Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looks like our friends Down Under are going to have to start paying a 10% GST Tax beginning 7/1/18

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? The law is unchanged per the article. Under $1,000 no GST.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read it as saying that they are expanding the 10% sales tax to all items being bought on-line from outside the country. Earlier there was a A$1,000 threshold.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

@EagleEye said:
    I read it as saying that they are expanding the 10% sales tax to all items being bought on-line from outside the country. Earlier there was a A$1,000 threshold.

I sure don't read that:
    "The existing processes to collect GST on imports above $1,000 at the border are unchanged."

I guess I don't understand Australian "speak".

bob

• Options

Nevermind. Looked elsewhere and yes they are charging a GST on goods under $1,000. Coins are not exempt it appears.
    bob

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about on bullion?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 10:56AM

Luckily I don't have any friends "down under" so I don't have to feel too badly. If they want to elect politicians who will raise their taxes then that is their business. Their politicians have already done some things that I consider to be excessive.

I originally saw this subject covered in a story about Amazon blocking it's normal site in Australia - only the Australian version will be accessible due to the new tax law, so shipments from the regular/int'l site will be blocked. (This happens in some other counties as well).

Australia is a bit of a myth anyway. According to an Aussie I once worked with, kangaroos are a big nuisance and get hit crossing the road the way deer do in many states in the US. And those supposedly cute koala bears are actually nasty little creatures that spit and scratch. And then there are the poisonous spiders and snakes, and the crocodiles lurking in almost every puddle to snatch any human that walks by. Of course, the Australian people themselves are all descended from hardcore criminals who were exiled there a couple hundred years ago. :D

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crikey, mate !

• Options

What I find funny, is if I'm not mistaken Australia's import taxes mirrored ours. I believe we don't have to pay import taxes until the value exceeds $1,000.00. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 11:16AM

@amwldcoin said:
    What I find funny, is if I'm not mistaken Australia's import taxes mirrored ours. I believe we don't have to pay import taxes until the value exceeds $1,000.00. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

You are probably correct. I can attest from many trips overseas and back that US Customs can at times be very lax on collecting the taxes/duty. I think the limit used to be $400, which might even roughly correspond to the AU$1000.

As I understand it, the lowering of the threshold to $1 as due to complaints from local retailers, and we may be headed there soon enough as there are calls to impose sales taxes on internet purchases, to be collected by the seller rather than trusting the buyers to self report (assuming they live in a state with a sales tax).

But at least we won't have all those nasty creatures to contend with. :p

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do and LOL my girlfriend asked me to meet her in Bali and bring her wedding gift rather than mailing it due to custom declaration...and they do have to pay tax on incoming so called "gift" as well :#

@JBK said:
    Luckily I don't have any friends "down under" so I don't have to feel too badly. If they want to elect politicians who will raise their taxes then that is their business. Their politicians have already done some things that I consider to be excessive.

I originally saw this subject covered in a story about Amazon blocking it's normal site in Australia - only the Australian version will be accessible due to the new tax law, so shipments from the regular/int'l site will be blocked. (This happens in some other counties as well).

Australia is a bit of a myth anyway. According to an Aussie I once worked with, kangaroos are a big nuisance and get hit crossing the road the way deer do in many states in the US. And those supposedly cute koala bears are actually nasty little creatures that spit and scratch. And then there are the poisonous spiders and snakes, and the crocodiles lurking in almost every puddle to snatch any human that walks by. Of course, the Australian people themselves are all descended from hardcore criminals who were exiled there a couple hundred years ago. :D

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    I do and LOL my girlfriend asked me to meet her in Bali and bring her wedding gift rather than mailing it due to custom declaration...and they do have to pay tax on incoming so called "gift" as well :#

Wow! That stinks worse than a road kill kangaroo that has been baking in the sun for a week. (To clarify, it is the tax on gifts that stinks, not Bali or your friend, although I can't be 100% sure about her as I don't know her bathing habits).

I lived in Germany and any package I got from a non-EU country had to be picked up in person at the Zollamt (customs office) and any taxes due had to be paid. I forget the limit but it was pretty low. I once had to pay customs tax on some Vatican City coins. Vatican City is technically not part of the EU, but it is allowed to issue euro coins because of a long-standing monetary treaty with Italy that was recognized by the EU when the euro was introduced.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are funny @JBK ....our vacation has been planned prior but she rather receive her gift way pass her wedding day just because of this tax burden <3
    I almost "lost" a friend from Perth who got very angry for having to pay $120 custom fee upon receiving her birthday gift and I am telling you....never again I send anything down under :/

• Options

WoW! I need to get on your gift list! o:)

@Paradisefound said:
    You are funny @JBK ....our vacation has been planned prior but she rather receive her gift way pass her wedding day just because of this tax burden <3
    I almost "lost" a friend from Perth who got very angry for having to pay $120 custom fee upon receiving her birthday gift and I am telling you....never again I send anything down under :/

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's true. As of 1 July 2018, the A$1000 exemption is gone.

The catch? “The new online tax will only be collected from self-declaring overseas retailers with turnovers of more than $75,000 and the Australian Tax Office has no power to punish those beyond the ATO’s jurisdiction,” reports The Sydney Morning Herald. “The tax is designed with the near impossibility of its collection in mind,” RMIT economist Christopher Berg told the newspaper. He added that the most the ATO could do to non-compliant businesses was to slow down the processing of packages at the Australian border.

Sadly, New Zealand will follow suit late next year. And our GST is 15%. (The current threshold here is NZ$400 - around US$280 - including postage.)

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

I suspect that includes ebay?

@Aotearoa said:
    It's true. As of 1 July 2018, the A$1000 exemption is gone.

The catch? “The new online tax will only be collected from self-declaring overseas retailers with turnovers of more than $75,000 and the Australian Tax Office has no power to punish those beyond the ATO’s jurisdiction,” reports The Sydney Morning Herald. “The tax is designed with the near impossibility of its collection in mind,” RMIT economist Christopher Berg told the newspaper. He added that the most the ATO could do to non-compliant businesses was to slow down the processing of packages at the Australian border.

Sadly, New Zealand will follow suit late next year. And our GST is 15%. (The current threshold here is NZ$400 - around US$280 - including postage.)

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I suspect that includes ebay?

Definitely.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is either a sticky wicket or a wicked googly

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Of course, the Australian people themselves are all descended from hardcore criminals who were exiled there a couple hundred years ago. :D

This is not true - joke or not. There are aboriginal Australians who are not descended from the criminal as well as later European immigrants.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2018 7:39AM

I think this can be viewed as a test model for an internet tax between the states. The Wayfair case is likely going to make sales tax collecting on interstate internet sales very possible. I think we will see clearly how it kills business.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file