Home U.S. Coin Forum

Neat artifact re: 1964 Peace Dollar

it may have been posted already but i found this letter from the treasury dept (c. 1973) very interesting regarding the peace dollars struck by the denver mint

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder that LBJ might have gotten one of the 1964 Peace Dollars, as he was a strong proponent of the coin being struck.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many are in the hands of the public?

A couple of them had to of escaped, don't you think?

If one was in your possession, what would you do with it?

Who would you trust?

Interesting memo!

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>it may have been posted already but i found this letter from the treasury dept (c. 1973) very interesting regarding the peace dollars struck by the denver mint

image >>

image ABOUT THOSE 1933 SAINTS I THINK THE SAME THING WOULD HAPPEN!!

GARBAGE IS NOT PROPERTY!!

IMHO "DESTROYING" MAKES THEM GARBAGE AND IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO PICK GARBAGE!!! image
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    There is extensive research information on the 1964-D Peace dollars in A Guide Book of Peace Dollars 1921-1964 that is planned for release by Whitman Publishing in November. It includes behind-the-scenes political dealing and even shows the weight of silver processed from beginning to end of the work as provided by the assistant coiner. Most of the info has never been published.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Wow something not as old as I am being referred to as a artifact imageimage
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be afraid to own one of these. Some guy in a suit and dark glasses would come knocking on my door telling me it's his.
    (probably my brother)
  • "ordered destroyed under the strict supervisory and accounting procedures required by Mint regulations"

Couldn't help but think of my FOIA dealings with the Mint RE: the 08/07 eagle when I read this line!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    >>I'd be afraid to own one of these. Some guy in a suit and dark glasses would come knocking on my door telling me it's his.
    (probably my brother)>>

i was speaking with a hobby veteran the other day regarding these and he confirmed for me that a few of the dealers in the 1970's that advertised heavily to buy these later discovered business phone lines had been tapped (big brother is listening) image

some of the ads would say (paraphrasing) "Call Collect, Will Fly to You"

i have also heard a rumor that a pair of these is safe and sound in storage in France......could this be the mysterious 2 the got spent "at a bar" by a former Denver mint employee the first day they were released (prior to confiscation the next morning at the risk of job loss)

www.brunkauctions.com

• What is on page 2? image
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,266 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting; however, I thought a lot more than just "trial strikes" were produced.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

• << <i>Very interesting; however, I thought a lot more than just "trial strikes" were produced. >>

"Trial strikes" seems easier to write than "millions of never-to-be-coins because Congress mandated their destruction since their striking had never been authorized by Congress in the first place although informally authorization had been granted by President LBJ or an underling in his name upon pressure from silver interests who not only wanted a new silver dollar production run but who knew that the pending silver shortage would be greatly exascerbated by striking millions of these silver dollars and thus their silver mines would once again be profitable and who believed that starting the production run on the QT would force Congress to go along for the ride ."
    Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
    I could comment, but you guys will just have to wait for the book...and the movie....and the TV series "Denver CSJ." Don't forget the product tie-ins, including swimwear, too!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since all I see is a red 'x'... could someone please post a link? Thank you, Cheers, RickO
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that RWB is holding back some info on us - probably a lot.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    It took about 35 pages in the Peace dollar book to tell the story of the 1964-D dollars - how could I begin to describe it here? You'll have to wait until the book is available.
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It took about 35 pages in the Peace dollar book to tell the story of the 1964-D dollars - how could I begin to describe it here? You'll have to wait until the book is available. >>

Please tell your publisher to shelve whatever drivel he plans to print before your book and get cracking with this one. I've been waiting all year for this to come out.image
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • So the two my granddaddy hide in the 3rd pine tree past the brick path next to the small stream in northern Wyoming near Yellowstone Park should stay hidden a while longerimage
    and I wanted to get them graded so bad.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So the two my granddaddy hide in the 3rd pine tree past the brick path next to the small stream in northern Wyoming near Yellowstone Park should stay hidden a while longerimage
    and I wanted to get them graded so bad.

Dan >>

I will be heading south as soon as I get off work. image
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    so should i expect a call from a g-man for posting this pic?

www.brunkauctions.com

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    if you do a google search on this, there is a really well done article that talks about this and a coin dealer mentioned that he was offered 5 of these coins for about 5k a piece back in the day BUT at the same time the government ran an ad saying that they would confiscate any they found. The coin dealer said that he believed the person offering the 5 were legitimate but that the sellers backed out because they were scared by the government.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow that's new to me. Wish they would have gone through with it.
    Please tell your publisher to shelve whatever drivel he plans to print before your book and get cracking with this one. I've been waiting all year for this to come out.

The Peace dollar book has gone to the printer. Labor Day weekend was used to make final corrections. Whitman's release date is planned for Nov. 11, 2008 at 11am (90 years after the WW-I armistice).
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It took about 35 pages in the Peace dollar book to tell the story of the 1964-D dollars - how could I begin to describe it here? You'll have to wait until the book is available. >>

I want to read the whole story and will happily buy the book when it is published!

Anyone that knows a bit about Lyndon Johnson should consider the likelihood that he got at least one of these coins and didn't have to return it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I want to read the whole story and will happily buy the book when it is published!

Anyone that knows a bit about Lyndon Johnson should consider the likelihood that he got at least one of these coins and didn't have to return it. >>

Lyndon Johnson was one of those presidents that believed himself a bit above the law, a lot like Nixon and Bush and Clinton. It is a non-partisan statement, some people no matter what party affiliation they are, just are a bit full of themselves.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file