Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Member "wilskyy" (PLEASE READ)

anyone ever had a conversation or done a deal with this user? He had a few gold coins listed on the BST.......
if so, please let me know how it turned out.
Thanks!
CJ
"When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay Pal called me (aug 18th) and returned the money I sent. This for paymenton a deal through the BST (aug 16th). It was peculiar, but I just let it go. The transaction fell through and I was made whole.
    Scott W. then wrote and apologized saying Pay Pal was jacking with his account.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He might be a perfectly fine chap, but my personal policy is to not do transactions with folks who I do not get a good vibe with interacting on this forum (USCF). Of course, that excludes the people who rarely or never post over here as I get no vibe from them. Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    Bumped..........do NOT do business with this user.....he has some gold on the BST.....he just scammed me out of $820 and has tried it on a couple others... FYI!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $820 in barely 2 days? How did this go down? Details please.
  • Options
    No..it was last week.....he had a 1932 $10 Indian Head for sale here. I PM'd him with an offer..he accepted, i sent paypal, he sent me a tracking number (which never came up in the system) and now won't get back with me. I have been in contact with at least 3 forum members he has tried this on and he still has a 1900 $10 Liberty Head posted on the BST. I have all the info, ( which he gave me a different name and paypal account) then he did a couple of the others..........I will def. be tracking him down!!

STAY AWAY!!

• Options

<< <i>Bumped..........do NOT do business with this user.....he has some gold on the BST.....he just scammed me out of $820 and has tried it on a couple others... FYI! >>

If you are CERTAIN that you are right about that, you should post it over there, where others might be affected. However, before you make a public accusation of they type you just did, you'd better be darned sure that there isn't another plausible explanation.

Edited to add: Even legitimate tracking numbers do not always show up in the system.
  • Options
    I'm sure.....like I said, I have dealt with others already that had run ins with this guy.....he has used different names and different paypal accounts....i've done my research!
    I know its my fault for not doing the research beforehand...but i guess you live and learn...i will be filing a paypal claim, and possibly get others involved.
    CJ

• Options
    I do agree sometimes tracking numbers won't come up in the system...but I have a VERY good reason to believe this is a scam.. as stated above, he gave me and other members fake names, he wouldn't give me a city or state where he shipped the coin from, he wouldn't give 2 other members his phone number or info to verify this paypal account...like i said, i've been doing my research the last 3 days! After he reads this, I may get the coin..who knows..but I am certain this was just a scam to get $$$.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't paypal gift that did you? Isn't that outside the dispute protection??
  • Options

<< <i>No..it was last week.....he had a 1932 $10 Indian Head for sale here. I PM'd him with an offer..he accepted, i sent paypal, he sent me a tracking number (which never came up in the system) and now won't get back with me. I have been in contact with at least 3 forum members he has tried this on and he still has a 1900 $10 Liberty Head posted on the BST. I have all the info, ( which he gave me a different name and paypal account) then he did a couple of the others..........I will def. be tracking him down!!

STAY AWAY!! >>

I remember seeing that listing and thinking that it was a pretty good buy. Sorry that you got burned.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I too remember the post and almost pm'ed him but I had already bought a $10 Liberty that day. Sorry to hear of the burn. Did you pay with regular Paypal, or gift.

Edited to add it was not his: 1900 $10 Liberty that I bought.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do agree sometimes tracking numbers won't come up in the system...but I have a VERY good reason to believe this is a scam.. as stated above, he gave me and other members fake names, he wouldn't give me a city or state where he shipped the coin from, he wouldn't give 2 other members his phone number or info to verify this paypal account...like i said, i've been doing my research the last 3 days! After he reads this, I may get the coin..who knows..but I am certain this was just a scam to get $$$. >>

If you are 99% sure, then I would suggest you post the facts on his BST thread. Let people draw their own conclusion.

