Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay put up millions of fake auctions to artificially boost numbers

2»

Comments

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Time to short Ebay?image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Someone should send a note to the Drudge Report. This is the kind of stuff he likes to report.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    And I thaught it all due to a downturn in the economy.

• Options
    Even though it might be some funny business. I will say that it looks very much like a new eBay Development customer attempting to test their code using the eBay API. I remember screwing up some automated listings back when I was automating auctions for car dealers. eBay changes their API all the time. If you know how cumbersome it is just to set up an auction through their tools, then you can imagine what doing it in code must be like. Just their authentication crap is a hassle, much less the rest of the rules. Their sandbox doesn't work the same as production. Most people just test with production. Just playing devil's advocate.
    -s
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

"investing in eBay isn't for everyone, but it helps to have a limited moral compass like we do" - Meg Whitman

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    are any of the News people picking up on this?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    This thread's going to have some legs to it.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even though it might be some funny business. I will say that it looks very much like a new eBay Development customer attempting to test their code using the eBay API. I remember screwing up some automated listings back when I was automating auctions for car dealers. eBay changes their API all the time. If you know how cumbersome it is just to set up an auction through their tools, then you can imagine what doing it in code must be like. Just their authentication crap is a hassle, much less the rest of the rules. Their sandbox doesn't work the same as production. Most people just test with production. Just playing devil's advocate. >>

You didn't read the background on this, did you?
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I tried to report it to the Wall St. Journal but they want you to have a Yahoo email account, why do newspapers make you jump
    through silly hoops like this? Just have a simple way to report newstips already.
  • Options
    In light of the new allegations, I will continue my boycott until futher notice. image
  • Options

<< <i>I think we're all guessing here - a) that the listing were phoney and b) they weren't a test and c) eBay counted these in it's Press Release d) It was done intentionally -

I'll wait till it develops a bit more. >>

Same here.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow-get ready for the fastest total collapse in history. (Well maybe the hunt brothers hold this record). On the optimistic side- ebay stock could be a bargain by the end of the week.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I just reported it to Fox News. So far CNN and Fox both know about it, we will see if anything develops.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what would happen if someone actually bought an item from one of these 'test' sellers?

Would the item be there to be delivered?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    I think it's impossible to buy one of these auctions.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Even if it is some sort of test or experiment, ebay had to know the effect on statistics and in my opinion feigning innocence by unawareness won't stand up to scrutiny if they get attacked by the press or some motivated attourney general. The boycot would have been a no nevermind but if they cooked the books and got caught they're in trouble. --Jerry

edit: and it's hard to imagine a test that required so many listings...even if you do come up with some unlikely need, the timing was quite a coincidence.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm wondering what would happen if someone actually bought an item from one of these 'test' sellers?

Would the item be there to be delivered? >>

DarkTone is correct...

They were "view" only auctions...

Ebay says they were testing auctions...

Edit to say...

They just happen to be testing during the strike... image

Next there going to test sell the Brooklyn Bridge 185,000 times...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    Two questions:

1) If these were tests, why wasn't that fact disclosed in the auction listings? I.E. "This listing is an eBay test, this item is not for sale."

2) Where is it disclosed on the eBay site that these tests will be performed, so that users can ignore them?

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Two questions:

1) If these were tests, why wasn't that fact disclosed in the auction listings? I.E. "This listing is an eBay test, this item is not for sale."

2) Where is it disclosed on the eBay site that these tests will be performed, so that users can ignore them? >>

I'll add a third:

3) Were these "tests" conducted in a way that prevented them from being included in reporting on the number of new listings, and if not, was the timing of the "tests" intentional to coincide with the boycott or just coincidental?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's true that we are all speculating. I stand by my contention that a test run in conjunction with a known boycott is slang for "cooking the books", though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Two questions:

2) Where is it disclosed on the eBay site that these tests will be performed, so that users can ignore them? >>

I'll add a third:

3) Were these "tests" conducted in a way that prevented them from being included in reporting on the number of new listings, and if not, was the timing of the "tests" intentional to coincide with the boycott or just coincidental? >>

And a fourth:

4) Was PayPal running test payments at the same or any other time?image
  • Options
    Tests work both ways its not just getting the listing up but also being able to be found If they seperate the numbers when they do their report one for actual listings and one for test listings then there is no mis conduct .

