Home U.S. Coin Forum

1907 High Relief Saint on Ebay for $2500?

s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
Text

1907 High Relief $20 Saint NGC MS62 2 hours to go and $2500 bid for a $20,000 coin.

Seller has no feedback since 2005.

Curious

Comments

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly a hijacked account. That's the MO these days - sell a high value item at below market from a dormant account. Just a guess, but seller probably has no prior coin selling history, too...
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone one here bidding to take a chance on winning it?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • No feedback in over 8 years! Be careful . . .
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Is that a big red dot I see on the wing?
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The serial number matches the coin on the NGC site, but there is no photo of the piece. But something does not see right here.

The red dot could be from the camera that to photo. I've had trouble with that on occasion because of the picture indicator on the front of the camera. Copper spots can look reddish when the photo is kind of juiced as this one appears to be.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    No sales by this seller in 8 years. No return on item. $2.75 shipping.

I reported the item to eBay.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another example of why I no longer frequent ebay..... too much trash or fraud. I know, some of you still get good deals, and many of the dealers here sell on ebay..... not disparaging the honest segment, just found too much of the other side there anymore. Cheers, RickO
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    For anyone in general who has been burned on eBay, it is still a really great place! Make sure to only shop with regularly active sellers who consistently receive positive feedback! When you shop, look for 14 day return policies too! Always purchase with a CC through PayPal. If something goes bad eBay PayPal and your CC company will protect you! I use Discover and they are very helpful when it comes to any issues that arise from online shopping!
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Intense sniper action at the end as the coin went from $4400 to $26,600 in around 2 min.

Still, seems fishy. I am glad the bidding went over PCGS Price Guide.
    I would hate to have missed a chance to own such a coin for $2600.

This way there was no chance. Like you were watching a beautiful woman
    alone at the bar all night and then she leaves with the bartender. You
    were never in the game.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    That's a nice coin
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final hammer $26,600. Red flags but no violation of ebay rules. Pic not your standard good pic that got lifted from another site. Less than 100 feedback as a seller means funds will be on hold. Buyer may have funds temporarily held up if there is a claim but he won't lose them.

"The good old days when “JUSTICE” stood for something instead of “JUST US.”" - Martin Armstrong

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    something is funny about this. i hope the buyer does not get burnt
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I'm 95% sure the winner was Mark Feld.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW, I'm 95% sure the winner was Mark Feld.

-Paul >>

Are you suggesting it was a protective bid to nullify the sale? I would be surprised if anyone here would pay that much for a MS62, regardless of the poor photo and no return privilege.

Edited to add: OK, I just read the Hong Kong sourced 1804 dollar thread and appreciate what is going on.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $26,600 is too much money for an MS-62 graded St. Gaudens High Releif. Here are the Gray Sheet bid numbers:

MS-62 $16,550
    MS-63 $22,000
    MS-64 $26,600

I know it's the Gray Sheet, but it's not off by $10,000.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I had been tracking this piece and had been emailing the seller for several days trying to verify if he actually had it.

I concluded he probably did not. It would usually take him over a day to respond, refused to supply supplementary images, and refused to supply any additional form of communication.

<< <i>$26,600 is too much money for an MS-62 graded St. Gaudens High Releif. Here are the Gray Sheet bid numbers:

MS-62 $16,550
    MS-63 $22,000
    MS-64 $26,600

I know it's the Gray Sheet, but it's not off by $10,000. >>

Maybe MF is bidding it up to keep it from actually selling.

"The good old days when “JUSTICE” stood for something instead of “JUST US.”" - Martin Armstrong

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But no crook who wants to retain his/her freedom would sell on ebay; Craigslist cash sales would be a more likely venue. >>

I disagree wholeheartedly. There is a guy who has been hijacking accounts and selling 1995 Anniversary Eagle sets for about 9 months now. He finds a dormant or low volume seller, hacks into the account and sells the set for $5000-$5400 Buy it Now. I have turned him in at least 50 times over the past 9 months, sometimes before the sale, sometimes after. He usually sets up on the weekend, but not always. I don't know how many Ebay has been able to stop before the funds went through, but based on his persistence, some must be succeeding. If I had to guess, he's somewhere east of the Danube or maybe north of the Yangtse, in other words, foreign. There is little that can be done legally to stop him on this side...
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But no crook who wants to retain his/her freedom would sell on ebay; Craigslist cash sales would be a more likely venue. >>

I disagree wholeheartedly. There is a guy who has been hijacking accounts and selling 1995 Anniversary Eagle sets for about 9 months now. He finds a dormant or low volume seller, hacks into the account and sells the set for $5000-$5400 Buy it Now. I have turned him in at least 50 times over the past 9 months, sometimes before the sale, sometimes after. He usually sets up on the weekend, but not always. I don't know how many Ebay has been able to stop before the funds went through, but based on his persistence, some must be succeeding. If I had to guess, he's somewhere east of the Danube or maybe north of the Yangtse, in other words, foreign. There is little that can be done legally to stop him on this side... >>

paypal has restrictions on withdrawing funds and unless the "hacker" had the proper credentials that matched pp account and a traceable back account, i don't see them getting too much of the money before getting caught. BUT, i bet they can spend the funds quite freely and buy something with strong liquidity and get it shipped to them or somewhere around them.

so it is surely a good thing to stop all this nonsense before those people get their money which they do only god knows with.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Seller's feedback:

<< <i>Hijacked account? Seller offerred discount for me to wire funds. No thanks. Member id ilikereallyoldthings ( Feedback Score Of 223Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) Aug-19-13 08:29 1907 St. Gaudens Roman Numeral Wire Edge MS62 (#221267650348) US $26,600.00 View Item >>

Paypal holds back seller funds on ebay accounts with less than 100 feedback as a seller. Also, most hijacked accounts are the result of a dormant account holder clicking on an email link to log into their account.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file