Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 clipped planchet cent please identify

I just wanted to make sure that this is a clipped planchet it look odd to me. And also would the cent weigh 2.75 g with a clipped planchet

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a clipped planchet.

Not an error of any type.

It's damaged, I'm sorry to say.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Why does it not weigh 3.11g though like the other ones I have.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wear and damage (part is missing) would reduce the weight.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody ground down the edge. Might have just been testing a grinder on a very cheap piece of metal.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Ok thanks everyone

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

You obviously don't know what a clipped planchet is. :o

A clipped planchet is, well, clipped. There is a missing portion.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a damaged coin doing a poor impression of a tapered thin planchet, not a 'clip' in the traditional sense and unfortunately not a Mint error either.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

look up clipped planchet error coins and tapered planchet error coins.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone may have played with a file on that cent.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with all the above.... try a bit of internet research on the term 'clipped planchet' and you will learn the details, including the 'Blakesley effect' (google the term) which appears on clipped planchets. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file