Im not sticking up for ebay they are a corprate bully and as such I have no respect for them but realistically its way to early to know what if any mis conduct has occured .
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Remember, next time ebay says one of your auctions isn't in compliance, tell them it was just a "test". image
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Hit the news:
    here
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    ebay is full of questionable characters and insiders using it to make a fortune....can someone tell me how a power seller with over 1000 negs can be on ebay while noting in their ebay store that they are 'former ebay employee'? I checked the person out and they did work for paypal, yet they have questionable business tactics...ebay allows it, so beware of shady people with contacts @ ebay and paypal..
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello....do I have the correct phone number for the S.E.C.?image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>Hit the news:
    here >>

Well, technically there is no mention here of "test auctions"
  • Options
    I have 2 words for ebay... SARBANES OXLEY. Oh yeah one more... PRISON. Have fun!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have seen their test auctions before

they all look like this ->

test auction - gp cross promotion -stores

what if these millions of auctions were not originated by eBay at all

but a new breed of scammer that thinks on a giant scale and somehow

hacked and by-passed eBays security

just as a test run for mass insertion?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have seen their test auctions before

they all look like this ->

test auction - gp cross promotion -stores

what if these millions of auctions were not originated by eBay at all

but a new breed of scammer that thinks on a giant scale and somehow

hacked and by-passed eBays security

just as a test run for mass insertion? >>

If the above scenario was the reality of it, Donahoe would have ordered that this be announced immediately as damage control.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    "Test listings" or "bulk listing tests" seems like an appropriate activity, and given plenty of notice of the boycott, perfect timing for such tests. This may not be the truth, but it sure sounds good, and will probably pass scrutiny if this is the case.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff! Either these were actually test auctions and eBay is incredibly naive about the timing, or it was a deliberate attempt to inflate the numbers. Either way, it makes for excellent entertainment as all the conspiracy theories magnify and spread across the web. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Back to the top. Excellent thread and
    watching for updates.

• Options
    I am kind of amazed this has not made the news yet?
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I don't know why everyone dogs eBay. If you are into moderns and bullion coins it is about the only way to find anything decent as many of the old farts don't carry them. I've bought and sold on eBay since 2001 and despite a problem or two, eBay has been a great venue. Are their fees too high? Go get a passport, their fees are high too but can't get back in the country without it. I say live and let live. Don't like eBay, don't use them but give it a rest before I post a couple more bullion update threads. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who said :

Absolute power corrupts absolutely ?

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this is going to be interesting.

Basically, Ebay has a monopoly on the internet auction business and they have to resort to this type of behavior? Boycott notwithstanding, I don't think that a their business will be hurt in the medium term. Sellers will hold auctions to prove their point during a boycott, but I don't think they will hold forever.

I would like to ask Ebay why they did what they did. If it is about the stock price, then they are in for some real scrutiny from the SEC.

I sure wish there was a viable alternative to Ebay to keep them in line. If they keep behaving the way they are, it is only a matter of time before a well financed competitor will appear.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    we all know how easily ebay can remove auction items. if these were "tests" gone awry, they could easily remove them as well. i mean, why the he11 would'nt you wanna remove bad dogfood from your pantry?

K S
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm wondering what would happen if someone actually bought an item from one of these 'test' sellers?

Would the item be there to be delivered? >>

Another one who didn't read the thread image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good stuff! Either these were actually test auctions and eBay is incredibly naive about the timing, or it was a deliberate attempt to inflate the numbers. Either way, it makes for excellent entertainment as all the conspiracy theories magnify and spread across the web. image

Russ, NCNE >>

The tin hat folks will have their field day, but the eventual shareholder lawsuits will be real enough.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess this is why eBay did not cancel this auction and is not cancelling this auction even though I pointed both of them out to Trust & Safety(?) on at least 25 separate occasion. Both auctions clearly violate eBays stated policy of providing a slab photo of the the slabv being auctioned. Both of these are for NGC MS64 Type 2 IKEs and neither one shows either the NGC slab or more importantly, the reverse of the coin!

I wonder if ANY eBay auctions were cancelled for listing or ploicy violation during the boycott period?

FRANK???
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donahoe has made it clear he wants to rid eBay of its "fleamarket" image, by eliminating those very people who made eBay the strongest online market place in the world. The idea is that by ridding itself of the low-priced items, they can concentrate on larger retailers, and boost revenues with higher end items.

Hey Donahoe..BITE ME!

Do they actually tecah this crap at Harvard business school???

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    E-Bay is gonna get banned from E-Bayimage--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do they actually tecah this crap at Harvard business school??? >>

Why yes, as a matter of fact, they do teach this crap at HBS -- and every other business school.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file