Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1851 gold dollar... "C" mintmark, or "O"? (2010 update w/different pics)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Geez, LordM, what an idiotic question.

Any dummy could tell the difference between a C and an O, right?

*ahem*

Ummm... think again?

I'm sure there's a way to tell from just the left half of the mintmark, but it's beyond my skill level.

Early gold peoples, care to lend a clue?

This "closeup" is really just an enlarged part of the picture above, but it'll have to do until I take some more pics. Thanks to the other Rob who took the pictures I have.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'm sure our resident Gold Dollar expert, Ambro, will let you know image
    (And that's not meant to be sarcastic, he really seems to know his stuff in the short period he's worked on his set)
  • Options
    Looks like the very rare "o OH!" mint mark. image

... or maybe it's a double struck MM, with the second strike going all the way through. Gold is soft. image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    candidate for PCGS Genuine slab to determine mm?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I agree with SavoySpecial, unless some expert(s) here can determine for sure.

Sorry, I don't know enough about these to be of much help.
  • Options
    rjsvtrjsvt Posts: 163
    I'm no expert, and I don't know how many different reverses were used for these dates. But I believe the O mint mark is larger than the C, and the loop in the date's 5 is open more in the Charlotte coin. Based on that, yours looks like a C to me.

bob
    Bob
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a very neat one, LordM. I think all you need to do is examine old auction pics of those dates and pick up on any die characteristics. What did it set you back?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice addition to the 'holey collection'.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Was it a local purchase or a online purchase?
  • Options
    Breen says:

1851 C Small c. 3 pairs of dies 1850 obverse may also have been used.

1851 O Large O. 4 pairs of dies shipped; heavy or light stars, positional vars.

I can't see how that helps but I wanted to post anyway. image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    image It might help anyway Carl! Neat coin, LordM and a very nice addition, as ricko said. image
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the color in your photograph accurate ?
    It always seemed like the C's and D's that I've owned in the past were a little 'green'.
    Not that I've had the dollars, I'm just speaking in general.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat coin... LOTS of history... L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Lord M, yours is a C. The top of the mintmark on yours is more flat like the "C" rather than the "O" which has curvature throughout the top and bottom of the mintmark. Also the sheer size of your mintmark is closer to the "C" since it is overall smaller.

Edit to add Lord M's coin right under to make comparison easier.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I agree - looks like a C - Congrats!
  • Options
    I as well lean towards the C...nice coin even with a hole...
  • Options
    I don't know based on the pics above the mintmark on the holed coin looks to big to be a C, I think it's an O mint coin.
  • Options
    <<<I don't know based on the pics above the mintmark on the holed coin looks to big to be a C, I think it's an O mint coin. >>>

I agree, if you compare the height of the mm on your coin with the height of the mm's of the New Orleans it is slightly larger than the left bow below the date. The Charlotte mm is approx equal to the length of the left bow. Based on that it looks like a New Orleans piece.

John
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I'd like to see a closeup image of the mintmark, but at the moment (and after consulting DW's New Orleans and Charlotte books), I'm leaning towards a 'C'.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh

an O

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I don't claim to know anything about the series, but by the photos provided...I think the mint mark size looks close to the "O"
  • Options
    I wonder if the people saying the mintmark looks bigger than the C realize its a bigger picture? Its a C, if you look at how the tops of the halves of the letter start to come down in the C and in the O youll notice that the Os never really start to come down at all.
  • Options
  • Options
    MoneyCollectorMoneyCollector Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    Another observation: the obverse of lordm's coin matches the C. If a similar obverse was used in NO, then it could be an O.

Randy
  • Options
    <<<I wonder if the people saying the mintmark looks bigger than the C realize its a bigger picture?>>>

The ratio remains the same if you use the "O" mm to the "O" bow and the "C" mm to the "C" bow.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know. Tried to figure it out from a GIF but that just gave me a headache.

Too worn to see the die crack that most C coins have,

dont really know.
  • Options
    I'm getting seasick.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    its an O

I hope you didn't pay C price for it (of course the seller would say it is a C)
  • Options
    who knows. The lettering seems too strong for the Charlotte mint coins, which usually were struck from a relapped die. But, of course not ALL were relapped, so it could be a C.

• Options
    Without a doubt a C minted coin.

The right bars of the C are clearly there. The O mint mark wouldnt produce that kind of metal flow from the hole.