But if your concern is that he has given you a tracking number and it doesn't show up, that is not a reason for concern at 3 days. --Jerry
  • Options
    He has the coin back up for sale, is there still an issue with this?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    False alarm someone bumped it. Sorry

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Never mind...I just hope the OP, as well as those other members he mentioned, have been made whole.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure that paypal buyer protection will apply on this transaction. You may be limited to only what they can recover from seller's paypal account. Per their website, buyer protection for non ebay purchases is limited to when you "bought your item on a merchant's website." I ran into this problem a while back when I made a similar purchase (not BST) over the telephone and paid with paypal. Paypal took the dispute, investigated and found in my favor. However, any return of my money was limited to what paypal could recover from the seller's account, which by now was emptied by the seller. They did say they turned the fraud investigation over to local law enforcement. Using the seller's name and address I searched him out on the web and discovered he and his wife had been convicted in another state for internet fraud and put on probation. My research led me to the name and phone number of the prosecuter of his first case who I contacted and turned all the info over to. Last I heard he was awating trial, never got my money back.

Definitely keep us posted on the outcome.

I do have a concern about your accusation that seems to be based on three things:
    1. Bogus tracking number. Tracking numbers can take many days to be updated on the website. I know this as fact from experience.
    2. You claim he tried this on at least 3 other forum members. How do they know he tried to rip them off if they didn't do business with him. Why haven't any of them backed your accusation with a post to this thread. Also, how do you know someone "using different names and paypal accounts" is in fact the same person. Many sellers have multiple IDs and paypal accounts. This is not necessarily an indication they are a criminal.
    3. He hasn't replied to your requests. Depending on how much time has passed by, there could be a good explanation for this.

You can sure add some horsepower to your accusation if you will post the date you paid him via paypal. The amount of time that has passed indicates the likelyhood of you being ripped off. So far it appears you might be jumping the gun. Was it a registered mail tracking number? Registered can take up to two weeks to arrive. Post the tracking number, there will be no personal information shown on the search results.

Not trying to hammer you on this, but so far, based strictly on what has been posted to this thread, I'd say it appears you might be panicing a bit too soon. Let's all hope so. If your accusation does turn out to be premature and without merit you will have cost this guy a possible sale on his current BST listing. I, and I'm sure others reading this thread are not buying from him until this plays out. Theft by a forum member is a pretty serious accusation, I hope time will prove you wrong.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Pay Pal called me (aug 18th) and returned the money I sent. This for paymenton a deal through the BST (aug 16th). It was peculiar, but I just let it go. The transaction fell through and I was made whole.
    Scott W. then wrote and apologized saying Pay Pal was jacking with his account. >>

Are you talking about the same seller mentioned in the OP?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone notified the forum moderators to have his BST posts poofed and to have him banned?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Has anyone notified the forum moderators to have his BST posts poofed and to have him banned? >>

I'm not a moderator, but at this point, based strictly on what has been posted, I don't know that he is a thief. He is definitely a suspect. The postings on his BST thread will alert potential buyers.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone notified the forum moderators to have his BST posts poofed and to have him banned? >>

I'm not a moderator, but at this point, based strictly on what has been posted, I don't know that he is a thief. He is definitely a suspect. The postings on his BST thread will alert potential buyers. >>

If this guy is using this forum to commit theft, PCGS/CU needs to know about it.

• Options
    Couldn't agree more. But as I stated earlier it has not been established, by the information provided, that he has committed theft. Of course, that's just my opinion. Are you, based on the information provided, convinced that he has committed theft? Or do you suspect he has committed theft. Big difference when it comes to banning a member.

• Options

<< <i>Couldn't agree more. But as I stated earlier it has not been established, by the information provided, that he has committed theft. Of course, that's just my opinion. Are you, based on the information provided, convinced that he has committed theft? Or do you suspect he has committed theft. Big difference when it comes to banning a member. >>

I'm just saying that PCGS should look into this situation.

• Options
    I'm sure they monitor these boards and will take whatever action they deem appropriate.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I offered to buy his $10 Lib......but only if he ships first. Not surprisingly, no response.

In this business you shouldn't have to wait for "proof" of a loss to protect yourself. That's insane imo. If someone has poor business pratices then let them suffer for that. After 4 yrs. I'm still "waiting" for ebay and the USPS to "prove" whether or not I got scammed out of $2100 for a PCGS MS64 $20 Lib auction that was copied/lifted from another seller and for which no record exists for such a coin being shipped or delivered. Waiting for proof so someone else can risk losing $800 as well?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Couldn't agree more. But as I stated earlier it has not been established, by the information provided, that he has committed theft. Of course, that's just my opinion. Are you, based on the information provided, convinced that he has committed theft? Or do you suspect he has committed theft. Big difference when it comes to banning a member. >>

I'm just saying that PCGS should look into this situation. >>

I wonder if PCGS, as the owner of this forum, bears any legal responsibility. Surely, the legal eagles here can answer the question, and, also surely, there is some legal precedent, likely from ebay mishaps over the years.

