Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

From Coin World: Here's the location of that “other” 1933 double eagle

We just published news about the location of that “other” 1933 double eagle. https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/05/extant-1933-double-eagle-already-in-Mint-custody.html

William T. Gibbs, Managing Editor, Coin World

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awful decision. Considering the Feds didn't seize Langbords until they sent them to them I think it would have been safe to hold onto it unless they knew you had it and came asking for it.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be curious to see if this matches the mystery piece illustrated in one of the books about the Fenton coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was unaware a coin's "heft" could be "measured."

"I'll pass. I'm looking for a heftier piece."

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Capt. H -

Page 308 of "Illegal Tender"

That B&W photo could be used
    to compare the coin to the 'new'
    one in their possession.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@Swampboy said:
    I was unaware a coin's "heft" could be "measured."

"I'll pass. I'm looking for a heftier piece."

Having worked in coin shops for 25 years, we do sometimes test the "heft" of a mystery coin on the palm of your hand just to see if it is gold, but that test would not be relevant in the case of this coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 9:40AM

"The unnamed buyer paid an additional $20 to allow the piece to become the only example monetized and legal to own."

Smart. Very smart.

A coin is a coin. A coin becomes money when it's MONETIZED.

The non-release and monetization has been the Government's contention from the very beginning.

Just saying, you know. It doesn't hurt to stress by repeating what we already know.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Sounds like the former owner netted nothing out of this. If it were mine and I was willing to throw it away, I would have tossed it in a Salvation Army kettle at Christmas.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Sounds like the former owner netted nothing out of this. If it were mine and I was willing to throw it away, I would have tossed it in a Salvation Army kettle at Christmas.

I would have moved it to Canada or offshore.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Here's my dad hitting a golf ball towards it... lol. At least we got a free round of golf after turning it in o:)>:)

Looks like a slice to me ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

government propaganda retold. get the other side from the langbords.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the assertions are corroborated in publicly-presented documents at trial. Unless something new has been uncovered, the comments are merely guesses....no better than those of anyone.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

A government in deep debt melts coins worth 7.5 million dollars. Did I read that right?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even in the 40's and 50's they were valuable and melted?

• Options

@RogerB said:
    None of the assertions are corroborated in publicly-presented documents at trial. Unless something new has been uncovered, the comments are merely guesses....no better than those of anyone.

for that matter, where is the proof that switt got them all out? perhaps more than 1 dealer traded legal tender for the 1933 coins minted for commerce.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@RogerB said:

for that matter, where is the proof that switt got them all out? perhaps more than 1 dealer traded legal tender for the 1933 coins minted for commerce.

None whatsoever.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@RogerB said:

The legal reasoning for these is the opposite of what is often used elsewhere. For example, my understanding is that the 2000P Sac/quarter mules were initially suspect and a candidate for seizure, until some were found legitimately released. Since some made it out through normal channels, there was no way to prove that some (or which ones) might have been smuggled out.
    But, for the 1933 $20, the presumption was that none were legal since some may have been swapped out illicitly even though the theoretical possibility existed that some were bought/traded legally during the brief window where that was an option.

That's my understanding, anyway.

• Options
    rhlrhl Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Interesting that the reports say department of justice had to clear the announcement, wonder why they were involved and under what terms the coin was turned over...

• Options

Any conditions ... Interesting question.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting information !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

@rhl said:
    Interesting that the reports say department of justice had to clear the announcement, wonder why they were involved and under what terms the coin was turned over...

Treasury Department, not Department of Justice.

• Options

In fact, article states that the Justice Department limited the disclosure of information about how this coin was turned in and that Treasury officials had to be consulted before the story was authorized for release.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

JBK - your comments on the Sac/Mule are correct

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

To clarify, Justice Department officials restricted what Mint officials could tell Coin World. Mint officials consulted with their bosses at Treasury, to alert them that Coin World had the story and to get Treasury approval on when the Mint could release the information.

William T. Gibbs, Managing Editor, Coin World

• Options

Any information on the conditions (if any) under which the coin was turned over?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file