Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gambled On A Raw 1881-S Morgan

I almost never buy raw unless I'm buying at the silver value but I really thought this Morgan looked good and the price was right. Found it in a little antique shop in New England where I'm on vacation. It's not my series so I hope I didn't overpay! What do you guys think this grades at?

Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    at melt...looks nice even if for a 7070...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I had a feeling she was cleaned. Story of my life image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah I had a feeling she was cleaned. Story of my life image >>

not necessarily so...just hard to tell from image
    pretty looking melt purchase i swear
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell for sure if the streaks on the face are scratches, toning or remnants of a fingerprint but the coin looks nice to me.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>I can't tell for sure if the streaks on the face are scratches, toning or remnants of a fingerprint but the coin looks nice to me. >>

It looks like a fingerprint to me. There's no scratches on the face image
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    So you think it's original? It's always hard for me to tell on these coins that are more proof-like. Have a difficult time discerning between over-dipped or not. Care to venture a guess on a grade?
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like a nice coin, no real scratches or anything. I wonder if it was dipped but not dipped right hence those lines. If it does grade, maybe 64-65? Has muted luster though
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    If you have any other coins to submit with it to reduce grading and shipping costs,please do, and let us know the results.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Just the wrong mint mark! Probably a nice 65 IMHO.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>I like it. Just the wrong mint mark! Probably a nice 65 IMHO.

bobimage >>

Bob one day I'll own a nice CC Morgan! image I do plan on submitting this one. Hoping for a 65 personally and that's what I thought it was when I bought it. Paid $70.
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    I don't see anything that indicates it has been cleaned, other than a possible dip.

Based on what I can see from the images, I'd say you have a 65 there, and quite possibly a 66. Really depends on how much of that haze is on the coin flip.

If you paid close to silver value, then you did real good.
  • Options
    "I do plan on submitting this one. Hoping for a 65 personally and that's what I thought it was when I bought it. Paid $70."
    best education going
    always nice too...to have you're own examples for a per se "grading reference" and what's acceptable
    i too concur
    65/66 is not out the question
    halo's around stars are a lil concern...but that's all...a lil concern...images are not prime to truly guess from...image
    nice...very nice example

• Options
    Thanks guys. Ever since I bought a couple fake Seated Dollars a couple years ago when I first got rolling I've completely avoided raw coins unless I was buying them at melt. This was the first step in what will prove to be a very long process image
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. Ever since I bought a couple fake Seated Dollars a couple years ago when I first got rolling I've completely avoided raw coins unless I was buying them at melt. This was the first step in what will prove to be a very long process image >>

i highly recommend people spend some time in my counterfeit thread

i've been into numismatics less than 3 years and 95% of the coins i've bought are raw, and i've bought thousands and would be surprised to learn if more than 2 were altered/counterfeit, so if i can buy raw coins successfullly, anyone can. it is a simple matter of getting out what you put in.

sowwy for the off-topic OP. images are too poor to accurately guess but it sure looks like it has promise

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>halo's around stars are a lil concern...but that's all...a lil concern...images are not prime to truly guess from... nice...very nice example >>

That's what I saw, too. Those little halos don't come naturally...
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought it for melt, there is nothing to worry about. Very nice coin.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipped, 65 net !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I'd say dipped. The obverse looks hazy ... dead giveaway. Bad rinse job?

Wonder what kind of patina it had that the previous owner found objectionable? We can only guess ...
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    I agree it has been dipped but the question is will it grade? It has begun to retone a lovely red color around the edges which I find very pleasant. I plan to give it a quick acetone bath and a good rinse before sending it out.
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    Love to see the post-bath photo. I think it could go 65.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64+, shot at 65 if it hasnt been cleaned
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no opinions in the plastic.

Try new pix outside the holder
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering if it has PVC ?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Technically it ought to 65 from the pics I am seeing.

Nothing wrong with buying raw coins, I must have made close to half the coins in my Barber half set (VF-XF) and I think that I had a what, 95% success rate with grading them?
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    I went back to the same shop today and bought a bunch more coins image

I am going to do something a little different I'll make a video and post it on YouTube so you guys can more easily see the coins. It'll be educational AND fun! Once I get home from Vacation that is. Thanks again for all the kind words and help!
    Justin From Jersey

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a dipped coin. I see a coin that needs to be photographed outside the holder. Looks 65 to me.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    San Francisco minted a lot of great Morgans in 1881. It's not difficult to find nice specimens in this year.
  • Options
    Looks like you have a shot!!!!!
    Good luck.
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file