I do not mean to imply that PCGS has done anything wrong, but as the deep pockets, doing nothing wrong does not necessarily absolve the host of responsibility.

Mostly intellectually curious about the matter.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't one or both parties' ISP be responsible too. In fact their responsibilty should precede that of PCGS. I'm pretty sure that PCGS is void of responsibilty , since they advise to do your own due diligence. I'm sure that if PCGS felt any obligation these fora would be shut down in a Minnesota microsecond.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Good to know about this thread because I was about to send a PM to inquire about that coin.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Waiting for proof so someone else can risk losing $800 as well?

roadrunner >>

The OP did the right thing bringing to everyones attention that a BST purchases has not been delivered, tracking number doesn't come up as valid, and seller has not responded to his PMs. But until OP lets us know how long ago the item was claimed to have been shipped and how it was shipped it really is hard to tell if he got ripped or if he is blasting the seller prematurely. Depending on how long ago the item was claimed to have been shipped (not how long ago it was purchased) there could be a logical reason for no delivery to date and no info on the tracking number. There also may be a good reason he has not replied to PMs, who knows. But to call him an outright thief based strictly on the info provide in the thread I don't understand. OP says he has communicated with three other forum members who had shaky dealings with the seller. I have not seen any one of them jump into this thread to confirm the accusation.

Chances are the buyer did get ripped and he is to be thanked for warning the rest of us, but at this point and with the info he has shared and not shared it does not appear to me to be an open and shut case. Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying anything from the seller based on the red flag thrown by the OP (thank you OP). I had actually sent seller a PM on his current BST offering but followed up with a "nevermind" after seeing this post. But to be clear, I see nothing at this point that justifies calling a fellow forum member a thief and dragging his reputation through the mud.

In all fairness to those ready to lynch the guy, PCGS should pull his BST offering and PM him to resolve this issue before posting any more items for sale..

• Options

<< <i>Why wouldn't one or both parties' ISP be responsible too. In fact their responsibilty should precede that of PCGS. I'm pretty sure that PCGS is void of responsibilty , since they advise to do your own due diligence. I'm sure that if PCGS felt any obligation these fora would be shut down in a Minnesota microsecond. >>

I was asking for a serious legal opinion, not an off-the-cuff lay answer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why wouldn't one or both parties' ISP be responsible too. In fact their responsibilty should precede that of PCGS. I'm pretty sure that PCGS is void of responsibilty , since they advise to do your own due diligence. I'm sure that if PCGS felt any obligation these fora would be shut down in a Minnesota microsecond. >>

I was asking for a serious legal opinion, not an off-the-cuff lay answer. >>

I assume their legal staff has already addressed the issue.
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    So Paypal gift has no protection? I didn't know that. If you fund your paypal gift with your credit card, you would still have the credit card protection, right?

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options

<< <i>So Paypal gift has no protection? I didn't know that. If you fund your paypal gift with your credit card, you would still have the credit card protection, right?

-Fred >>

per paypal gift payments are not supposed to be used for purchases. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So Paypal gift has no protection? I didn't know that. If you fund your paypal gift with your credit card, you would still have the credit card protection, right?

-Fred >>

per paypal gift payments are not supposed to be used for purchases. image >>

Would that be why they are called "gift"? And if you wanted your gift back, why wouldn't paypal want to get in the middle of that? image
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would that be why they are called "gift"? >>

Well, I look at it as really just a way to have buyer pay fees in a purchase... or do they have an option where you can do a purchase but the buyer can still pay the fees?

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    YOu have to just add 2.x% to the price. that's the way to do it. Besides, as a high volume seller I get 2.2% vs the 2.9% the buyer would have to pay. --Jerry
  • Options
    No fees for gift. It is intended to be a way to send family money.

You can manually send a paypal invoice and include your paypal fees in the total.

