Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally Found the Coin I`ve Been Searchin` For!!!(UPDATE IN FIRST POST~~FINALLY)

LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
After 5-7 years of waiting/looking, the exact coin showed up on the Bay this morning but at the present time I do not have the funds to add it to my set.

Oh well...image

UPDATE~
Ok. Well I had thought that this coin was gonna pass me by as my immediate funds(all at once) were not available to bring it to me. Let me state that I was not asking for help by my posting this thread. I was however blown away and humbled by PM`s asking what the coin was and how they could help.

The thing is I really haven`t had too much interraction with the members here(dealwise) other than me posting to the boards since 2006. I have met AUandAG and had lunch together while I was vacationing with my girlfriend and have met a couple of others just to say Hi. I bought a coin from Ajia and one from Guitarwares, but besides these couple of transactions I have no way for anyone to have confidence in me. It`s nice to know there are still people willing to help.

Being a full time single Dad with two daughters makes it a little tough to continue to add higher priced coins(for me) to my collection.

I was fortunate with the help of these boards and some of it`s awesome members to add my this one to my Morgan Set.
GoldenEyeNumismatics and AnkurJ played a big part in making it happen and I want to thank them so much. image

So here she is...the exact way I wanted her...1896-S in PCGS plastic, pass the kool-aid cuz I drink itimage, in AU58. Now don`t get me wrong, this date/mm is readily available in XF and lower grades and MS 63 and up. Finding an AU58 just doesn`t happen. Why are there so very few AU`s out there? I don`t have any idea but they are hard to come by. AU58 grade coins can be almost as attractive as a MS coins and this one has enough of a price difference to make me want the 58 over a 63. The Pop for this coin is a mere 29 in 58 as compared to 502 in 63 which also makes it more appealing to me.

Anyway I won`t bore you any longer...
A few pics with different lighting
imageimage
imageimage

So again, Thank You to everyone who expressed interest in helping me and Thank You to PCGS for these wonderful forums....otherwise this coin would have passed me by.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buy it anyway!

At least my failures to do that in the past have provided me with that lesson.
  • Options

<< <i>buy it anyway!

At least my failures to do that in the past have provided me with that lesson. >>

I tend to agree unless it is life altering expensive
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>buy it anyway!

At least my failures to do that in the past have provided me with that lesson. >>

I tend to agree unless it is life altering expensive >>

Maybe if I hit a couple Superbowl blocks I`ll think about it a little moreimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After 5-7 years of waiting/looking, the exact coin showed up on the Bay this morning but at the present time I do not have the funds to add it to my set.

Oh well...image >>

i feel your pain but hang in there, it will come in time
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call up a dealer friend you've done a good amount of business with and ask them to buy it and you'll buy it from them for a couple percent more, paying over time or via a trade. If I found a coin I'd been waiting for that long for, I'd bend over backwards to make it work.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd call up a dealer friend you've done a good amount of business with and ask them to buy it and you'll buy it from them for a couple percent more, paying over time or via a trade. If I found a coin I'd been waiting for that long for, I'd bend over backwards to make it work. >>

Bingo
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image If for no reason other than to test your resolve at facing a monumental challenge. It is better to have tried and failed, than to have never tried. Have you communicated with the seller ?
    There are some here who are adversaries of using a service like Collateral Finance Corporation, but you would be wise to at least explore the option. They even accept bullion as collateral on loans.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I'd call up a dealer friend you've done a good amount of business with and ask them to buy it and you'll buy it from them for a couple percent more, paying over time or via a trade. If I found a coin I'd been waiting for that long for, I'd bend over backwards to make it work. >>

I agree - find a way to make it work. I once got cold feet on an item in a 1980 NASCA auction because it went past the available money in my pocket. I'm still waiting for that item to reappear. Looking back, I could have easily figured it a way to finance the deal.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Searching five to seven years and now you won't pull the trigger? Unless the money is way beyond your means, I would suggest working with someone to procure the coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Is it still for sale?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it still for sale? >>

Yeah, but it`s only been listed for 19hrs +/-
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Searching five to seven years and now you won't pull the trigger? Unless the money is way beyond your means, I would suggest working with someone to procure the coin. >>

I agree with TomB. If you've been searching that long, it probably is worth stepping up to get it.

