Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How about some unusual PL or near PL coins

Prooflike Morgans are certainly beautiful, but somewhat common. Let's see some PL or near PL coins that are not usually seen. A Peace $, or Franklin, or Washington, or a Buffalo nickel, or whatever. They don't have to be graded PL just have that look.
I will start with a Walking Liberty half. It is a 42-S graded MS64 by our host. I am not claiming it is a full PL, but it leans that way.

Post what you have.

image Respectfully, Mark

Comments

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few in Jefferson nickels. image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭
    We sold this Prooflike 1819 Large Cent not too long ago (photos were taken from a trueview of the coin):

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a steel cent? Even looks cameo when held at the right angle.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>How about a steel cent? Even looks cameo when held at the right angle.

image >>

I like the reverse.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1876 $20 NGC AU58 CAC

imageimage
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    16S walker, NGC AU58.....the fields toned gold from the years it was in my Dansco set, prior to submission to NGC, which enhanced the cameo affect:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    I have a 1926s PCGS MS63 PL Peace dollar but no pictures of if image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    non silver dollar PL coins are very cool! Ive seen some NGC PL coins that looked great, for example, PL franklins
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1807 quarter has always been a bear for me to photograph, and it is only an AU-55 so some of the mint surface is gone. Still both sides show proof-like surfaces, the most obvious spot in the area of the stars above the eagle's head. It is an early die state of the 1807 Browning 2 variety which does not show a crack on the reverse which shows on virtually all of the examples of this die variety.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    This is fully PL
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of PL dimes. The 1879 is a PCGS MS66. The reverse of the 1940-S is somewhat PL, but not as much as the obverse. It's a difficult coin to photograph.

imageimage

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few NGC PL's.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, what a gorgeous Buffalo!! Don't let crazyhounddog see it. Where have you been hiding that one?
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller's Description
    Very flashy, with a semi-prooflike appearance, bordering on prooflike on the obverse.

That side also features splashes of vivid green, red and orange color, which is more translucent and prettier in hand.

The darker areas, in particular, look very different and quite gorgeous, under light.

All very true.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    grrrrrrrrrrreat coins...keep um coming
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the ngc pls!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    rather interesting one here...not really too sure how to grab it's image...but linked...enjoy
    1934-d peace dollar anacs pl
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I've posted these before but they're some of my favorites. A few I have since sold...

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our host does not afford the PL designation on business strike Seated type, but then this coin may be other than a business strikeimage
    I have never seen another like it, thus the unusual characterizaton...

imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1876 $20 NGC AU58 CAC

imageimage >>

So is that the top of an 8 or a 6 in the denticles below the date?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

"So is that the top of an 8 or a 6 in the denticles below the date?"

Or maybe even the curvature of the flag of the 7.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Lot of attractive coins in this thread image

Here's my contribution... sorry for the reflections in the photos.

-Mike
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both of these are fully PL in hand and reside in green label PCGS holders

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MPL-like?
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Bought it in an ICG 64PL holder,incredible mirrors!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file