Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 1807 Capped Bust Half almost 200 years old, I'm getting this in just in case????

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi folks, hope I didn’t get carried away here, but this is my year. I’m not a good writer, and besides the number statistics and referring to an Author of a book, what I’ve put here is just from memory. Also, when I mention how I attribute the varieties, there are other diagnostics, but I like to keep things rather simple.

The 1807 Capped Bust Half was the first year of the Capped Bust Half series. Also the first of a two year sub-type. There were only four die-pairings for this year.

Published mintages say around 750,500. In Bust Half Fever 2nd edition, Edgar Souders states by estimate it is more like 375, 250 (about half of the published numbers).

Furthermore, he mentions approximate survivors (all varieties) might be 2,000 with the majority being the “50 over inverted 5” variety.

This year is by far my favorite to collect and much tougher to grade, and to find in any kind of attractive and problem free condition. Known for their weak strikes, sometimes just a bit of wear can make them appear more worn then they actually are. I personally feel this first sub-type (1807-1808) should be a separate type by themselves. They look much different then the rest of the series IMO.

I’m going to show two examples of each die-pairing. And some of my opinions and my research on the four varieties. Opinions that have been my experiences, from ones I own, ones I’ve seen, and seen available. Here is the order I believe they were struck in sequence.

First struck for this year was the Small Stars O-113. I find these to usually be very weakly struck. In fact the weakest for the 1807, but nicer struck ones do come available once in a while. Easily attributed with the stars a bit smaller than the rest struck for the year. The stars are actually set further in, and away from the rim as well. Also, the left bottom serif of the “1” in the date will be missing. These are actually thought to be struck on an over-sized planchet.
Here is the O-113
And here is the O-113a, which has the die-cracks, although my small image some are a bit hard to see..

Next up is the Large stars O-114. I find these to be the very best struck up with the stars and eagles left wing facing to be very nicely struck. Although Liberty’s hair going down the center is usually mushy.
Easily attributed with a couple die-lumps under the “7” of the date. Another one at star eleven close to the rim. If I were just looking for a type coin this is the variety I would seek. They cost more, but even in lower grade they can be found once in a while and are struck nicely.
The nicest struck one I own and have seen…..
Nice strike, but you can see the central hair kind of mushy that I mentioned……

Next is the Large stars 50/inverted 5 O-111. Usually these are better known for the chin to chest die-break, the “Bearded Goddess.” I’ve not seen a prime yet without the break. This also has the 50/inverted 5 reverse and is written that you can see it more clearly on this variety. It also can be attributed with the bottom left serif of the “1” in the date missing, or nearly so.

This is a very early state with the “beard” very light, but can be seen with the naked eye…

And a later state to show the progression somewhat. The break actually goes through the eye very good, and very faint to the headband, and down Liberty. Although my image doesn‘t capture it good……

Next and last of the four die-pairings for the 1807 is the Large stars 50/inverted 5 O-112. This is the more “common” one and this is the variety that will usually be seen available. Still very tough to find attractive and well struck.
A very tough to find nice colorful one….

And a well circulated thick crusty one. Also tough to find and as original as they come IMO.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Very informative and great to see your coins, stman! Thanks.

The bicentennial approaches...
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    Thank you very much for a informative thread.
    I wish I could add to it.
    I am going to print it off and save it.
    Bill
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Thanks guys, I kinda jumped the gun as this was supposed to be posted last on the Capped Bust informative threads. In case they shut the door on the forum, this is how I choose to go out. Not bashing, not arguing, just the real reason I am here. My passion for these wimmins.image
  • Options
    Heh Hehimage
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Yep, only a month away from 200 years old.

That was a great post. Most of the things in there I had never know before.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Nice" coins and informationimage
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful "parade" of 1807 halves. Wow. Nice thread!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ST - you are the MAN !

It's great to see the passion come through.

imageimageimage

Don Willis
    Premium Numismatics, Inc.
    myurl
    800-596-COIN
  • Options

<< <i>

Next is the Large stars 50/inverted 5 O-111. Usually these are better known for the chin to chest die-break, the “Bearded Goddess.” I’ve not seen a prime yet without the break. This also has the 50/inverted 5 reverse and is written that you can see it more clearly on this variety. It also can be attributed with the bottom left serif of the “1” in the date missing, or nearly so.

>>

Here is one I cherried from a Heritage auction (unattributed) back in 1987, these pictures were taken by Sheridan Downey in 1988. He asked me to send it to him since he had never seen a prime either. Also included is the auction description when I consigned it to one of his auctions in 1992, I believe it was auctioned again by him in the last few years where it realized around 10k.

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the education.

I want to get a decent VF or so 1807 Capped but half one of these days for my transition year type set (so far I only have a cleaned example). Now I know why it's so hard to find one that isn't the 50/50 variety.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Thanks for the really informative post. It was great to get to look through all those beautiful busties!
  • Options
    RotatedRainbows, thanks for posting the O-111. I believe you showed that to me in the past, or posted it on the board. Glad to see you cherried it.
    I thought a while back I had a chance at one, the image was poor, I could see the right diagnostics, or so I thought...... but after studying the image I could make out the left bottom serif of the "1" in the date was indeed there. Of course I didn't want to ask the owner that was auctioning it any questions. image
  • Options
    my favorite also

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread, thanks to stman for posting all those 1807's and RotatedRainbows for posting the prime O-111, a GREAT cherrypick!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Rotated Rainbows

Lucky, lucky, lucky. Thanks for sharing! Wow.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey stman----when the heck did you slip in this 07 thread..........
    it's old too.......
    well

Here is another Small Star 07
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    But but but---it's out of order ?????????????????

