Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone know what's up with www-blocksportscards-com (Larry Block)?

He's been the topic of conversation before on this Board, but over 2 weeks ago he ended a big '69 Topps Baseball auction on eBay. Myself and several other '69 collectors won some cards and paid by Paypal the following day and never received the cards. One collector tried to get a hold of him using www.blocksportscards.com's 1-800 number this past Saturday and his voice mail was full.

If anyone in the Riverside, CA area knows anything and hopefully nothing serious has happened to him, we'd appreciate your help.

(edited for grammar)

Comments

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering too Dan as I paid for the 25 cards I won in that auction 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I've sent 5-6 emails about shipping charges and never did get an actual reply , just an invoice.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dan:

Larry had no problem at all adding his 1968 Topps Game Set to the Registry within the past 5-6 days - so it certainly seems that he has time to at least pursue some part of his business interests. Sorry that you (and so many others) have gotten the short end of the stick. It seems like there have truly been some consistent grumblings about certain ebay and sportscard dealers. Much like this country's newfangled "Do Not Call" list - I think many of us are creating and updating our "Do Not Bid" and "Do Not Buy From" lists. I hope that your situation gets resolved shortly.

Best-
    Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Having the same issues. I won 42 cards and haven't heard anything since I paid 11 days ago via Paypal. Sent multiple emails and I even got a phone call in before his message box filled up. I'm concerned but hopeful that it will all end up ok. One extremely helpful 69er pointed out to me that most of his feedback doesn't get posted until a few weeks to a month and a half after the auction. Just hoping they'll show up soon or I'll get some sort of response from email....Let me know if you hear anything.

Grady
  • Options
    He was also a no show at the last Ft. Washington show(at least on Friday).

I've had one experience with him, and it was bad. He bought a card from me, and I spent 3 weeks chasing down the payment. I got plenty of: "Payment is in the mail" and a "you already cashed my check" all of which was BS. Had to get PSA involved to get my money.

I think you will get your cards...but it might be another 2-3 weeks.

LAME!
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>Larry had no problem at all adding his 1968 Topps Game Set to the Registry within the past 5-6 days >>

Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Think he has just not gotten over the shock of Memory Lane coming back in business.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience about a year ago. Doesn't sound like an isolated incident.
  • Options
    Diito from me.......

Larry bought some psa graded cards from my ebay auctions and took over a month to come up with the money stating that he was too busy doing shows, etc to get the funds in the mail.

Finally after repeated emails he sent the payment.

I would question what his business plan is if he even has one.

.......Just my humble opinion.
    Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I attempted to buy a card from him at a show once - a 67 Clemente PSA 8. As I was getting ready to reach for my wallet, he said come back Sunday. I asked him what he meant, and he said he will sell it to me on Sunday.

I never went back needless to say. image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    mikeschmidt (marc) -- Thanks for putting my worst fears to rest -- Larry is obviously alive and had on-line access.

UPDATE: One of our trusted forum members is on the case.

The www.blocksportscards.com website says, "We have very liberal hours here. You can reach us almost any time day or night. But, for information sake we have listed our official hours below. We frequently check our voice mail when we are out of the office or out of town at a show. So, please leave a message and we will return your call shortly."

Mon - Fri: 9:00am to 6:00pm

Sat: 10:00am to 4:00pm

Sun: 12:00pm to 4:00pm

According to the www.blocksportscards.com website, their business address is:

8920 Limonite Ave., Suite 290
    Riverside, CA 92509

Our message board operative just visited this location and he discovered that 8920 Limonite is a mail drop/Mailbox Etc. type store, and that "Suite 290" is a mailbox number.

Good 'ole Larry!

imageimageimageimageimage

Link to Website
  • Options
    Dan

Also have not heard.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Well, if he stiffs guys here, I dont think he'll ever be able to show his face again.
  • Options
    I hope you all get either your cards or your refund and then this will actually be a blessing. No more Larry Block in the Hobby!!!!!!
    I said it last year with the shilling incidents and pulling auctions before they closed if there wernt enough bids.Stop bidding on his cards.Plenty of other good dealers to buy from.THIS GUY DOESNT BELONG IN THE HOBBY! PSA SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO RUN ADS FOR BLOCK SPORTSCARDS.
    Oh yeah ,just my opinion
  • Options
    Just to add my name to the fray...I won three cards on Oct. 19 and immediately paid via PayPal. Three emails and three calls/left messages later and not a word from Block. I am not sure what his game is or if he just runs a sloppy outfit but......
    I hope he doesn't plan to stay in business because his reputation with many is shot.

Dave C.
  • Options
    All of you should file complaints with ebay and paypal.

Here is the link to eBay Fraud and the link to Paypal. Go to the bottom of the page on the Paypal link.

Paypal will freeze the funds in his account for those who paid this way. If he has no funds there and you paid with a credit card, dispute the charge.
  • Options
    Larry really should come on here (yet again) and explain exactly what the problem seems to be this time. The auctions in question ended 16 days ago for the most part. My payment is 14 days old now with no word from the seller. I most assuredly will be contacting Paypal before their 30 day period is up to start the process of getting my $ back. Larry , if you're out there let's hear from you!

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Dakota has an excellent point.....Block is still an authorized PSA dealer after all the crap he pulls.