If buyer pays echeck with a credit card, fees are now impossed on the echeck and I believe sender of payment can decide which party pays the fees...not sure just heard rumor of it.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    At the bottom of each page is the Terms of Use...

You hereby release CU and its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, agents and employees (collectively, the "CU Parties"), from any and all claims, disputes, demands, suits, liabilities and damages of every kind arising out of or connected with any transaction or other dealings you may have with any Participant. You understand that you offer, bid for, and agree to buy, sell and trade collectibles on or through the Site at your own risk.
  • Options

<< <i>At the bottom of each page is the Terms of Use...

You hereby release CU and its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, agents and employees (collectively, the "CU Parties"), from any and all claims, disputes, demands, suits, liabilities and damages of every kind arising out of or connected with any transaction or other dealings you may have with any Participant. You understand that you offer, bid for, and agree to buy, sell and trade collectibles on or through the Site at your own risk. >>

The Site acts as a venue between the buyer and the seller (or traders, as applicable) only, and is not a party to the sale or trade transaction. CU has no control over the items and services listed on the Site or purchased or traded through the Site, the quality of such items, or whether such items correspond to their description on the Site. CU also cannot ensure that a buyer, seller or trader will pay the money or send the goods or perform the services promised, and CU makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the performance of any Participant. You hereby release CU and its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, agents and employees (collectively, the "CU Parties"), from any and all claims, disputes, demands, suits, liabilities and damages of every kind arising out of or connected with any transaction or other dealings you may have with any Participant. You understand that you offer, bid for, and agree to buy, sell and trade collectibles on or through the Site at your own risk.

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>At the bottom of each page is the Terms of Use...

You hereby release CU and its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, agents and employees (collectively, the "CU Parties"), from any and all claims, disputes, demands, suits, liabilities and damages of every kind arising out of or connected with any transaction or other dealings you may have with any Participant. You understand that you offer, bid for, and agree to buy, sell and trade collectibles on or through the Site at your own risk. >>

That being the case I dont know if there is ANY reason to buy from the bst forum for me anyway.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That being the case I dont know if there is ANY reason to buy from the bst forum for me anyway. >>

You've not met trustworthy collectors in almost two years here? image
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I have many buys and sells on the BST and so far all have went very smooth. Also a little common sense tells us all when to act and when not to. Once I was PM'd an offer for some gold eagles that was to good to be true from a new member, I agreed to the deal but wanted the coins shipped to me first then I woujld pay Immed thru paypal and I would pay the fee's. he never msged me back. Anyway the BST is a great place to buy and sell and proabably all that do sell there would have no problem providing references if needed. A bad apple can surface in any venue.
    AL
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    BST is still the safest place to buy and sell. You just need to ask for references from the buyer and seller and your good to go.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I feel if you want a safe transaction, the BST is the place to be - generally, of course.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can deal with a bad apple, but it's tough when it starts off as an orange and turns into a lemon.
  • Options

<< <i>I feel if you want a safe transaction, the BST is the place to be - generally, of course. >>

Agree. I've had many safe and problem free transactions on the BST including a few four figure transactions. Make sure the person that you are buying from has been an active participant for at least a couple of years with at least a few hundred posts and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does everyone think like me, if the member/seller is known by me, or is a well known member/seller or can be vouched for, checked out, and/or positively discussed with others than my guard goes down. If the member/seller is unknown to me and to others I treat them like i can't trust them.

There are some isolated incidents where members/dealers in good standing somehow turned to the darkside and fleeced members. There are never any guarantees.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does everyone think like me, if the member/seller is known by me, or is a well known member/seller or can be vouched for, checked out, and/or positively discussed with others than my guard goes down. If the member/seller is unknown to me and to others I treat them like i can't trust them. >>

I agree with you - I've never been interested in even opening dialogue with BST sellers who never post in the other forums - and there seem to be many.

Some may say that I may be losing out, but honestly with all of the great dealers and collector board members I have met here, all of my needs have been well taken care of with known entities.

Finally, why do folks post on the BST but don't bother to put profiles up? Seems like a big red flag to me.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so how did this turn out?
  • Options
    I truly hope the op, as well as the others, are made whole from this. I hate hearing stories like this....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file