Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay put up millions of fake auctions to artificially boost numbers

If anyone thinks the boycott and seller exodus didn't affect eBay, read this gem of a thread:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=2000527568

Comments

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    wow the facts so far check out. Theres a lot to read there but I'm seeing sellers with 0 FB and no items currently listed that people were saying had thousands of auctions during the boycott. Of course the specific item numbers are POOF. Back to reading on that thread for a while.

link to post on eBay forum

Edited to throw in a link.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    Whoa this seller listed 10001 auctions recently and looks like NONE of them had bids.

link to auctions
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

• Options
    on a related note; Ebays 1 year stock chart
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoa this seller listed 10001 auctions recently and looks like NONE of them had bids.

link to auctions >>

Wow ebay must really be hurting..but if fleabay insiders really were the the phony sellers..then this would be fraud with the intent of misleading stock investors..
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they have all been closed, as far as I can tell

30 day listing only available in stores

I thought you needed some history before you could start a store
  • Options

<< <i>they have all been closed, as far as I can tell

30 day listing only available in stores

I thought you needed some history before you could start a store >>

Hadn't even thought of that. On my wifes account it wouldn't let her set a buy it now or do a fixed price auction till she hit a certain number of feedback.

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
  • Options
    Incredible!image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they lead to

pcRush.com

which is a valid website which may have actually
    had their computer start all of these

www.pcRush.com

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Here is a post from powersellersunite.com where one person has identified 185,000 fake auction listings.

I read the rumors of eBay posting Shill Listings and took them with a grain of salt. I didnt think they could stoop so low. I was wrong.

User ID sdc_prod_434012 has 34998 items listed. No feedback. When you click on the feedback profile it shows User Id SPECTRUMSUPERSTORE member since 11 April 2007.

sdc_prod_9124_14 HAS 48391 ITEMS LISTED. 253 Feedback. When you click on the feedback profile it shows User Id THENERDS, INC member since DEC 2007

sdc_prod_9074_35 HAS 21401 ITEMS LISTED. 0 feedback. When you click on the feedback profile it shows User Id PCRUSH.COM ,member since 28 FEB 2008. And get this NOT A REGISTERED USER WITH OVER 20 THOUSAND LISTINGS? eBay is starting to cover this up.

sdc_prod_9452 HAS 24471 ITEMS LISTED. 75 FEEDBACK. When you click on the feedback profile it shows User Id eTronics, INC member since JUL 2007

sdc_prod_301013_74 HAS 27291 ITEMS LISTED. 503 FEEDBACK. When you click on the feedback profile it shows User Id THE TWISTER GROUP (EBAY DOES HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR AFTER ALL) member since OCT 2006

sdc_prod_9352_67 HAS 30782 ITEMS LISTED. FEEDBACK SCORE OF 915.
    When you click on the feedback profile it shows User Id Digital Foto Club. member since MAY 2007

In summary there are over 185,000 listings for the sellers above which I could identify. One of them is not registered yet has over 20,000 auctions.

None of these can be bid on
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Man, I am emailing this thread to myself. Ooh, got em by the gonads now! image
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Too funny. image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    Some screen shots of the fake auctions

Link
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    i can't wait for the eBay apologists to chime in soon, the ones that said eBay wasn't concerned about the boycott and it wouldn't make a difference. They cooked the books here to blatantly show that their business wasn't affected, when it obviously was. They got the message loud and clear, and created a web of deceit to hide it from the world, the shareholders and their own fragile egos. sad, really.

• Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I smell another Enron brewing. image
  • Options
    Ooooh .... Juicy stuff!

<< if fleabay insiders really were the the phony sellers..then this would be fraud with the intent of misleading stock investors.. >>

IS THERE AN ATTOTNEY IN DA HOUSE?
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Why doesn't someone that can prove this stick their neck out and call the news station on this one. I think someone has hell to pay.image
  • Options
    Strange how ole Meg just sold this hot potato recently and hauled her big ace ... image
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307

<< <i>I smell another Enron brewing. image >>

I agree. I have no doubt we will also be hearing that ebay has there own shill bidders to get auction prices up on certain key items.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologists #001

Do you guys believe everything you read on the Internet? eBay Forum Newgroups? YouTube? Good Lord!

Come on guys, how about something credible?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>Apologists #001

Do you guys believe everything you read on the Internet? eBay Forum Newgroups? YouTube? Good Lord!

Come on guys, how about something credible?

Dave >>

Seeing a brand new seller break the computerized rules that wont let you list auctions the format they were listed IS credible to me. I didnt watch that on youtube.... I looked up the auctions for myself.

Edited to say. I dont expect you to believe me just because I say so. But look at them for yourself and make a decision which is what I did.

• Options
    Very sad. If this is true what do you think will happen legally ?
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    How incredibly dumb on their part.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Whoops! There it tis.image
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys don't mind, I'll wait for Monday’s Wall Street Journal article.

I expect the WSJ and a few investors would be slightly interested in thousands of phoney listings.

Take care,
    Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    This is basically fraud since they are a publicly traded company. Purposely reporting false numbers has severe penalties.

