Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fun with junk silver

SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found some of my old cheap Whitman coin holders I got as a kid. I am filling them with some junk silver coins. Mercs, Roosies and Washington Quarters. Nothing rare or in great shape, but it is fun. Like when I was a kid going through pocket change. Even filled a Jefferson folder with the silvers. No real value, but lots of fun. Takes me back to my youth.

Comments

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I maxed ebucks on dimes from coinexchange and I'm finding some good stuff. I forgot how fun sorting 90% is!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sorta got into acid. Not the tripping kind, with junk silver.
    Turned it into a bar. I nearly went into the bar, a few times.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin ...So those silver chunks are melted 90%? What do you do with it now? I would think it was easier to sell while in coin form..... even to a refiner. Cheers, RickO

edited June 9, 2018 7:25AM

No Ricko. Sterling silver processed ( Gorham tea set, spoons, forks , candelabras, etc. ). The 90% junk is typically sold as ball markers, pocket pieces or hole fillers.

Just yesterday the cable company was in to repair a severed cable line. When the guy got finished he said his last name was Barber. I thanked him and handed him a worn out silver Barber Dime. Made his day !

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly, sounds like fun !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • CheyenneCheyenne Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited June 10, 2018 9:09AM

I know I have my old Whitman holders, I just need to find them! Most go back about 35+ years. I was looking for them them last week. Especially want to look at my Indian Head Cents, I know I had that thing pretty well filled and a beat 1858 Flying Eagle in there, too! Haven't looked at them for several years, so thought it would be fun. I could only find some of my old silver, etc in the little plastic flips.

• sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2018 5:29AM

Very true! There is something about these Whitman coin holders that makes us nostalgic. Collecting them was real fun during my younger years....

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sarikanair said:
    Very true! There is something about these Whitman coin holders that makes us nostalgic. Collecting them was real fun during my younger years....

Couldn't agree more!!

This is the album (actually 2 2 page folders) I'm currently plugging with cheap silver.
    Got 3 holes filled at $7 per at a show last Saturday.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I love looking at all that stuff, 90%, 925, you name it.

Hoard the keys.

^ now that looks fun.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    No Ricko. Sterling silver processed ( Gorham tea set, spoons, forks , candelabras, etc. ). The 90% junk is typically sold as ball markers, pocket pieces or hole fillers.

Just yesterday the cable company was in to repair a severed cable line. When the guy got finished he said his last name was Barber. I thanked him and handed him a worn out silver Barber Dime. Made his day !

So now it is virtually unsellable without doing an assay.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Define "virtually" unsellable ? Is that like virtual reality , Capt. ? Who says I was looking to sell my pile of junk ? I'll let you know if I list any on ebay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file