Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CSNS Show Report - Thursday

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
So it would be an understatement to say that I was looking forward to the CSNS show. Living abroad has its merits, but I miss going to coin shows! Unfortunately the Thursday retail opening of the CSNS show was a bit…well…slow.

I woke up in the morning, hoping to avoid the stomach bug that my son came down with the night before (too much success) and proceeded to pack the house for what would be my last morning in Michigan before heading back to Dublin. I watched a European auction close, winning one lot (GTG to come) and then woke up my three year old to say goodbye for a week until my family joins me in Ireland. The three hour drive to Chicago is always hit or miss. This time, no problems and I arrived at the show 10 minute after opening.

My first stop, as always, was to see Doug Winter. We caught up a bit, talk about a few opportunities and caught up in general. I passed a coin to Doug pending another deal and spent 20min catching up.
Forum member Fishteeth stopped by Doug’s table. We met up maybe 5 times during the show. Glad to have met him and hope to grab a beer later (maybe with RYK at a future ANA in a different Chicago suburb…hint…hint).

I then went to see Gerry Fortin to seal a pre-arranged deal. Gerry found for me a beautiful 1842 $1 in N53 CAC with outstanding eye appeal. I added this coin to my 1842 set (pics from Messydesk forthcoming).. Speaking with Gerry for a good 30 minutes was great. He has built a good collector focused business model and has a great eye for nice coins. I consigned a few coins to Gerry and started to walk the floor.

A few observations/musings:
• The show felt slow. No buzz, most dealers were very accessible.
• Dealers with a focus on highly original, collector grade coins probably did well. These were the busiest tables, consistently.
• The Pogue coins are ridiculous.
• The gold in the CSNS Platinum Night auction is also ridiculous. 1842 SD $5 in 65, WOW!
• Most coins seem to sell wholesale before the retail opening. For me, shows are becoming a social event, not a buying event.
• I went looking to build a Reeded Edge half set in VF/EF with the 39-O already in hand. I added zero coins.
• I posed for a picture for Charmy.
• The food at the convention center was surprisingly good. I had a blackened chicken sandwich which, while costing $10 +$3.25 for a water, was light years better than the turkey sandwiches at the Rosemont center.
• My favourite coin on the floor was an 1844 $1 in OGH AU50 Gold CAC with color and mirrored surfaces. At $5200 I could not pull the trigger.
I will visit the show tomorrow from 10am to maybe 12pm before a 3:50pm flight back to the emerald isle.

A few pics from Messydesk (come see him at the show for great pics and a quick turnaround!):
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when dealers are very accessible. image
    Thanks for the report, safe travels!
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 42 dollar you got was great. Good to meet one of the collectors I will be competing with for nice early gold
    for the next 50 yrs or so. Looking forward to the ANA.
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Maybe it was a 53... Lovely coin. Is it yours?
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, Brian. Wish I could be there. But, Pine Valley, NJ is not too shabby. Fairly nice golf course.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report!! Cool that you met up with Charmy. Yep--shows are more social than buying events for me, as well, but still mucho fun!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe it was a 53... Lovely coin. Is it yours? >>

If that is the coin it has very mirrored surfaces also. Just a great coin.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was great meeting you - that CAR piece that you had was mind-blowing!

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, Boosi!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

If that is the coin it has very mirrored surfaces also. Just a great coin. >>

It is and does.

I should have also noted the always cool territorials at Regulated's table. In my report I should have said that the 1844 was the coolest coin on the floor I could actually afford.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report...good luck on your trip.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If that is the coin it has very mirrored surfaces also. Just a great coin. >>

It is and does.

I should have also noted the always cool territorials at Regulated's table. In my report I should have said that the 1844 was the coolest coin on the floor I could actually afford. >>

How can that coin get a gold sticker with the distracting marks in the right obverse field?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Like reading any and all show reports. Thanks for posting.

Mike
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Hi Brian, nice report! It was nice meeting you at Gerry's table (I was the one with that toned 1837 bust dime). Great to put a face with all the wonderful posts. Safe travels!
  • Options
    Thanks rkp. Your 1837 is awesome. You should post it!
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. Very nice reeded edge halves too.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How can that coin get a gold sticker with the distracting marks in the right obverse field? >>

Gotta be a "market grade" on the wild color. Technically, that coin is not undergraded, IMHO.
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 436 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks rkp. Your 1837 is awesome. You should post it! >>

Twist my arm...

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report! I was there also and agree that it was very slow on the retail traffic. I have been attending the CSNS show for about 15 years and it has changed from a show for collectors to much more of a dealer trading event (as have most shows). As others have said it is more of an opportunity to discuss and learn from others than to buy. I did pick up a cool 1849 gold dollar variety and had a great discussion with John Dannreuther regarding the different varieties which he discovered.
    Heritage had a fantastic display of the upcoming Dukor Gold Dollar collection coins (finest known collection). My specialty, but a bit too high end for me.
    liefgold
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Great seeing you at the show yesterday, Boosbri! Thanks for stopping by the table.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, shows are becoming a social event, not a buying event.

I concluded that early on. They are mostly for making contacts, managing relationships, show-and-tells, etc.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all nice coins in this thread. bb, that 47 is cool.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to have run into you at Charmy's table. My show report will wait until early next week when I make it home after a weekend in the city with Mrs. ModCrewman!
  • Options

<< <i>Glad to have run into you at Charmy's table. My show report will wait until early next week when I make it home after a weekend in the city with Mrs. ModCrewman! >>

Greetings from Dublin! Great to meet you too. If you haven't been to the Purple Pug on Michigan I recommend it for dinner.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Boosibri,

I love those busties, I recently picked up a 38 with identical die breaks.

Looks like you had some nice pickups there.
  • Options
    Funny, before the Dick Graham book came out, this die marriage listed as JR-1 was an R8! Now just a lowly R3.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report. Enjoyable reading.

RKP... Love that Bust Dime !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, B. Lovely coins all around... I really like the look of that '47 HE.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the report, B. Lovely coins all around... I really like the look of that '47 HE.

'dude >>

Thanks, the OGH gives it extra appeal! I'm inadvertently building a No Motto $5 date run.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Boosbri,

It was great to meet you at the Central States show. Thanks for stopping at my table and introducing yourself!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How can that coin get a gold sticker with the distracting marks in the right obverse field? >>

Gotta be a "market grade" on the wild color. Technically, that coin is not undergraded, IMHO. >>

Without the marks, it would have been a 55.
    It has been downgraded.
    AU53 was assigned frequently to coins with "issues".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file