Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Red Cross twister fund & giveaway: win a holey 1871 octagonal California gold 50c (MORE PRIZES A

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Final results and prize drawing here!

One of our forum members, Mike Long, aka "rabbitracks", is a trucker and had a close brush with death yesterday, courtesy of a tornado in Iowa.

So I have decided to pass the hat around for him (or, if he prefers, those who were affected).

(Update: funds received will benefit an appropriate Red Cross charity.)

Funny how this developed, actually- I was thinking of doing a giveaway of a particular coin in my collection that I had just upgraded, but greed got the best of me and I decided to keep it for myself (despite having just gotten another).

What can I say- gold does that to people, you know- even tiny, holed gold coins.

Then I logged on and read rabbitracks' amazing story and saw the frightening picture he took with his cellphone.

Read his story here.

It didn't take me long to realize that I was destined to give this tiny gold coin away, and to do it for a better cause than just a random giveaway. It'll still be a random giveaway, but with a charitable, twist, see.

I'm passing the hat around for donations, and speaking of hats, what better to give away than a piece of my famous Holey Gold Hat?

Every every forum member who posts here to pledge a donation for rabbitracks or his chosen charity (and fulfills that pledge) will receive an entry in the drawing.

Please post only ONCE to this thread, as the winner will be drawn by random number generator on or shortly after Monday, June 18th.

Donations may be made via PayPal to me, at rwshinnick@hotmail.com. Please label your payment "Twister Fund" so I can earmark them properly and send them on when the time comes. You need simply post a pledge here, but you do NOT need to say how much you are giving. I will keep that information confidential and will merely post recognition of those who sent something and of the total funds received at the end.

Remember, just post ONCE here. Other discussion about his adventure can be done on HIS thread.

Don't go overboard, here- just toss in a few bucks you can spare; a portion of whatever you were planning to blow on coins here on BST or eBay today anyway. We don't wanna embarrass the guy.

Mike mentioned wanting to get into the owner/operator business but I am not clear on whether or not he was the owner of the twister-trashed truck, or how much the near-disaster affected him, personally and financially. Obviously he did not ask for assistance, but I thought I would pass the hat anyway, just as a fun way to give away a coin. If he decides he doesn't really need the money or whatever, he can pass it along to where it IS needed in the twister-struck area, or to the Red Cross, or wherever he decides. It'll become his money if he needs it but if he refuses it altogether, I will donate it to wildfire victim relief in my local area.

Update: Mike has decided we should forward the funds on to the appropriate Red Cross agency. He will hopefully assist me in doing that.

Speaking of storms and disasters and relief, I am looking out the narrow window in my front door right now at the effects of Tropical Storm Barry, which is sweeping up the Atlantic coast and skirting our Georgia coastline here, right now. However, Barry seems to be a mild sort- we have not gotten much wind and I hope that remains the case. We have had light to moderate rainfall all night. Now it is getting heavier and my satellite DSL just froze up. I am typing this into a Word document and will copy and paste this thread when my Internet connection comes back.

As you may have seen in the national news, SE Georgia has suffered the worst drought and wildfires in our history, with over 600,000 acres burned. You could see and smell the smoke from where I live. Far from being a curse, our encounter with Barry has been something of a blessing so far, as the storm has brought desperately-needed rainfall to the area. It is supposed to rain all day and into tomorrow, for which we are grateful. I went out detecting the day before yesterday and the ground was so rock-hard, I had to whack it with a tire tool before I could get my shovel in the dirt!

Anyway, about the giveaway coin. This little holey California octagonal was given to me a few years back by forum member "100proof1957". I technically never wore it on the Holey Gold Hat, because the hole in it is so close to the edge that only the tiniest sliver of metal remains, and I was scared it would break off. I wanted to get a jeweler to remove the traces of old solder and reinforce the part of the rim by the hole, but never got around to that. I just upgraded to an NCS AU details piece that I am gonna probably crack out of the slab and stick on my hat. So I have two of these now. Y'know, they might even be the same variety?

So here is your chance for a cool holey. I was never 100% certain of the authenticity of this giveaway piece, since I know little or nothing about these except that they're cool. But having a certified genuine one in hand now, and re-examining this one, it looks very similar and therefore most likely real, at least to my untrained eye. If not, who cares, anyway. It was free to me and will be free to somebody else- I was gonna use it as "hat bling" whether it was real or not. Certainly it appears to be real gold, at the very least.

You can start your own Holey Gold Hat or pin it on a bulletin board or put it on a chain or get another holey one and make earrings, or whatever. (With a little repair, that is.) It is a cool little piece. I like octagonal coins, and I like gold. Octagonal gold is doubly nice, but chances are I may never own my big 1915 Pan-Pac octagonal $50 dreamcoin, so one of its teeny-tiny older cousins will have to do.

UPDATE 6/5: Mike has tossed three more (certified) coins into the pot, overshadowing my humble holey!

