Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

COIN WORLD or NUMISMATIC NEWS POLL

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
I read both Weekly Publications from time to time and was interested in what others thought. Which one is better?

Greg
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    If I have the time I read everything. Even those not listed in your poll. If I had to choose between the two I would go with COIN WORLD.
  • Options
    You need to add a "Neither" option.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many ads in each for me. I used to subscribe to both. Now its neither. I can get enough info on the internet. Put your money somewhere else.
  • Options

<< <i>Too many ads in each for me. I used to subscribe to both. Now its neither. I can get enough info on the internet. Put your money somewhere else. >>

I do not subscribe and will not subscribe...I do not like my name in "databases" and I do not feel the need to advertise the address of a coin collector. I just pick them up at a shop every now and then. Recently, I have liked Coin World a bit more. The majority of Numismatic News can be read on their website.

Greg
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Too many ads in each for me. I used to subscribe to both. Now its neither. I can get enough info on the internet. Put your money somewhere else. >>

I do not subscribe and will not subscribe...I do not like my name in "databases" and I do not feel the need to advertise the address of a coin collector. I just pick them up at a shop every now and then. Recently, I have liked Coin World a bit more. The majority of Numismatic News can be read on their website.

Greg >>

I receive both and the only reason why I keep renewing N.N. are the weekly Mint Stats. Coin World wins by a landslide.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i get 'em both and like 'em both. BUT coin world comes faster thru the mail for some reason. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>...i get 'em both and like 'em both. BUT coin world comes faster through the mail for some reason. image >>

I agree!NN comes so inconsistently (sometimes 3 or more weeks after published date) ,I doubt if I'll renew my subscription this year.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Numismatic News should have an electronic version option, like Coin World does.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin World of the two, but I agree with erwindoc---tooooo many ads, and if that is the only way to have the mags then perhaps they no longer provide a service worth the aggravation of tearout ads, falling out ads, and full page, half page quarter page ads, ads, ads. Then that's just my opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I subscribed to both at one time.... CoinWorld is the better of the two IMO. I no longer subscribe to either since the information was neither new nor current in most cases. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I like & read Numismatic News
    Greg Bose
    CoinSpace.com Founder
    www.coinspace.com
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a preference, but I do like getting coin world for free like I have for a few months now. Each issue has an inser that says something about "you've received this issue because we think you'll like it" or something like that.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

...HEY STEVE!! how did you rate the free-bees??? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get both, and voted that way, but I prefer Coin World.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>Numismatic News should have an electronic version option, like Coin World does. >>

...i asked NN about the electronic version possibly being implemented in the future and they said they really

didn't have any plans for that. image
  • Options

<< <i>You need to add a "Neither" option. >>

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

I figured, "Just show the results" would have worked for folks like you...Can't please everyone. Instead of having 417 publications posted as options along with a none of the above....I figured I would go after a comparison of just the two publications. I am sorry I did not do what YOU wanted. Next time I will be sure to consult all 31,246 members of these forums before posting my next poll so I will be sure to find out what everyone else wants....wait a minute....this is my poll....oh I get it now, I posted what I wanted....sorry about that. image

I will go start a new thread that will suit the needs for everyone else. image
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I get both, and voted that way, but I prefer Coin World. >>

I like the" Letters to the Editor" in both, however, NN, usually prints more than CW.
  • Options
    dirtybirddirtybird Posts: 223 ✭✭
    I like both of them but had delivery problems with Coin World. Numismatic News works for me.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

what he said.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I get both, and voted that way, but I prefer Coin World. >>

I agree. However, I think Paul Green is an excellent writer and his articles in NN are worth the price of subscription.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last December, I realized that I spent more time fetching a typical issue of NN from the mailbox than reading it, so I let my subscription lapse.
    I don't 'do' moderns, and am not a fan of any advertiser who uses nebulous grades (e.g., select uncirculated, premium quality) or hawks package deals
    asserted to be quality coins but being sold at 50% of retail, etc., so there just isn't much left to read.

I have kept my CW subscription, but many of the complaints noted above apply to CW too.

Specialty journals, including internet ones like E-Sylum, offer more information of interest to me.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    blue594blue594 Posts: 550
    I get both, but prefer Coin World. That preference is in relation to the overall pub. I have to say that I really enjoy the writings of Paul Green and Ginger Raspus(sp?).

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I get both, but prefer Coin World. That preference is in relation to the overall pub. I have to say that I really enjoy the writings of Paul Green and Ginger Raspus(sp?).

>>

It's "Rapsus".

I wasn't aware she was writing for Numis News. I've seen some of her articles
    at Numismaster however.

Numismatic News was superior to Coin World for many years.

I doubt that's still true so just looked at the results.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only read CW so I don't really know which is better......
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Same here.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

I agree with both of you.

Of the two, I like CW better. However, I will not subscribe to it because they have large ads from some of the sleaziest, unethical dealers in the business.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file