Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much of a premium for the OGH

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had an interaction with a seller (dealer) looking for a large premium (30%) for an OGH CAC $20 over a similar quality CAC example in a current holder.

My question... What premium would you pay for a coin in an old holder vs a similar quality coin in current gen plastic?

Comments

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

- $0.00 -
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big premium for RD copper in OGH.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The premium would depend on the coin however I prefer older holders for long term ownership as stability while stored in my SDB is my main concern.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed a premium associated with the OGH (doily excluded), but I have noticed increased liquidity for them.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    which coin looks better?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think PCGS currently grades as conservatively as they did back in the OGH days. Of course that statement is open to wide debate but that's just
    my observation / opinion.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Interesting question because I just bought a coin that fits those parameters. I think it depends on the coin. A fair amount of OGHs are conservatively graded compared to today's standards, and if you and the dealer agree that that's the case, then a premium would be warranted. I wouldn't pay a high premium just for any OGH though, only if I felt the coin was undergraded. Here's the coin I just purchased. According to the dealer, it's an undergraded coin and I agreed with him, so I paid a premium because it also has original surfaces. The coin, in hand, is very attractive. Also, be aware that the strike on the 1870-1875 Carson City double eagles was weak in the hair area and should not be confused with wear.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current standards are tougher.

That said, there is not enough info offered to even guess if it is worth 30% more. What happens at the next grade up? How does it look? Etc.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most OGH's that deserved to be upgraded have been. Is this coin going to make it now? Have to see the coin to determine.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Way.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Zero. I don't collect OGHs and I stay away from coins in them because of the premium.
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't noticed a premium associated with the OGH (doily excluded), but I have noticed increased liquidity for them. >>

This although there are a few series where examples are rare or scarce that will incite spirited bidding. Also some series they actually bring down values such as DMPL
  • Options

<< <i>Most OGH's that deserved to be upgraded have been. Is this coin going to make it now? Have to see the coin to determine. >>

Fair enough. I didn't want to post the coin because it is still for sale.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Most OGH's that deserved to be upgraded have been. Is this coin going to make it now? Have to see the coin to determine. >>

Fair enough. I didn't want to post the coin because it is still for sale. >>

yeah, but wasn't the question based on the fact that both coins are in fact the same grade? if one is an upgrade candidate, that negates the question, no?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

yeah, but wasn't the question based on the fact that both coins are in fact the same grade? if one is an upgrade candidate, that negates the question, no? >>

Both are the same technical grade, originality, etc. only difference to me is the OGH.
  • Options
    How about this scenario...

1.) You buy the currently graded coin and happily save 30%.

2.) A few months pass and you notice your recent newp turning in the holder due to something which was unseen when graded.

3.) With the guarantee changes not only do you have to go through the hassle of shipping, waiting, but also paying.

4.) After a few months the coin returns fixed but looking different.

5.) You no longer like it and sell it off at a slight loss.

6.) You look for another and wish you'd paid up for the OGH example.

7.) Time is money and the lack of aggravation would have been well worth 30%

Edited to add:

I might pay more for a NGC non pronged or ANACS white chase holder too just for piece of mind image

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is a NICE coin in an old slab then maybe 10-15% but it really depends on the coin more than the slab.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

yeah, but wasn't the question based on the fact that both coins are in fact the same grade? if one is an upgrade candidate, that negates the question, no? >>

Both are the same technical grade, originality, etc. only difference to me is the OGH. >>

If the only difference is the OGH, then I would pass on the 30% premium. Maybe it's worth 10% more and an easier re-sell with little chance of it being puttied.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Both are the same technical grade, originality, etc. only difference to me is the OGH. >>

then choose on eye appeal. you have a great eye.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    RE:
    Both are the same technical grade, originality, etc. only difference to me is the OGH

As a collector of gold you should buy the coin, not the holder. Everyone would agree an OGH adds a certain cachet. I always have a preference when looking at 2 coins of the same grade & originality, etc. If you have not seen both in hand, perhaps you should. When/if you have, choose the one you deem the best value.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing. Buy the coin and not the holder.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd probably buy the OGH over a modern slab just for the coolness. But if I paid a premium it would be awfully small.

A no-line fatty or a rattler is a different story. With either of them, and with the coin being all that, I like FadetoBlack's 10% or $100, whichever is less.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't pay more for an OGH. Perhaps Tom is right and it'll be easier to sell down the road.

Given two equal coins at the same price and one is an OGH I'd choose that. Otherwise I'd buy the one I liked better.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The third grade opinion on the OGH has been given by the, assumed, green bean.

If it doesn't need a gold bean, and isn't the best looking $20 in that grade, ... 30% on a $20 seems excessive.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't pay more for an OGH. Perhaps Tom is right and it'll be easier to sell down the road.

