Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

So does a DASH in price guide mean Rare or ??, Pic of a dash listed coin.

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

1865/4 Brazil 200 Reis

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could or also indicates no reliable info.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 10:38AM

Looks like it used to be a '64. It's in my Krause and is as common as all the rest from 1855 to 1867. It has an 1856/5, but not an 1865/4. There is a "dash" for mintage .. maybe there was no record.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

They didn't see the overdate as anything different at time of production.

There is no separate mintage figure, the mintage for the overdate is simply a part/portion of the whole original mintage. Thus no separate figure is known or shown in the book.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the U.S. guides, a dash in the mintage spot usually means the mintage is unknown and probably included in the total figure for a given year.

A dash in the price area means that there is insufficient date to set a value. This might be replaced with an auction result later, or if the item subsequently turns out to be sufficiently common to trade on a regular or somewhat regular basis, a normal listing. Sometimes the price is in italics which means that the amount is speculative or just an educated guess.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

The dash means it has no extra intrinsic value ... it's essentially face value for anything under VF-20.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    The dash means it has no extra intrinsic value ... it's essentially face value for anything under VF-20.

Yes, you are correct. In this case the dash means it's worth face value if it has one. Pre-1971 British coins have no face value because they have been demonetized.

In the U.S. series the only coin that was ever demonetized was the Trade Dollar. A side effect of the Coinage Act of 1965 was that it got its face value back.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2018 8:26PM