Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

S.S. Central America discoverer has been arrested

Saw this randomly on the news. I often use the SS Central America sinking in 1857 and the ensuing bank problems that followed to explain to non-numismatists how you can learn a bunch about history of a society by looking at the history of money. That you can buy the 1857-S $20's and such with provenance tied to the shipwreck also impresses folks who don't collect coins. That said, I had no idea about the problems associated with the investors and that the guy who found the ship had been a fugitive for many years.

Fugitive Treasure Hunter Arrested in Florida

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's big news.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Finally!

I'm glad they nabbed that crook.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it amazing how gold can wreck a person's life?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    U.S. Marshals Service tracked him down. This announcement right before the release of the comm. coin.

Alex
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re U.S. Marshals Service tracked him down. : Someone ought to buy Thompson one of the gold coins and then give it to him as a present.
    Mark

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be something we'll be watching for a long time as the court case goes on. It should be interesting.

I can't wait until what's being recovered now makes it's way to the market.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't wait until what's being recovered now makes it's way to the market. >>

Is there stuff that he's hoarding? I thought that he allegedly pocketed the cash from the sale and didn't give the investors their share. Are there more coins out there?

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't wait until what's being recovered now makes it's way to the market. >>

Is there stuff that he's hoarding? I thought that he allegedly pocketed the cash from the sale and didn't give the investors their share. Are there more coins out there? >>

A significant portion of what was on the ship was never recovered. Odyssey (OMEX) was recently given permission to excavate the rest of the ship. Eventually they will end up selling most everything they recover.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With his financial resources, there is no reason - other than abject stupidity - that he was caught. Unbelievable...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Update - pleaded guilty to contempt for failure to appear on the warrant, and forfeited $425k in cash found on them when they were arrested in Florida.

Former Fugitive Treasure Hunter Pleads Guilty to Contempt in Ohio

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow! 3 hots and a cot for you!
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bob Evans on the disposition of the SS Central America from 2013 >>

Fascinating article and a quick read. Thanks.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I often use the SS Central America sinking in 1857 and the ensuing bank problems that followed to explain to non-numismatists how you can learn a bunch about history of a society by looking at the history of money. >>

i like saying to people, "if you want to follow history, follow the money."

interesting read. thanks. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy has got be one of the dumbest crooks on the planet. Even if he got only 5% of the take, that's over $5 million. I guess that was not enough, and I'm sure he was entitled to more than that.

From what I understand he was trying get away with a bunch of those "coins' that were made from melted gold bars. To me all those things were nothing more than glorified bullion. He would have better off with pieces of the original bars.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJ, do you mean those restrikes?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BillJ, do you mean those restrikes? >>

Yes, the restrikes that aren't really restrikes from what I've read about them. Restrikes are made from the original dies, "restruck," at a later date. These things were made from copy dies.

From what I read in the non numismatic press it seemed like he had over a million dollars in those things.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Interesting, thanks. Sounds like the whole affair is a rat's nest of lawsuits.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file