You might ask yourself how long it will take to find the next one if you let this one pass by.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    If it's a Morgan 1879-O/over horizontal O VAM 28,please PM me.
    That particular VAM is rated a rarity 6.
  • Options

<< <i>If it's a Morgan 1879-O/over horizontal O VAM 28,please PM me.
    That particular VAM is rated a rarity 6. >>

A Morgan, yes, but not this.
  • Options
    Update coming to this thread soon....

Thanks to help from this forum and it`s membersimage
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain! I have always wanted an original 1913 Liberty Nickel and the Walton specimen is on the block. But...money prevents me from bidding and purchasing it. image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

<< <i>I feel your pain! I have always wanted an original 1913 Liberty Nickel and the Walton specimen is on the block. But...money prevents me from bidding and purchasing it. image >>

Not even close!

That`s a dream coin for most including myself. Nice to be able to even have it on your want list.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Update coming to this thread soon....

Thanks to help from this forum and it`s membersimage >>

Even if it is a silly Morgan, this thread interests me a bit. Hoping for good news! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I believe I know which one it is, and the dealer has a solid reputation. Ask if you can buy it on a 3 - 4 month layaway, with 5% interest?

edited for spelling
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's the exact coin you've been looking for 5-7 years you must know what the cost will be. Why wait any longer? It's only money as another forum member has told me.

You may not get the chance again. Go For It!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with PPC and others, go for it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like the OP may have bought it? keep us updated!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, DO NOT let the coin get away. If you've been waiting for this piece for 5-7 years, you'll kick yourself if you don't buy it. Even if you have to liquidate part of your collection, do what it takes. I had a similar situation happen to me several years ago and I ended up trading away one of my most valuable pieces, but today I'm glad I did. The piece I traded away was easily replaceable. The coin I acquired was not.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe I know which one it is, and the dealer has a solid reputation. Ask if you can buy it on a 3 - 4 month layaway, with 5% interest?

edited for spelling[/q

Well i was way off.
    I have no idea what it is now.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the responders have urged you to buy the coin by any means necessary.

A year ago I would have said the same thing. Then I sold my collection and haven't bought a coin since. But over the past year I've seen many coins that I'd like to own.

This has taught me a few things.

There will always be other coins out there you will want.

Unless this is a truly rare coin (less than say 100 examples known) then you can find another one. But even if you can't, you can do without this coin. Life will go on.

There are other things in life more important than a coin.

So I suggest you only buy this coin if you can do so comfortably.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this coin have a BIN?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless this is a truly rare coin (less than say 100 examples known) then you can find another one. But even if you can't, you can do without this coin. Life will go on.

If the coin's not worth some discomfort, the coin's probably not worth buying even if you had the money.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>If the coin's not worth some discomfort, the coin's probably not worth buying even if you had the money. >>

That's a ridiculous statement. A hobby should not cause discomfort.

I get the impression that most of those who encouraged the OP to buy the coin at all costs did so because they would buy it at all costs and they want the comfort of knowing they are not alone.

But for a dealer to encourage a collector to extend beyond his means to obtain a coin - any coin - is reprehensible.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There will always be other coins out there you will want.

If the coin's not worth some discomfort, the coin's probably not worth buying even if you had the money. >>

I totally agree with you.....

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    But for a dealer to encourage a collector to extend beyond his means to obtain a coin - any coin - is reprehensible.

I suppose it comes down to how you define "means". For example, if you have to borrow money to buy a house, is it beyond your means?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    You know, it's kinda funny. If someone tells you a story about how he bought some fabulous coin 50 years ago with his paper route money, and how it took him 3 months to pay it off at the local coin shop, and today he still has it and it's worth six figures, you marvel at his industry, tenacity and brilliance. But if an adult tells you that he doesn't have the money to buy his dream coin, you tell him to not even try.

Actually, not funny. Sad.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>After 5-7 years of waiting/looking, the exact coin showed up on the Bay this morning but at the present time I do not have the funds to add it to my set.

Oh well...image >>

If you don't have the funds to add it to your set sell something else.....maybe some common coins and buy the coin!