Eveyone with a complaint should contact PSA in addition to PayPal and EBAY.
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Anybody heard from blockhead?
  • Options
    I too have had similar experiences with him. About 6 months ago I called him a few times (never got an answer) so I sent him an email. I was interested in about $2000 worth of cards. As I recall, by the time he got back to me all but 2 of them were already sold (even though they were still listed on his site). I paid for those 2 cards, about $300-$400 worth, and I think it took about 3 or 4 weeks to receive them after sending the money through paypal.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Note to self:

Never buy ANYTHING from this guy. His customer service skills are non-existant.

Sad...

aconte
  • Options
    Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that we’ve read this thread and will look into some of the issues raised here.

Thanks,

Carol
  • Options
    Carol -- Terrific! Thank you!
  • Options
    I received an email about 40 minutes ago from Lawrence stating that his father had passed away the day after the auctions . Apparently he has been in Oklahoma dealing with the arrangements and getting his stepmother moved. He seemed very contrite and understandably down over the loss of his father. He further states that he will be in the office Monday to start shipping cards from that auction.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options

While I have only bought one card from him and shipment was okay,I did find upon receipt of the card that it was not near as nice as the scan.I determined that he enhances his scans and will never buy from him again.I "overpaid"for a card that appeared really high end for an "8" and it turned out to be just a fair grade.Lesson learned.I had read the past threads about him and the ones that he responded to and didn't even bother to contact him over the card.Just put him on my "Don't buy from again" list.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Just checking to see if anyone has gotten their cards yet? I got an email from him
    explaining why the cards had not shipped yet. I still have not gotten my card and
    no one ever answers when I try to call.

Thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's now a week+ since Block's email about his father's passing and assurance that cards would be mailed MOnday, 11/8, and no cards won 10/19, paid for 10/20. Has anyone gotten their cards; mainly 69's from his 10/19 auction.

Dave Cryer
  • Options
    Haven't received mine yet, I paid 10/19 . Of course it's only 4 days since he was supposedly back in the office with a Postal holiday yesterday and mine have to be shipped Coast to Coast.

Dave S.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Haven't received my cards yet either. His phone mailbox isn't full anymore. I'm not sure if this means he's listening to his messages. He is shipping via the US Postal so I'm wondering if it's just taking some time to make it over here(I'm on the east coast). I will let you know if I hear anything or receive the cards.

Grady
  • Options
    Saturday, November 13th...still no card.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Block is participating next week in NAXCOM's Vintage Invitational.

That should be interesting.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I was out running some errands this morning and missed the mailman(he never comes that early). Have the slip to pick up my cards on Monday. Hoping that everything arrived intact and in decent shape. I'll let you know on Monday evening.

Grady
  • Options
    My mail was delivered today and no package yet from Block. I'll certainly look at the postmark on my package and see when it was mailed (assuming I ever get it).
  • Options
    I just received an email from Block with a USPS tracking number. I was able to verify that 'a' package was mailed yesterday (11/12/04). Well, at least I go a response.
    Dave C.
  • Options
    Well better late than never. I finally got the card today. The shipment was sent this past Friday, November 12th.
  • Options
    Ditto: Better late than never.
    Dave C.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    What kind of feedback will you guys be leaving?
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Dave,

Glad to hear yours arrived.

Some bidders were not as patient as us
  • Options
    Postmark indicates that my card was mailed last Friday, not Monday as he indicated. image
  • Options
    Haven't received anything, even an email since the 11/5 one. I'm on the East coast so if he mailed out Friday I wouldn't expect to get my cards for another day or two.

Feedback........because of the circumstances I'm just going to skip it.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    I did finally receive my cards this evening(Slip actually arrived on Sat.) They were shipped on 11/10th (Wed.). All arrived in decent shape. I think you are right on Magellan, you should get yours on Tues. or Wed.

Grady

• Options
    theBobs,

I have decided to not leave feedback. I think Block handled it all wrong BUT I prefer to give him the benefit of the doupt.

Dave C.
  • Options
    I received mine today, they were postmarked Friday........$12.20 postage which he charged me $31 for, no sign of a refund, receipt or anything but the cards.

Dave S.

PS The cards were fine
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    I have left 8 phone messages and sent 4 emails. Still no reply and
    still no cards.
  • Options
    Sorry for posting on this again, but I am getting nowhere on a response from these people. Does anyone have a different number that I can try to reach a live voice.

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    The only number I have is 800-574-6440. It does appear he is trying to deliver sold cards even if very slowly. Good luck.
    Dave C.
  • Options
    Block has not left feedback for any of the 1969 transactions that took place that day. I think that is the least he could to thank everyone for their patience.

There is at least one board member here who still has not gotten his cards. Block claims that he hasn't received the funds even though there is proof because the funds went through PayPal. The $ figure is substantial because he won many cards that night. Phone calls still don't go through because the machine is full again.

• Options
    He's struck again. He has stolen a card I sold him for $2000. I didn't know of his past, assumed he was legit by his ad in the SMR and his kind emails, but now I know he is a fake.

Anyone seen him lately? He has 4 days to return my card or pay me, and then I'm calling the police.

Regards,
    Kyle Bicking
    kylebicking@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Kyle

sorry this has happened to you.

how does he have the card and you not the money?

Steve
    Good for you.