Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saying Goodbye to PCI

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
Although it can be argued PCI got it wrong more than they got it right, they have been a fixture in the numismatic landscape for two decades now.
Time to say goodbye.

If you care too, post a PCI coin.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Was PCI 66RB, now PCGS 65RB. image

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are gone? No one bought what was left?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only bought PCI coins once when I ran across a group of buffs that were all graded in 1997 or so (the desireable holders). I sold them all for PQ money in those PCI holders to eager collectors/dealers. Several appeared to be equal to the next grade in top TPG holders.
    So for me, I'll miss PCI. At least back then, they were in the game.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Good that they are gone
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Although it can be argued PCI got it wrong more than they got it right, they have been a fixture in the numismatic landscape for two decades now.
    Time to say goodbye.

image >>

if memory serves me, you have found many a treasure in their slabsimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Pat,

I remember that coin. Glad you put up a pic. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one in a green holder, but no pix of it. FWIW I went to an auction today and the first 4 items up were common Morgans in PCI 64 gold slabs. They went for $60 to $65 a pop.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't confuse the gold label holders with the older green label PCI holders which were graded very conservatively by different owners.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Although it can be argued PCI got it wrong more than they got it right, they have been a fixture in the numismatic landscape for two decades now.
    Time to say goodbye.

image >>

if memory serves me, you have found many a treasure in their slabsimage >>

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightening strikes twice?

peacockcoins

• Options
    THe only ones I have:

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't confuse the gold label holders with the older green label PCI holders which were graded very conservatively by different owners. >>

True.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe its me, but every PCI coin I have bought crossed at PCGS at or at a higher grade.

I just submitted this half :

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the lousy pic but is a scan.

Only one I have.

Joe

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭✭
    Why are we saying goodbye???????????????????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Time to say goodbye.

image >>

if memory serves me, you have found many a treasure in their slabsimage >>

image >>

Wish I knew who owns that.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>Don't confuse the gold label holders with the older green label PCI holders which were graded very conservatively by different owners. >>

The 10 digit s/n yes but the 12 digit serial number not really.
  • Options
    Buying PCI slabbed coins was part of my rookie coin collecting education. My first few certified Large Cents in PCI plastic. When I tried to cross them I realized how commonly corroded, cleaned and scratched cents they were certifying as problem free. We will see their work for decades to come at coins shows where we can look for the ones they got right.
  • Options
    I've found a few ASE's in the green bordered label slabs with the 10-digit serial number that are actually labeled "white" yet have the most beautiful and vibrant toning.

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The 10 digit s/n yes but the 12 digit serial number not really. >>

They never had a 12 digit serial number. IT was 14,10 and 9.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Your's is an original PCI slab, back when they truly graded conservatively. You can tell my the font and the serial number. Same for notwilight's coin. Millenium's is one generation later and tended to be somewhat iffy. All the others (gold label) - fuggedaboutit!

<< <i>Maybe its me, but every PCI coin I have bought crossed at PCGS at or at a higher grade.

I just submitted this half :

image >>

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    When is their stuff being auctioned off?

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchased on eBay for $149.00 in a PCI PR-67 Deep Cameo slab about 5 years ago:
    Sold for $500.00

Purchased for $250.00 on eBay (with the coin in it!):

Sold for $750.00:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanted :

Others interested in purchasing PCI

PM me for my PayPal Address. Minimal investment and great returns. First ten thousand to send me $100 will get their first coin slabbed free of charge and you will be listed on "Who's Who and Which Widget You Got ?" a yet to be launched internet site where coin geeks unite.
  • Options

<< <i>When is their stuff being auctioned off? >>

The auction was moved from January 16th to February 16th.
  • Options

Time to say goodbye.

image >>

Did they not mean to call this coin proof like? The Cameo designation is only for Proof and SMS coins.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They never had a 12 digit serial number. IT was 14,10 and 9. >>

Well, I am wrong. Is there a difference in the time line and grading when checking the number of digits in the serial number? I was told to
    look for the 10 digit serial numbers because they were the first slabs and were graded conservatively.

Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They never had a 12 digit serial number. IT was 14,10 and 9. >>

I just looked at one with 7 digits!
  • Options
    Whoever owns it, I want to buy it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Wish I knew who owns that. >>

I believe the original poster had that coin in an auction a few months ago. It was the one that caused this thread " PCI MS 68 Questionable Toning - upgraded to PCGS MS 69 - Must see to Believe! " to come about.
    John
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Whoever owns it, I want to buy it. >>

Me too. So, who owns it?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Whoever owns it, I want to buy it. >>

Me too. So, who owns it? >>

I believe in that thread " PCI MS 68 Questionable Toning - upgraded to PCGS MS 69 - Must see to Believe! " it mentions the auction ended in a strange way but I do not remember how. Maybe the OP still owns it.
    John
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Maybe. I wonder how we could find out? Hmmm. Well, I'm fresh out of ideas.

