Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is this PCGS holder’s generation?

JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the insert’s from Gen 2.0 (look closely), while the holder’s from 1.2. Thoughts? Not mine by the way.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

Comments

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doily but with the outer plastic broken off of the inner plastic ;)

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice little museum at PCGS;

PCGS Museum of Coin Holders
    See the evolution of the PCGS coin holder

https://www.pcgs.com/holders

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD so you’re saying someone broke the holder and shoved that in? Interesting!

@Gluggo I saw that, that’s where I got the generation numbers from

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

does it live in its mom's basement still?

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@JasonGaming said:
    @3keepSECRETif2rDEAD so you’re saying someone broke the holder and shoved that in? Interesting!

@Gluggo I saw that, that’s where I got the generation numbers from

He's talking about the outer ring

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA I see, thanks!

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    The ring can be replaced with a cheap 2.0 outer ring if you desire . . . . see me for details if you seriously desire to restore it . . . . . . .

Drunner

...I did not know this...Thanks! ;)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you do that without cracking the holder?

@DRUNNER said:
    Standard Doily. Outer ring missing. Nice acquisition. The ring can be replaced with a cheap 2.0 outer ring if you desire . . . . see me for details if you seriously desire to restore it . . . . . . .

Drunner

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good pick up @JasonGaming......please share more find as you grow your collection <3

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting slab... I have never had an interest in slab generations, but see them discussed here fairly often. I know I have one or two older one's, though not real old. I will have to check the link above and see what I have. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats still a nice slab to have. i like :)

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhat succinctly put . . .the two-piece holders starting with the Doily, then moving through the 2.0 - 2.5 - 3.5 all have the same outer rings. The reason the 2.0 is valued so much is that the number of 2.0 holders surviving is (relatively) large . . . . and the 2.5 / 3.5 holders have enough of a holder premium it doesn't make sense to cannibalize them for the outer ring. That is why the 2.0 is so valued for ring replacement.

Simply . . . an X-Acto knife and some testing around the edges of a 2.0 will usually reveal areas where the holder is not tight, and you can probe with the X-Acto, gently prying the outer ring off in a clamshell fashion. I just then slip off the 2.0 interior (basically a Rattler) . . . replace the Doily by just sliding it in . . . .apply a small drop of KrazyGlue . . and you have a perfectly serviceable Doily. I only open the outer ring enough to slide out one interior . . . . . and replace the Doily. I don't split them completely apart. Finding 2.0s that seem 'loose' when you twist them can be helpful . . . . those are the ones that are easiest to use.

Yes . . . I DID find one 2.0 that was so tight I could not remove the outer ring without an extraordinary effort . . .so I just kept the holder intact . . . but that is not generally the case.

Sell off the basic 2.0 interior (I like to find Frankies or Mercs that are $15-$20 coins anyway) . . . and you are set. Ethically (to me at least) a perfect Doily . . . . . .with outer ring restored.

Drunner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file