Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does Patina or Toning carry a hefty valuation in other collectibles...

.....as it does in numismatics?

Thinking about it as I watch some toned silver eagles listed for $1000 a pop.

Would, say the Mona Lisa or Starry Night be prized more with bright hues of gold and blue? (oops, looks like Starry night already has them!)

What about a sterling pitcher once owned by Louis XXXIMXVS?

Serious question folks?

Comments

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever watched the Antiques Roadshow? Early American furniture with its original finish intact is worth about 10x more than one that has been refinished.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever watched the Antiques Roadshow? Early American furniture with its original finish intact is worth about 10x more than one that has been refinished. >>

image and bright coins get +'s. image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. One collectible I can think of now is antique firearms.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    At one time, people hated all that dirty old furniture, so a lot of it was stripped and refinished. Originality hasn't always been valued.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How one stripped and refinished was the key to retaining value.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolutely. One collectible I can think of now is antique firearms. >>

+1 on that and furniture. also, antique lamps.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever watched the Antiques Roadshow? Early American furniture with its original finish intact is worth about 10x more than one that has been refinished. >>

I remember watching an old one. The analysis from the appraiser of a large colonial chest went something like this: "I have good news and bad news for you. You chest is worth $10 to 15 k. The bad news is that if you had not just had it refinished, it would be worth $125k".
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I upgrade a GF I hope to find one with original surfaces which haven't been tooled by poor tattoo decisions image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only in coins or medals, the word "toning" is commonly used. Tarnish is the acceptable word for anything else. ( I suspect that a coin dealer in the not to distant past, came up with the word "tone" ... more subtle than tarnish )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that original antique cars now bring premiums if they are in presentable, running condition.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The furniture analogy is a good one. Much like a 1796-vintage house furnishing is more exciting (and more authentic) when it has its original skin, so is a 1796-dated coin. Strip off enough of the original finish and do a few unauthentic repairs, and one might as well just buy a reproduction.

• Options
    I've collected vintage and antique hand tools and definitely patina means a lot. Sweat, dirt, and grime from use that was properly wiped and cared for by a quality craftsman brings good money. Improperly restored or cleaned are left to the rookie collectors. A 100 year old tool that was used daily for thirty years and properly cared for and left in a tool box for some one to find last week is a real treasure.
    “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in comic books
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about fruit of the looms, nice toneimage
  • Options

<< <i>Every time I upgrade a GF I hope to find one with original surfaces which haven't been tooled by poor tattoo decisions image >>

+1
    "Man will never be perfect until he learns to create and destroy; he does know how to destroy, and that is half the battle.”
    - Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have heard that original antique cars now bring premiums if they are in presentable, running condition. >>

In the 1960's and 1970's muscle car era, lower to mid-mileage, original paint/patina cars bring just as much or more than decently restored cars. Collectors want an original, well kept car in solid condition sporting its original paint and componets. These are getting harder to find as the restoration craze of the 1990-2008 era ruined a lot of original cars. It was just like dipping coins. The rapid increase in collector car prices from 2004-2008 brought a lot of fresh cars to the market where glitz and a quickie paint job sold them for stupid money. No different than the coin dipping boom from 2004-2008 where the flashier the better. After 2008 people started coming to their senses.

On some very scarce cars like 1970-1971 Hemi Cuda convertibles (or rare 1960's Ferrari's) I would imagine that a very nice original car would bring a LOT more than most any restored one. Any one can restore a car (or dip a coin). Finding a nice original specimen is the hard part. Many areas of collectibles now award big premiums for originality of surfaces: antique toys, duck decoys, fishing lures, and just about most anything with nice original painted surfaces.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Original stained glass with patina is very attractive and can get pricey.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    It is the opposite in the rare book world. Books are penalized for pages being 'tarnished' or as it is called in the book world, foxed.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not in comic books >>

For Comic books, the patina is the original plastic sleeve cover.

Tyler
  • Options
    Every antique item I am aware of drops significantly in collector interest and thus value once the original patina has been removed.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    It seems back when I was a kid (1960's), toned coins were considered to have environment damage and everyone wanted the super shiny blast white silver coins. My have times changed.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems back when I was a kid (1960's), toned coins were considered to have environment damage and everyone wanted the super shiny blast white silver coins. My have times changed. >>

They sold lots and lots of coin dip back in the 60's!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems back when I was a kid (1960's), toned coins were considered to have environment damage and everyone wanted the super shiny blast white silver coins. My have times changed. >>

They sold lots and lots of coin dip back in the 60's! >>

That's what I mean. No one wanted those ugly damaged coins. so, you have to watch out for coins that were cleaned. Not only dipped but down right polished!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it is valued, tarnish is environmental damage - every bit as much as a dip in surface altering solution. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although it is valued, tarnish is environmental damage - every bit as much as a dip in surface altering solution. Cheers, RickO >>

That point can be debated. No two patinas are exactly the same. And therefore no two will react alike if left alone, or if immediately dipped. If a coin with patina has been stable for decades there's no reason to remove it. The oxide layer can become protective. And whenever that original patina is removed, it will eventually grow back unless placed in a completely inert environment (ie vacuum - void of contaminants).

It does seem to be the case that the majority of the human race seems to prefer its metal freshly polished and shiny. I first became aware of the propensity to "buff" coins on the Christmas coin displays back in the mid-1960's and several of the larger local retailers (Sears, Macy's, Woolworth's, etc). Reprocessed and gleaming 1943 zinc pennies were everywhere. They almost got me to buy into it too. When my mom had me polishing the holiday silver serving set I usually used the same stuff to clean the "tarnish" off my silver coins. But, I was fortunate to eventually swallow the red pill.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When my mom had me polishing the holiday silver serving set I usually used the same stuff to clean the "tarnish" off my silver coins. >>

Brings back memories. My grandmother had about 60 Morgans. In the early 1960's, my dad picked up a coin price guide at the supermarket (probably cost a quarter). Before checking values, he pulled out the polishing paste gunk and put a good shine on each coin. All the coins were listed at $2.00 each in the guide except one that was $8. Probably a CC or even a 93-S.

Sadly the coins were probably dumped as scrap in the 80's.
  • Options
    PrillerPriller Posts: 111 ✭✭

Any patina / toning is a result of what the coin experienced during its life. This is what makes it unique and gives it character. Of course, it may not always be attractive or acceptable.

The movie The Red Violin should be required viewing to put this in perspective.

To me, a collection where every coin is blast white or shinny gold would be pretty boring.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but it depends. I have always done well with color but it has to be the right color and the right coin. $1000 bucks for what I would call a modern Silver eagle with color seems high. I sold several old holder PCI toned eagles for around $350.00 each. I paid around $250.00 for them as I recall. "High" is relative if someone has the wants and the money.

A Sterling tankard from the 1800's with beautiful patina and color would bring more than a scrubbed bright one for sure...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file