Otherwise why spend the time to wait and look?!image

• Options

<< <i>Most of the responders have urged you to buy the coin by any means necessary.

A year ago I would have said the same thing. Then I sold my collection and haven't bought a coin since. But over the past year I've seen many coins that I'd like to own.

This has taught me a few things.

So I suggest you only buy this coin if you can do so comfortably. >>

Midlife, how many times are you going to post that you sold your entire collection and haven't bought a coin since? Sorry, but I am not inspired by whatever wisdom you think found.

• Options
    WELL WHAT IS IT? I got my popcorn ready...don't just leave us hanging like this.
  • Options
    Most adults have more responsibilities and expenses than a kid with a paper route.

So, of course it all depends on how you define your means.

If you're buying a house, you still should know how much house you can comfortably afford and consider your job security, how much savings you have, etc.

But the OP started this thread stating he didn't have the funds. That should be it...end of discussion...for the reasons I cited above.
  • Options

<< <i>Midlife, how many times are you going to post that you sold your entire collection and haven't bought a coin since? Sorry, but I am not inspired by whatever wisdom you think found. >>

I'm going to post it as many times as I want to...and as many times as I think it may have some relevance to the point I'm making.

You think I should check with you first next time?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Midlife, how many times are you going to post that you sold your entire collection and haven't bought a coin since? Sorry, but I am not inspired by whatever wisdom you think found. >>

I'm going to post it as many times as I want to...and as many times as I think it may have some relevance to the point I'm making.

You think I should check with you first next time? >>

imageimage

• Options
    Midlife, how many times are you going to post that you sold your entire collection and haven't bought a coin since? Sorry, but I am not inspired by whatever wisdom you think found.

Me too. It's sort of like someone coming onto a boxing website and arguing that sweating should be avoided at all costs.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Midlife, how many times are you going to post that you sold your entire collection and haven't bought a coin since? Sorry, but I am not inspired by whatever wisdom you think found.

Me too. It's sort of like someone coming onto a boxing website and arguing that sweating should be avoided at all costs. >>

I get that you don't like me coming in and raining on the parade of posters telling the OP to buy a coin he didn't think he could afford.

But I don't care.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.ebay.com/itm/GORGEOUS-TONE-1881S-PCGS-MS65-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-U-S-COIN-MS-65-1881-S-/350723821180?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item51a8c4ce7c

Could it be her? >>

I think if the OP wanted to tell us which coin it is (and I can't think of any good reason why he should do that), he'll do so without any prompting.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suppose it comes down to how you define "means". For example, if you have to borrow money to buy a house, is it beyond your means? >>

+1 - A very valid viewpoint. I own my house and don't have any loans outstanding for anything (I've made a point of avoiding them so far in life), but with how cheap cash is today, I would be completely willing to take one out to buy the right coin if it became available. If you have job security and understand your income/expenses, I don't see a problem with paying a few extra percent on a coin (or something else) if you know you can pay it off in a pre-determined amount of time.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are two important points to consider here:

1. The OP said he did not have the funds at the present time, not that he could not afford it. If the former, perhaps he could find a creative solution to acquire the coin that would not be painful at all.

2. My college dorm room had that Zoso thing painted on one wall, and it was so expertly done that the maintenance staff allowed us to leave it there despite the fact that it was a clear violation of the Stalineque rules they had governing room decorations.
  • Options

<< <i>I think there are two important points to consider here:

1. The OP said he did not have the funds at the present time, not that he could not afford it. If the former, perhaps he could find a creative solution to acquire the coin that would not be painful at all.

2. My college dorm room had that Zoso thing painted on one wall, and it was so expertly done that the maintenance staff allowed us to leave it there despite the fact that it was a clear violation of the Stalineque rules they had governing room decorations. >>

Exactly.

Wait...What?

• Options
    image for update
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think there are two important points to consider here:

2. My college dorm room had that Zoso thing painted on one wall, and it was so expertly done that the maintenance staff allowed us to leave it there despite the fact that it was a clear violation of the Stalineque rules they had governing room decorations. >>

I knew you were cool, but not that cool!

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful looking coin. Congratulations to you and the fellow forum members for adding it to your set. This world does have genuine kind folks afterall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file