean factory...

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some very nice 84 DDOs.
    I have not cherried one either, despite many many many years of trying.
    Thanks for posting them!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Those are some very nice 84 DDOs.
    I have not cherried one either, despite many many many years of trying.
    Thanks for posting them!

Ditto, I've been looking for years also
    Never found one, or an '83

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file