Its a C mint mark.
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 539 ✭✭✭
    I also think you have a C, that being said with no knowledge of the series.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    based on pictures alone-
    the o looks much larger than the c and the coin you have seems to be c size
    good luck
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Well then, that definitely settles it.

It's a "C".

Or an "O", depending on who you believe.

I think it's an "O", btw.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a C to me. My "O", don't have a "C" yet.

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a "C". You can clearly see the end points of the C that have been pushed inward because of the hole.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Even I can clearly see the serifs of the C!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I don't think those are serifs. An actual "c" mm only has one at the top. I believe that's metal movement from the hole being punched from the other side. Comparing the size to the other examples and using the ribbon as a point of reference, I still believe it's an "o", but it is really not possible to tell for certain with these photos. Need to see in hand along with other examples to know for sure.

Just my opinion.image
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's been beaten up and abused, but looks more like a Charlotte product than the Big Easy version.

C'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    I suggest drilling the hole a bit larger and calling it a Philly coin...that would end the speculation image

Lord M, when you really really look at this close see if you can see the trace of a die crack above OF AM(erica). That is a surefire diagnostic for a Charlotte mint 51. May be too worn to see that though.

• Options
    I originally said it looked like a C. Then I tried to overlay the images that were posted and thought it was the yet undiscovered inverted D mint. But after some resizing, I'm leaning toward an O.

Resized and rotated the images:

Cropped just the mint mark area and did an overlay. I colored the images to try to get them to contrast a little more in the overlay (but it didn't really work).
    In my opinion, your coin seems to match the O mint mark better than the C. But with the wear and the metal that probably got moved around drilling the hole, it's still difficult to be sure.

Here's an overlay of the C and O mint coins for comparison.

Hope this helps.

bob
    Bob
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple Math and English tells me there is 1 lower case o and 1 upper case O. The second o goes all the way through. Hence: an 1851 oh oh imageimage
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    either way,
    it's an 0 now

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ugh maybe its time to concentrate away from the MM and look at the denticles. Charlotte had a horrible time making them look good, while New Orleans always had them perfect.

The OP coin looks like they are NOT that good. Tilts the scale to C
  • Options
    I dont know what any of you guys are seein, but its a C mint mark and Id bet money on that!

Its too small for an O mint mark.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a C to me, but rjsvt's overlay images are awesome.

Nice work there...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    <<<I dont know what any of you guys are seein, but its a C mint mark and Id bet money on that!>>>

I'll take that bet Mr. Know it all.
  • Options
    Animated pics to add to the confusion. I admit, I may have sized the pics incorrectly, it wouldn't take much of a resizing error to make it look like the other mint mark.

bob
    Bob
  • Options
    <<I'll take that bet Mr. Know it all. >>

Thanks... I try to know everything about everything...image

Im not a know it all, I know the mint mark. Its a C coin and if sent in for grading, it would come back in a gennie holder with a C on the label.

No need to be in a pissing contest though, it is what it is, a C minted gold holed dollar.

• Options
    OK. Im gonna CALL IT.

go back to Nicetonings set of three images on page 2 of this thread.

Look at the distance between the bottom star and the bottom of the portrait bust on the obverse. Based on the fact that Charlotte did not usually finish dies fully before use, and that New Orleans did. The Philadelphia mint struck the dies very fully, before shipment, and that controls how deep the hub had impressed the stars, letters and features into the die. These features were tapered larger, by Longacre, wider to the surface of the die, so they were closer together. The C mint had wider features than the New Orleans mint coin.

We note that the bottom star and the bottom of the portrait bust are much closer together on both the holed coin and the example 51C. See also how much distance there is from the star to the bottom of the bust on the New Orleans coin? It is greater because that die is finished down, ground down, prior to use.

To add, from Doug Winters "Gold Coins of the Charlotte Mint" page 51 "...weakness is seen on TES in STATES and the border on the right". This is seen on the OP's coin, obvious despite the wear. The denticles are nearly gone on the right border on the reverse.

so................Im calling the OP coin a Charlotte Mint.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the star @ 6:30 on the obverse.
    Based on the relationship to the bust, to me it is an obvious 'C' coin.
  • Options
    <<<Take a look at the stars on the obverse.
    To me it is an obvious 'C' coin. >>>

I noticed that too, but the size of the mm persuaded me that it is an "O" mm. But, all said and done, I hope it's a "C" for LordM's collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file