So when the drawing is done, the First Place winner will get first pick of the four coins, the Second Place winner will get second pick, the Third Place winner will get third pick, and the Fourth Place winner will get whatever's left!

Scroll down for his pictures of the three additional prize coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I will pledge

Pledged monies sent via PayPal

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Thanks, Jim. You really don't need to post your pledge amount if you don't want- just the pledge itself.

I was looking for a fun twist for a giveaway, and I think this'll do nicely. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    you are more than generous

I hope that in my whole life I can always give than receive

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    I like doing both. image

I had a lucky month for giveaways last month, winning two in the same week, so what comes around goes around.

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    PP Sent
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Paypal donation sent........Thanks Rob........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    You are a compassionate and generous person Rob. Thanks for organizing this.
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    ttt..........for the afternoon shift
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    rabbitracksrabbitracks Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Thank you Rob for the great giveaway. I have sent you a PM as to the Twister Fund. I would like to have it forwarded to the American Red Cross Storm of Support Fund Raiser that TV station KWQC TV6 is having on Tuesday June 5 funds are being received by Phone at 563-383-7000 on that day. If any board members don't want to send any funds to Robert you can donate directly to the station at that number on Tuesday. I felt that myself taking anything would be wrong when so many others are hurting from their much more substancial losses. I have insurance on the truck so hopefully that will cover all my losses. Thank you Robert my donation has also been sent to you.
    Mike.
    Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Count me in as pledging to your most noble cause Rob. Odd that when one states "Giveaway" people line up in droves yet when asked to give not so many get in line.

Just tell me when and it will be done.

I'll be glad to help out.

Regards,

BOOM
  • Options
    PayPal donation sent - thanks for doing this, Rob!

Joe
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    StampAlarmStampAlarm Posts: 1,668
    Is there anyway I can donate to rabbitracks without using Paypal? Also, I don't wish to be enterred into the giveaway, just donate.

Jerry
  • Options
    I want my coin back !

pledge on the way !

Btw,give us a running total if you can !

Thanks

Proof
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Paypal sent.image
  • Options
    PP sent.

Bruce
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have something in your PayPal account from me.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taken care off via PP
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ttt for the afternoon watch
  • Options
    Paypal Donation sent!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    oooopppps!

One more time!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Is there anyway I can donate to rabbitracks without using Paypal? Also, I don't wish to be enterred into the giveaway, just donate. >>

Jerry, if you don't really wish to be in the giveaway, you can independently donate to the charity rabbitracks mentioned in post #12 on this page, or PM him for assistance on where to send it, or just give to the Red Cross in general.

• Options
    I see some wellmeaning folks have violated the one-post-only rule in order to bump this thread back up. No problem. Thanks. I guess I can just make a list of names later and use the random number generator on that.

I'll bet if I was giving away a gold coin (even the tiny, damaged gold coin that it is), without any strings attached, this thread wouldn't need to be bumped. image

But that's okay. I have to tell about four or five charities a week to buzz off, 'cause with telemarketers, you never know. But this ain't telemarketing and there is a potential free gold coin involved.

Just three or four or five bucks, folks. Don't feel like you have to give twenty, like some people did.

It's for the Red Cross, which is better than my original idea of singling out one forum member to give it to.

And you don't have to send the money through me. If you post a pledge here and give your word of honor that you donated to the Red Cross, you're in the giveaway.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Donation Sent Via PayPal!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I have been on the recieving end of lordmarcovan's generosity not Once...but, Twice...

My paypal donation is sent.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    Donations so far total about $251.00, net $238-something after PayPal fees. I will try to donate the full amount or near the full amount when the time comes, though, and cover some of the small PayPal losses myself.

• Options

LM
    Donation sent via Paypal.

Don
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thank God he's all right. That looks like one frightenting experience.
  • Options
    Hello All Board members, I have an update for the Fund Relief of the American Red Cross for the Muscatine Iowa area. The Fund raiser is tommorrow and any interested party that hasn't donated through Rob on his GREAT giveaway can give directly to the American Red Cross for the Quad Cities at Phone # 1-309-743-2166. You can mention that the funds are for Muscatine County residents. This will help all those in that area that have lost so much from this major disaster. Thank you all for your many contributions for these people. Also thank you Rob for your generous offer of the Gold Coin giveaway for these people in need. I haven't heard anything from my insurance company as to the disposition of the truck damage but will post it when I hear from them.
    Mike Long

myurl
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭
    Paypal sent. Glad to help out!
  • Options
    The Darksiders have collected more in their gift fund for a member's newborn son than we have here for the Red Cross.

And there is no associated gold coin giveaway to help with their fundraising.

