Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1950 d penny please help

I just bought a scale for the first time and I know before 1982 pennies are supposed to weigh 3.11 the 1950 d cent weighs 3.24g is that normal or not and what is the most a penny from 1982 and below can weigh.

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper cents weigh 3.1 grams or 48 grains.

There is a tolerance, and your coin is within
    that tolerance.

Not an error ,

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be wrong, so anyone can feel free to correct me, but unless the coin seems to be struck on a planchet meant for another coin, what is the purpose in weighing it?

I can see weighing a 1982D SD looking for a copper planchet, and I can see weighing 1983 or even 1984 cents looking for the same, but weighing every random coin seems like a waste of time to me. Best case scenario is that it is slightly out of tolerance, but then what? I don't think it would have any extra value.

I don't mean to discourage your efforts, but I'd hate to see you waste time where there is no potential for a payoff. Looking for real errors is a high volume project.

But, otherwise, congratulations on the scale purchase - I need to get one. It is a tool that is very useful in specific circumstances.

• Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Plus the scale probably has some error.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to accompany your scale with a good CherryPicker guide

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have acquired a scale to assist in your searches... that is good. Did you get a CPG or Redbook yet? These are important tools when searching for errors. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file