The should apologize and admit that the sellers won.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    from
    http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2008/3/1204379814.html
    link

>>
    Mystery listings are appearing on eBay that don't allow shoppers to bid or buy. The listings appear to be feeds from Shopping.com sellers. A look at the User ID sdc_prod_301013_74, for example, shows the seller has 27,076 listings - but the ones we clicked on did not have bid or buy buttons. Users found multiple User IDs with the preface "sdc" - a commonly used nickname for Shopping.com

A discussion about the listings began Friday night on eBay's Feedback board. Some posters believe it is a sign that eBay is trying to inflate its listing numbers to mask any effects of the seller boycott. Because of the dearth of data from eBay, Wall Street analysts put a lot of credence on listing numbers to gauge the company's marketplace performance. This month, everyone studied listing numbers to try and measure the impact of the seller boycott. And sellers have been prowling the site looking for any evidence of manipulation.

Update 3/1/08: eBay spokesperson Usher Lieberman responded by email on Saturday, "This was a limited test that has run its course." I appreciate the update on a weekend and, if I learn more next week, will update this post.
    >>

Interesting "spin" from the Ebay rep, a limited "test" of software. With that they can probably get away with the stunt, though I have seen shareholder lawsuits over more innocuous things than this. The high priced Wall Street analysts are looking at the listing numbers, and Ebay knew this, so I'm sure they wish their "test" didn't get spotted. Depending on how widespread the incident is, and what is said in an official response from Ebay, this could get ugly, or be a non-event.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to apology for ebay if they did this but I, for one, certainly hope that ebay doesn't end up going bye-bye as ebay has made it easier for me to be a coin COLLECTOR these days. I can sell my dupes for a decent price, I can flip mint products, I can buy items in just about any denomination and price. Things that I couldn't easily do without ebay.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't shut eBay down, it will just wreak havoc on the value of their stock.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    WOW.......can't wait for more juicy info for sure
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    SAVE THIS NOW for posterity, just in case! Wow!

This is DEFINITELY worth watching, I GUARANTEE IT!

Just DO IT! image
  • Options
    Changed my mind, removed my comment
    Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be a huge story.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is going to be a huge story. >>

Yes, wow, I hope a lot of news organizations report this.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I did not participate in the boycott and generally have not bad to say about Ebay , but " WOW, Those F'ers" can ya imagine the arrogance in those boardroom meetings?
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    This showing up the same week as ebay saying this to the press.....

EBay says sellers boycott had no effect on listings

By Mark Schwanhausser
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 02/26/2008 01:35:08 AM PST

With the clock ticking down Monday on an eight-day boycott, some eBay sellers have called to
    extend it or stage a second protest in March. Sellers hoped the initial boycott, which ran from Feb.
    18 through Monday, would send a message to the San Jose online auction house about their
    anger over fee increases and rule changes announced in January.

"We definitely, numerically, we didn't feel an impact from the strike, but we certainly heard from
    our sellers and are listening to them," said eBay spokesman Usher Lieberman. He declined to
    disclose any numbers related to eBay's listings Monday, saying the company typically releases data
    only in quarterly filings for stockholders.

Still, eBay does not intend to change the fees or policies that enraged some sellers, Lieberman said.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I think we're all guessing here - a) that the listing were phoney and b) they weren't a test and c) eBay counted these in it's Press Release d) It was done intentionally -

I'll wait till it develops a bit more.
  • Options
    LOL since when does a "test have thousands of listings?
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    This is so flagrant that I can't help but wonder .... who dreamed this bonehead idea up?

IF eBay is behind it all they've got some serious explaining to do.

The words "Trust" & "Safety" have NEVER applied to ebay.

Think about it. Somehow the word "Insertion" seems very appropriate. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty strategic to have such a test during a time where it's widely known that sellers are actually boycotting. I do find this just a little bit manipulative as it will definitely affect the reporting of the number of listings during such time as eBay announces that this boycott had ZERO effect on listings.

Something just smells like a pole cat here.
  • Options

<< <i>Ooooh .... Juicy stuff!

<< if fleabay insiders really were the the phony sellers..then this would be fraud with the intent of misleading stock investors.. >>

IS THERE AN ATTOTNEY IN DA HOUSE? >>

so what are us average joes going to do for a forum when all this hits the fan! It seems like you have to accept the premiums from an auction house or go to a dealer who may not be interested in what you have to sell. This sucks. We need a little competition

• Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

imageimage This is good stuff.
  • Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>LOL since when does a "test have thousands of listings? >>

If they were stress testing their production servers I suppose it is possible. But that would n't make sense if they just did listings. A runaway testing error is always possible to. I am just glad I sold all of my eBay stock years ago.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I never blast ebay but this last thing with the feedback and rates really did bother me. I just stopped selling and buying on ebay recently. Something inside me said, it just did not feel right so that is why I stopped. To tell you the truth, I miss ebay but I will not be back unless something changes. I have always hoped that another auction site will pop-up and give ebay competition long before this new stuff. I thought maybe, yahoo would. I hope something positive comes out of all this for all of us. Sellers and buyers,
    Dan
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    << This is going to be a huge story. >>

Yes, wow, I hope a lot of news organizations report this.

I just sent the information to CNN. We will see if they run with the story, I'm sure they are going to check it out anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file