Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New 1854 Mexico 1/2 Real with an interesting artifact

I purchased this 1854 1/2 Real for $5. Any idea what the "8" above the eagle is? It is 100% raised and looks like it came from the die. It doesn't look like solder or anything like that. I looked up the coin in krause and there is no mention of this. Same with numista. Anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me that on the reverse, after the date and before the assayer, there are the marks of the stamped 8. So I guess this is a counterstamp. No clue from where however. Nice.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo Is it possible to be a counter-stamp even though its raised on the surface of the coin?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess if they counterstamped the die it would be raised :o

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2018 8:16PM

Have you determine it to be authentic yet?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2018 5:07PM

PMD. Someone poled two holes into the coin right next to each other.

Perhaps @WorldCoinsDmitry has seen one of these before.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    @Abuelo Is it possible to be a counter-stamp even though its raised on the surface of the coin?

Sure. Depends on how is done. As I said, there are marks on both sides. Yet it is only a theory.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two dimples over the “.” after the 1854 probably mean it is PMD.

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2018 6:56PM

@Insider2 said:
    PMD. Someone poled two holes into the coin right next to each other.

Perhaps @WorldCoinsDmitry has seen one of these before.

Agree it's PMD. I love the cap and rays types :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for the information. I've never seen PMD like this before, so I learned something new today!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done something to get an effect like this before - punch a letter into a steel plate, put the coin on it, and hit the coin on the side facing up. The coin is pushed against the letter punched in the plate and a raised character is the result. Yours is very neatly done if that is what happened, though,

Maybe some close-ups of the rev. where those two "dots" are?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking solder residue from when coin was attached to something else. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall