Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's Next For PCGS?

I would like to see PCGS attribute PL and DMPL MS coins other than just Morgans.

Anyone else have any other ideas for PCGS to consider?

keoj

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will provide free imaging for all submissions other than bulk and economy. They'll do this as a defense against counterfeit slabs, but also to facilitate virtual collecting and actual trading.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I think they should start minting counterfeit Pandas and sell them to China
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭

<< <i>They will provide free imaging for all submissions other than bulk and economy. They'll do this as a defense against counterfeit slabs, but also to facilitate virtual collecting and actual trading. >>

That's a great idea Andy!
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they should start minting counterfeit Pandas and sell them to China >>

Ahahahahahahaha....
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Drop the club and have a simpler price structure.

Like:

Grade a coin $15
    If it's a variety add $15
    Add $15 plus $1 per coin for return shiping
    For faster service double the total.

Ed
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Buying back their stock, going private, and serving collectors instead of Wall Street?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    i'd like to see a coin that'd deserve a PL/DMPL designation other than a morgan image
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They will provide free imaging for all submissions other than bulk and economy. They'll do this as a defense against counterfeit slabs, but also to facilitate virtual collecting and actual trading. >>

I would love to see this!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Going private is a great idea.
    They could turn into a private not for profit historical preservation company.
    Then they wouldn't need to worry about "what's next". There's only so many twist to grading a coin and putting in a holder.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provide submission forms in other languages besides English, and offer free Tru-views for the rarity/ultra rarity submissions ($200 +)...
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buying back their stock, going private, and serving collectors instead of Wall Street? >>

///////////////////////////

Appears likely.

Recent filings show that Mr. Hall has been buying shares like mad.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Chapter 13

At the current prices buying the stock is not a huge gamble. If it crashes you have not lost a lot but if it goes up..... Maybe i ought to..
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

"Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they should start minting counterfeit Pandas and sell them to China >>

But then they'll just come back in fake PCGS holders.
  • Options
    Attributing more varieties.
    With all the good books out now describing the varieties, the numbers of variety collectors is growing rapidly.
    If they don't do this and NCG does, it may be their downfall.

Ray
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Remove the 1878P Morgan VAMs from the basic Morgan collection. image
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Chapter 13

At the current prices buying the stock is not a huge gamble. If it crashes you have not lost a lot but if it goes up..... Maybe i ought to.. >>

Yup, if earnings and their stock price continues to plummet, bankruptcy is right around the corner. I think they will break off and go private soon, to save PCGS from going
    down the toliet.
  • Options
    Immeadiately begin to grade: Tokens, Medals and So-Called Dollars.

Having done that, coupled with all the Stock buying that David is doing, CLCT should rise up to the moon. image
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...Having a wholesale change in the way grading is done is the only way to significantly increase revenues. Getting "tighter" with market grading is not the solution, as has been evidenced to date."

////////////////////////////////

Yup.

"Market Grading" is the potential ruination of all TPGs, in all collectible categories.

However, the pressure for "high grades" comes from customers and is NOT simply
    an element of greed on the part of the TPGs.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to see PCGS attribute PL and DMPL MS coins other than just Morgans.

keoj >>

I'd like to see them attribute the Friendly Eagle Variety IKE - Reverse Die Variety number 6 (RDV-006) before they do anything else. Its an easily distinguishable and obvious die .variety
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Buying back their stock, going private, and serving collectors instead of Wall Street? >>

PCGS has always been a "Dealers" grading service. Collectors were only allowed in within the past 10 years or so.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

I would love to see this! >>

Add 3 days to current turn around times. Better yet, if every coin is imaged, add a full week if not longer due to the increased volume.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Add 3 days to current turn around times.

Imaging shouldn't have an effect on turnaround times, except maybe for walkthroughs. In fact, the coins would probably be shot before the graders even see them.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i> Add 3 days to current turn around times.

Imaging shouldn't have an effect on turnaround times, except maybe for walkthroughs. In fact, the coins would probably be shot before the graders even see them. >>

Andy, imaging ALREADY adds 5 days to the turn around times which I just verified with Customer Service.

As for photographing everything that comes in, I cannot begin to imagine the handling problems associated with this. And by "handling problems" I'm not referring to the process as much as I am referring to the physical "handling" of each and every coin which comes through shipping and receiving.

As it sits right now, handling is done ONLY by the graders while grading the coin unless TrueView photographs have been requested and then the encapsulators. Add a third step to the handling and you double the odds of getting unwanted fingerprints or, worse yet, damage to the coins.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    It’s not cheap to be a public company. Look at with Sarbanes-Oxley and its impact on the costs of regulatory compliance, plus in order to be public you need accountants, auditors, PR firms, investor relations staff, not to mention a group of senior managers that spends time dealing with wall street, investment firms that know nothing about coins, and the nosey analysts. Plus you have to publish private financial infomation about the owners, make all your plans and missteps available to the public and the competition, Who needs such hassles and expense. Even companies MUCH larger than CLCT have been going private.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outsourcing grading and encapsulation to Mexico, customer service to India.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It’s not cheap to be a public company. Look at with Sarbanes-Oxley and its impact on the costs of regulatory compliance, plus in order to be public you need accountants, auditors, PR firms, investor relations staff, not to mention a group of senior managers that spends time dealing with wall street, investment firms that know nothing about coins, and the nosey analysts. Plus you have to publish private financial infomation about the owners, make all your plans and missteps available to the public and the competition, Who needs such hassles and expense. Even companies MUCH larger than CLCT have been going private. >>

I think this is an idea, too. With stock prices so cheap, there are lots of companies that can be had for a song (even taking into account the premium you might need to pay to current shareholders, which would still be less, all-in, from what prices were 9 months ago). The issue is raising capital, but with a good business proposition, I am sure TradedollarNut will loosen his purse strings and back the venture. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Grade and guarantee authenticity of ancient coins.

Swipe the new market NGC is creating right out from under them.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like them to show what stage of the process an order is in when you do an on-line status check.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Outsourcing grading and encapsulation to Mexico, customer service to India.

I was under the impression they already did that. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Why not hold a “National Numismatic Crackout Day?” Collectors would smash open all their plastic coins slabs, then resubmit everything for a new grade and a new, higher fee. The TPGs could body bag everything several times before finally putting a “grade” on each coin.

Or – do a deal with the mint so that all circulation coins would be graded and slabbed…might make putting a quarter in the soft drink machine a trifle awkward….

These ideas would certainly boost sales.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    What's Next For PCGS?

First Strike designation for the "Obama Dollars?"
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    They will provide free imaging for all submissions other than bulk and economy. They'll do this as a defense against counterfeit slabs, but also to facilitate virtual collecting and actual trading.

Unfortunately for PCGS, NGC will do this first.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>They will provide free imaging for all submissions other than bulk and economy. They'll do this as a defense against counterfeit slabs, but also to facilitate virtual collecting and actual trading.

Unfortunately for PCGS, NGC will do this first. >>

Way to go NGC!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to see PCGS attribute PL and DMPL MS coins other than just Morgans.

keoj >>

I prefer the Canadian grading of:

Cameo, Heavy Cameo; Ultra Heavy Cameo.

Seems a whole lot simpler this way.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently everyone responding here previously is not paying attention to the big picture. What say you all about their recent announcement about promoting their services in China? My take is that D.H. and D.W. recognize that the market for their services has huge potential with the Asian collector market. With the possible revenue generated in China alone, the speculation about PCGS going private again seems rather far fetched.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>They will provide free imaging for all submissions other than bulk and economy. They'll do this as a defense against counterfeit slabs, but also to facilitate virtual collecting and actual trading.

Unfortunately for PCGS, NGC will do this first. >>

DGS has been doing this for many month's now:

AuthentiVIEW™ technology
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Consistent grading.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Immeadiately begin to grade: Tokens, Medals and So-Called Dollars. >>

It would be nice to see some of these in PCGS plastic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file