I always knew Darksiders had more heart. imageimageimage

• Options
    Hi Rob and All that have given, I am going to sweeten the Pot a bit. Hopefully this will entice a few Registry Participants to give to a very needy cause for those that have lost so much. I have a couple of Registry quality coins that I will let the winner choose from and 2nd winner will have second choice and also third place will get the final coin. The coins I have to throw into the pot are: 1909 VDB PCGS 66RB Lincoln Cent, the second coin is a 1951P PCGS MS-65 Roosevelt Toner from my Registry Set and the third coin is a 1950-D FS Jefferson . The photo's will be below as I just finished processing them. Again thank you all for sharing of your giving to the needy people of Muscatine County Iowa as there are many that will appreciate anything that is given when they lost so much. I just heard from my Insurance adjuster they are going to tow my truck to Des Moines Iowa to get a estimate from the Feightliner shop there to decide if it is worth repairing. Again today is the day of the Red Cross fund raiser anyone interested in not receiving the giveaway may give to the Red Cross Fund raiser directly at
    1-309-743-2166 Storm of Support please let them know it is for the Muscatine County residents.
    Mike.

myurl
  • Options
    Hi One and ALL , I have talked to Rob and there will be four winners in All. The First place will get his Gold Coin and 2nd Choice of the remaining three 3rd the next choice and 4th the final coin. Sorry for all the confusion this way there will be more chance for you to get a great coin. Please give whatever you can give for this support of the Muscatine County residents some whom have lost everything. Thanks to all who have already given. imageimageimage
    Mike.

myurl
  • Options
    Just a note to bump this up. Any funds after today for the American Red Cross will be donated to the National Red Cross disaster fund for any other disasters that may happen. The drawing is to be on or after the 18th of this month for the giveaways. Please let Rob know your address if you are a winner from the drawing. I will ship insured return receipt requested to make sure that you received your coin, at my own expense. Thank you all again for participating. I have been informed by my company that one of the owner operators that has a couple of trucks with no drivers is going to let me use one of his trucks until I find out from the Insurance Company as to the disposition of my own truck, if it is to be repaired or totaled after the freightliner people have a chance to inspect it. Thanks to all for your concerns and well wishes and expecially all prayers through this troubling time. image PCGS has a GREAT group of Giving caring freinds when help is needed. imageimageimage
    Mike.

myurl
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    i missed the how to or where to to send some $ via pay pal....help please
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>i missed the how to or where to to send some $ via pay pal....help please >>

The vitals are in the first post in the thread.

>>>
    Donations may be made via PayPal to me [lordmarcovan] at rwshinnick@hotmail.com. Please label your payment "Twister Fund" so I can earmark them properly and send them on when the time comes. You need simply post a pledge here, but you do NOT need to say how much you are giving. I will keep that information confidential and will merely post recognition of those who sent something and of the total funds received at the end.
    >>>

/edit Donation sent. Thanks to LordMarcovan for doing this.
  • Options
    An update for all that have given for the giveaway from Lordmarcovan. Anyone that is still interested in giving is welcome to join in the giveaway. The coins I've posted as well as Lordmarcovan's gold coin from his hat are still available for anyone giving to the American Red Cross. All funds received from the June 5th date will be going into the National Funds for all disasters including the coming Hurricane season so anyone interested in donating can still get a chance at the giveaway. The coins aren't super high grade coins but they are very nice coins if you don't want to keep them put them on the bay and let someone else that would enjoy them buy them from you. For anyone interested I received notice today from my insurance man. I stopped and cleaned out my truck this afternoon, sure was a mess from all the debris from the truck and outside debris from the twister. The insurance will cover everything that was damaged at the present time $16,000 and climbing if more damage is found during repair. Thank you Rob again for your generous offer of the gold coin for this giveaway. Thank you to all that have already donated for this Twister Fund for the Muscatine residents and any other needy cause that the Red Cross uses them for. Hopefully none on these boards will have to go through another major disaster this year. With Hurricane season knocking at the door it may be well used. image
    Mike.

myurl
  • Options
    donation sent via PP. Thanks!

Chicago Ron
    imageimage
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read Rabbitracks post on the other forum.

Paypal monies sent!

Thankyou Lordmarcovan!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    lordmarcovan,
    Donation sent via Paypal. Thanks for your efforts in putting this together. I'm pleased to participate
    in such a worthy cause.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A worthy bump.
    I just want to commend you for your compassion. My youngest daughter graduated high school two weeks ago and left for a mission trip to a small village in Nicaragua for ten days.
    Please accept my humblest apologies for not being able to help financially at this time.
    In my humility I offer thanksgiving for what I see, here.

~camaraderie~
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read Mikes post last weekend and said a prayer of relief it was only his truck.

Rob, PP sent.

Mike, I hope all is well.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Rob,

I dont, and refuse to use paypal after they took me a while back for over $2,000. If I can get down that way prior to the deadline ill toss some $ towards the charity, and you can just manually add me into the list. Nice idea!
  • Options
    TTT- drawing soon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file