Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RE: Don willis Posting

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of the rules have been longed overlooked I'm glad to see this.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    I think you may be breaking Rule 6 by posting this image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Ditto for me. And presumably, Don wont get the flack that others have received for advocating some of the same things.image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad for the post - pretty unequivocal.

But to keep the post coin related - and I am being sincere - do you think that this Liberty Nickel is accurately graded?

• Options

<< <i>I'm glad for the post - pretty unequivocal.

But to keep the post coin related - and I am being sincere - do you think that this Liberty Nickel is accurately graded?
    [/IMG] >>

From the images, it appears to be very nice for an MS63. But I can't see it well enough to determine whether I think it looks like an MS64.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would need to have the coin in hand to tell, but the luster (eye appeal) may be lacking.
    If the luster is there it has a 64 look, just an opinion!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great rules. Glad to see them. image
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Mark, it looks very nice for a 63 but you would need to post better/closer pics to determine if it has a shot at going 64.

Nice Lib nickel though image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larger, clearer pictures will show any of the grade-limiting hairlines or tics that may not be visible in those provided.
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Apparently some people didn't take me seriously. They will no longer be seen here.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    We might as well get the official opinion here.

American tokens & medals. Postworthy or not?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>Apparently some people didn't take me seriously. They will no longer be seen here. >>

• Options
    American tokens & medals. Postworthy or not?

Of course. We don't want to stifle the dialogue. Just want to keep the gross violators out.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A policy that's long overdue and much needed.

From what I can see the 1911 nickel looks wonderful for the grade. Can you reshoot the image to crop out the holder and make the coin much bigger?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently some people didn't take me seriously. They will no longer be seen here. >>

i saw that coming.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭
    The actions are long overdue, and are to be applauded. Unfortunately these actions are necessitated by the irresponsible and often offensive postings of a few. It will be nice to see a "cleaner" coin forum in the future. And that future is now. Thank you.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly favor pcgs and give them about 90% of my business.

For clarification, are pictures of US coins in other services holders still welcomed here?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that pictures of coins are fine.

Any other sorts of pictures? Highly questionable; i'll take that to heart starting today.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I certainly favor pcgs and give them about 90% of my business.

For clarification, are pictures of US coins in other services holders still welcomed here? >>

Yes, a clarification on this point would be awesome-----------

<<Rule 7) This is a PCGS forum. Posts relating to other grading companies or service are not allowed. Those posts will be removed and your posting privileges may be removed as well>>

Thanks in advance. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I didn't much care for the tone of his message, I guess I don't like people telling me "my way or the highway," but I have absolutely no problem with it's substance. I've made a number of remarks here over the last year about the lack of civility and courtesy so often seen and I'm glad it is being addressed.
    One question comes to mind: I think we know what you mean by "slanderous remarks", but when does "whistle blowing" about egregious actions by people in the coin world become slander? That can be a mighty fine line.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>American tokens & medals. Postworthy or not?

Of course. We don't want to stifle the dialogue. Just want to keep the gross violators out. >>

Well done, Don.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't much care for the tone of his message, I guess I don't like people telling me "my way or the highway," but I have absolutely no problem with it's substance. I've made a number of remarks here over the last year about the lack of civility and courtesy so often seen and I'm glad it is being addressed.
    One question comes to mind: I think we know what you mean by "slanderous remarks", but when does "whistle blowing" about egregious actions by people in the coin world become slander? That can be a mighty fine line. >>

Slander "A false defamation (expressed in spoken words, signs, or gestures) which injures the character or reputation of the person defamed" Jerry, based on that definition, "whistle blowing" doesn't amount to slander if the comments are true.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS XF 45

I bought it as junk in a roll. Who am I to argue with the customer when he demands spot prices ? I didn't even bother looking, except to make sure they were silver on the edges, at the time. I just said "okay". Nineteen junkers and one "not so junk". It sat for weeks in a 2x2 then one day I decided to send it to PCGS.

Happy coin hunting.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Thanks Don and well done.... I'm a darkside guy that reads both forums a couple of times each day. I don't post too often, but I'm always here. I dabble in U.S. sometimes but the lack of civility has often kept me from posting on the U.S. side of the forum. I just don't want to deal with some of the crap. Hopefully this will encourage more people like me to post more and ask more questions. Thank You !

Edited to add my favorite U.S. coin at the moment.
  • Options
    dirtybirddirtybird Posts: 223 ✭✭
    I just recently joined this forum but I agree with the previous posters. These guidelines are being implemented to keep order when they shouldn't really be necessary. We should treat each other with respect whether we agree or disagree with an opinion. The anonymity of the internet can make you say things that you probably wouldn't in a face-to-face conversation. I'm not crazy about rules but sometimes they are necessary. This is one of those times.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1911 looks nicer than a 63 but I do wonder whether there is green discoloration just southeast of Liberty's hair. Hard to tell from the photos.

Oh yeah, from my perspective, Don Willis' posting is overdue. I would guess more people will be willing to post about coins without worrying about getting in the middle of some personal attacks.

To keep the thread coin-alive, here's a photo, courtesy of Todd of BluCC, of a Buffalo nickel the CRO fellas sold me a couple months back:

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    I like the rules but they are enforced selectively and with prejudice. I can think of more than a few names that should have been kicked off for that and others who should not have been but were!

I think the moderators should implement short-term suspensions and a warning or two before just kicking someone off - AND EVERYONE INVOLVED SHOULD GET THE SAME TREATMENT! But, that would be like saying justice is blind and its not on these forums anymore than in the real world...
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A policy that's long overdue and much needed.