Given two equal coins at the same price and one is an OGH I'd choose that. Otherwise I'd buy the one I liked better.
    Lance. >>

Would you pay 30% more for a green CAC OGH that is only slightly better in the grade?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that certain coins in OGH should receive a small premium, but it would depend on how badly you want the coin. I think there is a very thick line drawn here as some are yelling out "Buy the coin and not the holder", when we all know that is virtually impossible 100% of the time. I think that if you have an OGH with a very red 1955 DDO MS65RD and the coin may have been slabbed 20 years ago, well you might argue that the coin is quite stable in that holder vs. a last generation holder with a tri-gasket disc, and room for a lot of air. Only time will tell and I'm sure that it would be easier to buy the OGH instead of waiting 20 more years.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy any copper that is a Classic Large Cent or earlier unless it was in an OGH.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10% or $100 seems like a reasonable starting point but for an exceptional OGH / CAC stickered coin, could go even higher.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The premium would depend on the coin however I prefer older holders for long term ownership as stability while stored in my SDB is my main concern. >>

What he said!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Not a very scientific way but I would split the dollar difference between the current grade and next higher grade. OGH may mean an under-graded coin. The CAC certainly bodes well.
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I do collect them and I really don't want to pay much over a retail price for the coin if I agree with the grade on the holder.
    But there are exceptions to this rule.
    Bob

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd probably buy the OGH over a modern slab just for the coolness. But if I paid a premium it would be awfully small.

A no-line fatty or a rattler is a different story. With either of them, and with the coin being all that, I like FadetoBlack's 10% or $100, whichever is less. >>

Small premium here as well. Maybe $15 for a second generation and $25 for the rattler.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't pay more for an OGH. Perhaps Tom is right and it'll be easier to sell down the road.

Lance. >>

Would you pay 30% more for a green CAC OGH that is only slightly better in the grade? >>

That isn't OP's question. He said they are the same quality. So no, I wouldn't pay 30% more for the OGH.

If one was better than the other then yes, I would pay more. How much more would depend on how much nicer it was, and how much 30% amounts to.
    Lance.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Lance said - I don't pay more for an OGH. Perhaps Tom is right and it'll be easier to sell down the road.

Lance.

Another point - I saw a somewhat better late date walker in a 64 rattler holder at a show last weekend....sensing perhaps some
    opportunity, I examined it....and it was lucky to have gotten a 64 at the time, because it wouldn't now. Way too many contact marks.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    did somebody say red copper in OGH
    palmer
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a tough type coin and I'm doing a OGH set, maybe.

Common type coin, no way.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    A 30% premium?? This is a great example of getting buried in a coin. I am sure the coin is nice and correctly graded as slabbed coins are suppose to be.

The coin should be a little easier to sell but not at a premium, ask your self how many dealers are going to pay YOU 30 percent extra for having your coins in OGH's when the time comes to sell.

I like buying coins in the OGH holders, I like the look a lot better than the blue insert but not for extra.

This would be a great question for someone on here that has Laura's super secret cell phone number to get her thoughts.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    none
    i'm not into "holder" premium or added stickers

i was just looking at 42 proof walkers
    one is a rattler with gold cac......"oh my".....pr64....$1150
    one is current with green cac.......................pr66.....$625

sillyness is how i see it and in with the crowd who agrees
    utter sillyness
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Checked ebay just now - there are over 50 $20's in OGH's, another 10 or so in rattlers.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have seen a lot of OGH's holdered coins in the local B&M's around my area lately. A lot are graded ms60 to ms62, these were coins bought from the local dealers raw and sent in for graded back in the day. These have not been picked over for upgrade, regrade, sticker and what not. They are priced right to boot. I have been thinking of buying a few and see if they with be worthy of a football. If I do and they do I will list them at a premium.image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $20's (and generally all BU gold) don't carry a big ogh premium like a lot of other coins might. A lot depends on the grade and date. A common type 3 $20 Lib in MS63 shouldn't carry more than a 5% premium. I had an 1893 $20 Lib in MS63 (ogh cac) and I had to work my tail off to get an extra 2-1/2% premium for that coin (that was mid-2011 though). Considering that gold doesn't really tone or corrode leaves you with just having to evaluate luster, strike, and marks....pretty easy. Not as bid and advantage to ogh's here vs. say 19th century silver and copper coinage. With ogh's having come out from say 1990-1998, that's a big window where the quality varied quite a bit. By 1998 the regrade bonanza was in full swing and those last couple of years tend to be no better than today's coins. From 1990-1993 the ogh's are probably pretty solid though.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    This is the type of OGH you want to find - the tough Ty2 but not called out on the holder. image

• Options

<< <i>did somebody say red copper in OGH
    image >>

Would love to see the reverse! image

In a newer holder no matter how many stickers it had I wouldn't even glance at a RD like this...

Since my coins only come home to visits 3-4 times a year it just wouldn't be worth the risk.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero - that dealer is full of it

I don't play the holder or sticker game.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been and always should be about the coin, not the holder. Anyone paying stupid money based on a holder color without a quality coin inside it (or the ability to know whether it's a quality coin) is doomed to be disappointed.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think any red copper that's been in a holder at least 10 years shows promise to stay red.
    I'd pay a premium if I like the coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file