• Options
    This used to be in an old green label PCI MS63 slab. Its now in a PCGS MS64 slab.

Its a very rare PCI to PCGS upgrade:

• Options

<< <i>Thank you but I would much rather forget about them, they cost me $1500, I bought a dime entombed by them (gold holder like yours) cracked it out and sent it to PCGS and they said it was artificially toned and later to ANACS and they said it was cleaned. So then I submitted back to PCI in their gold but cracked holder and they asked me if I was the one who cracked it out, if I wasn't they wouldn't holder it , If I was the one then they would, I answered in the affirmative where it is now entombed forever, pretty darn professional if you ask me. I hope I never hear of those ridiculous 3 letters PCI again. >>

Your problem is that you bought a gold holdered coin. "They" didn't cost you anything, you were just paying for the price of your education.

We've all done it, it's part of the hobby.

I've had great luck crossing and even upgrading the old green PCI holders into PCGS.

I still have a few around here, guess I need to keep one for posterity.

I always checked out PCI green holders, there was once much low hanging fruit in that area. Even those that only crossed at the same grade were worth considerably more in the PCGS slab. Many moderns could be purchased for little more than the slabbing fees. I have a few PR CAM Frankies that were acquired that way. One '50 Frankie came back at PR66DCAM with a lovely light blue tint. It was in a PCI PR64 green label slab to start with and I only paid 62 Money for it at an old curmudgeon's table at a small show.

If I could bear to sell anything, I could make quite a few bucks on the favors PCI did for me, intentional or not. The result was the same.

I never looked at any PCI holder/coin that wasn't a green label. Most of us learned better than to do that long ago. The difference is like dog chow versus a NY strip steak.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Bye PCI
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that PCI red labels have also been upgraded as problem free by PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you but I would much rather forget about them, they cost me $1500, I bought a dime entombed by them (gold holder like yours) cracked it out and sent it to PCGS and they said it was artificially toned and later to ANACS and they said it was cleaned. So then I submitted back to PCI in their gold but cracked holder and they asked me if I was the one who cracked it out, if I wasn't they wouldn't holder it , If I was the one then they would, I answered in the affirmative where it is now entombed forever, pretty darn professional if you ask me. I hope I never hear of those ridiculous 3 letters PCI again. >>

WOW! I have not ever seen a $1500.00 PCI coin. I think the most expensive PCI coins that I noticed sell were a mid 90's PR70 ASE with their highest ultra cameo designation sell for around $850. and a 1939 Proof Walking Liberty Half PR67 cameo sell for about $875.
    I guess they must be out there but I just missed seeing the over $1000. PCI Coins. Could or would you please post a picture.
    Thanks,
    John
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546

<< <i>

Your problem is that you bought a gold holdered coin. "They" didn't cost you anything, you were just paying for the price of your education.

I've had great luck crossing and even upgrading the old green PCI holders into PCGS.

I always checked out PCI green holders, there was once much low hanging fruit in that area. Even those that only crossed at the same grade were worth considerably more in the PCGS slab. Many moderns could be purchased for little more than the slabbing fees. I have a few PR CAM Frankies that were acquired that way. One '50 Frankie came back at PR66DCAM with a lovely light blue tint. It was in a PCI PR64 green label slab to start with and I only paid 62 Money for it at an old curmudgeon's table at a small show.

If I could bear to sell anything, I could make quite a few bucks on the favors PCI did for me, intentional or not. The result was the same.

I never looked at any PCI holder/coin that wasn't a green label. Most of us learned better than to do that long ago. The difference is like dog chow versus a NY strip steak. >>

Great post, thank you!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

goodbye PCI

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 3 Legged Buffalo in F15 in an Old Green PCI holder for less than VG bid. Flipped and made $200.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I never looked at any PCI holder/coin that wasn't a green label. Most of us learned better than to do that long ago. The difference is like dog chow versus a NY strip steak. >>

Great post, thank you! >>

A $315.00 coin came back as a $55,000.00 coin per PCGS Guide, that is I believe the dream.
    John
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping ICCS would buy what was left so their coins would appear in a slab... unfortunately, I guess that is not going to happen

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dOnt have any pic's, becuase they have long been sold, but have purchased some PCI coins in the past and have done well with them.

A couple of the memorable ones:

1895-0 Barber Dime PCI-10 to PCGS-12
    1872 Two cent PCI-15 to PCGS-25
    1917-s ObvWLH PCI-15 to PCGS-15
    1801 Half PCI-35 to PCGS-35
    1937-d 3 leg PCI-30 to PCGS-40
    1912-s Lib 5c PCI-10 to PCGS-15 (PCGS overgraded this coin)

I had a few commem's that got graded the same in to PCGS holders

I was never able to get much luck on PCI Morgans !! (PCGS is much tougher on better date morgans)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file