From what I can see the 1911 nickel looks wonderful for the grade. Can you reshoot the image to crop out the holder and make the coin much bigger? >>

I will do so tonight. I'm off to the beach with my wife for a walk - it's almost 80 degrees on the Gold Coast image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS XF 45

I bought it as junk in a roll. Who am I to argue with the customer when he demands spot prices ? I didn't even bother looking, except to make sure they were silver on the edges, at the time. I just said "okay". Nineteen junkers and one "not so junk". It sat for weeks in a 2x2 then one day I decided to send it to PCGS.

Happy coin hunting. >>

You would think an XF45 would have more detail and a little flash but that's just me, ok coin.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe more of the menbers need to go back and remember these rules are not new.
    You signed a TOS statement when you joined here. Text
    Or maybe like when I was signing all those papers for the house last week you just skipped to the bottom of the page and signed.
    Oh and to make it coin related the money pit gets my coin budget for the next few months.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, would you elaborate a bit on Rule #7?

Is it acceptable to post pictures of coins in other services holders for purposes of:
    1. A study or "show off" of a nice coin in a series or type?
    2. A picture of a doggy looking in the OP's opinion or overgraded coin?
    3. Opinions and polls as to whether it would "cross" at PCGS?
    4. A "before and after" grade discussion on a crossover or crackout?

This is a real question, and not meant to push any buttons. I have seen many threads of the above types that I enjoyed reading and found informative.

BTW, that is a really cool Buffalo!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the rules but they are enforced selectively and with prejudice. I can think of more than a few names that should have been kicked off for that and others who should not have been but were!

I think the moderators should implement short-term suspensions and a warning or two before just kicking someone off - AND EVERYONE INVOLVED SHOULD GET THE SAME TREATMENT! But, that would be like saying justice is blind and its not on these forums anymore than in the real world... >>

Welcome to the boards.
    Because you're new, you are probably not aware that previous warnings along these lines have been numerous over the last several years.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Is it acceptable to post pictures of coins in other services holders for purposes of....:

Yes of course. This simply is not the place for the promotion of other grading services (nor for their bashing either).
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

So, who got bammed, and what'd I miss??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it acceptable to post pictures of coins in other services holders for purposes of....:

Yes of course. This simply is not the place for the promotion of other grading services (nor for their bashing either). >>

Tought so and that's cool. Just wanted to be sure. I didn't want any yellow cards or the dreaded red one either. image Happy New Year. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Leo, I promise you there are hints of luster in the protected areas of the coin and in hand, you would not be disappointed.
    I'd even give Bear a "break even price" of less than 5 years and "no juice". image
  • Options
    Hi all. I don't post here very often. I post mainly on gun forums.

While I respect the right to make rules, it's kinda perplexing that a person would get thrown off of here for merely pointing out a violation of the newly posted rules, which, by the way, could be interpreted in various ways.

Thanks
  • Options
    Who's been thrown off for posting a violation of rules?

edited to add: Or could it have been this -

Rule 5) If you have nothing to contribute to an OP then do not post. Snide remarks and other negative comments will result in your losing your ability to post. No more warnings.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi all. I don't post here very often. I post mainly on gun forums.

While I respect the right to make rules, it's kinda perplexing that a person would get thrown off of here for merely pointing out a violation of the newly posted rules, which, by the way, could be interpreted in various ways.

Thanks >>

they didn`t point anything out. they blatently broke one of the rules.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Don and well done.... I'm a darkside guy that reads both forums a couple of times each day. I don't post too often, but I'm always here. I dabble in U.S. sometimes but the lack of civility has often kept me from posting on the U.S. side of the forum. I just don't want to deal with some of the crap. Hopefully this will encourage more people like me to post more and ask more questions. Thank You !

Edited to add my favorite U.S. coin at the moment. >>

Same goes for me, I collect US as well occasionally but my interest is mainly World and I've always found that forum to be much more courteous. Even with all the problems (hopefully in the past now) the US coin forum is and will probably remain the best forum out there bar none. I think this has mostly to do with some of the experts this forum is lucky to have. JMO
    Jim
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good rules Don! I applaud your efforts and will certainly do my best to abide by them.

I would like to add that like a few other posters, that perhaps a warning would be given to 'first time offenders'.

I consider myself to be a 'good guy' on this forum and I would be very dissapointed if I was kicked off for one 'stupid' mistake.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Good to see the rules posted. I am sure no one will get kicked off for one stupid mistake. image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Leo, I promise you there are hints of luster in the protected areas of the coin and in hand, you would not be disappointed.
    I'd even give Bear a "break even price" of less than 5 years and "no juice". image >>

Better picture?
    imageimage

No.......if it doesn't have five perfect steps on the reverse while the rest of the coin sucks........image
    Seriously, I have a few of those quarters but nothing to brag about.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for quoting the rules Don. The reason I enjoy posting here is because it is so well moderated.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I enjoy posting here is because it is so well moderated.

Really?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Well anyway, the price is negotiable image
  • Options
    I would be very dissapointed if I was kicked off for one 'stupid' mistake.

Being stupid is one thing. I assume that is unintentional.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sports Cards and Memorabilia Forum should take heed of Don's edict. It would greatly improve the content there.
  • Options
    I think the B/S/T board needs an overhaul- people selling mostly junk and very little high end PCGS material.

it should be to sell only what the house has.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file