Here is a Large Star 50/Inverted 5

• Options

<< <i>Hey stman----when the heck did you slip in this 07 thread.......... >>

Ummm, perhaps you might look at the date of the thread?image A couple of the coins I posted...... are only a nice memory now.
  • Options

<< <i>But but but---it's out of order ?????????????????

Here is a Large Star 50/Inverted 5

image >>

I never have liked following "Rules." Hey, that's a nice one........ somebody let you steal that one. image Good scan too, I bet it looks just like the coin.
  • Options
    OK--- got it now.
    Well that is still one heck of an impressive show there stman...
    and that prime O-111 is a treasure for sure.

Hey--here is my holey 07
  • Options
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Since this was to be the official start day for this thread, I will post my nicest 1807 CBH.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 50/inverted 5 1807 O-112 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. Widest date of 1807 CBHs, and a “0” that looks too large.

Reverse: There is a centering dot in the field, not attached to the eagle’s left shoulder. A die dot shows in field below lowest arrowhead. Arrowheads are ribbed, and recut. “I” is under the crossbar of “T” at right end. (Reverse is LDS of O-111.)

Note: The Overton fourth edition lists an O-112a with a cud at top of “U”. This cud has NOT been shown to exist.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Mozin, although your scan isn't the greatestimage I can tell that 07 you posted is a VERY nice one. Looks like my kinda coin. If you had to buy something like that today it certainly would cost ya.
  • Options
    stman,

My scanner shows detail nicely, but luster simply will not show.

Thanks for the nice comment. I bought the coin eight years ago.
  • Options
    Why are these coins so dang cool looking?
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Small Star 1807 O-113a R3: (Marriage R2)

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. Noticeably smaller stars, than on other 1807 varieties, are distant from dentils. Left base serif of “1” is missing. “7” is farthest left under the curl when compared with other 1807 marriages. On this LDS, a crack shows from near end of bust, through all left stars, and ends at front of cap. Another crack from milling goes through “0”, and extends up to drapery.

imageimageimage

Reverse: Letters in scroll have cross lines through them. “50” and “C” spacing is much wider than in other 1807 marriages. A centering dot protrudes from the left shoulder, showing as a lumpy shoulder. This LDS shows a crack from “50” to olive leaves, top of “UNITED STA”, down through “TE”, below “S”, and to scroll. Another crack shows at top of “S OF AMER”. Left side of “I” is under right side of “T”.
  • Options
    Nice coins there. Did anyone here "HELP" you aquire any of those? Just curious.
    Johnathan German
  • Options
    Hey Mozin---just looking at your O-112 again---holy canoli that coin is off the charts. That strike is incredible.image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That O-112 is gorgeous !!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coins there. Did anyone here "HELP" you acquire any of those? Just curious. >>

If you're talking to me. Just good ol' fashion work helped me acquire these. One board member collector offered me one. He named his price, I paid his price. Some of the others when they came available I might have had to sell off something else to help pay for them, work a couple extra jobs etc. When I was younger I never would have been able to acquire such coins. But didn't give up and yes, that someday came.

Signed...... worked two jobs MOST of my life.image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coins there. Did anyone here "HELP" you aquire any of those? Just curious. >>

Not properly potty trained while growing up.

• Options

<< <i>Nice coins there. Did anyone here "HELP" you aquire any of those? Just curious. >>

johngerman,

Welcome to our Capped Bust Half Dollar series. You are contributor number 95.

Most of us old-time collectors had LOTS of help collecting Busties. It goes with collecting the Bust series. I have collected Busties for over thirty years, and met some great CBH collectors. Sadly, a number of them are no longer with us.

--------------------

Auldfartte and JRocco,

Thanks for your comments on my O-112.

--------------------

AU58WALKERS,

Your 1807 Small Star looks nice to me, even with the nasal drip. My specimen is a much weaker strike, but with strong luster.

-------------------

SHOW YOUR BUST HALF DOLLARS IN ALL YEAR THREADS

• Options
    Another small stars O-113........

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coins there. Did anyone here "HELP" you acquire any of those? Just curious. >>

If you're talking to me. Just good ol' fashion work helped me acquire these. One board member collector offered me one. He named his price, I paid his price. Some of the others when they came available I might have had to sell off something else to help pay for them, work a couple extra jobs etc. When I was younger I never would have been able to acquire such coins. But didn't give up and yes, that someday came.

Signed...... worked two jobs MOST of my life.image >>

Oh Bull....I heard you traded up for all of them starting with a single toothpick.
  • Options
    Here is the first 1807 CBH I ever bought. ANACS was cruel in assigning the grade many years ago.

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. Widest date of 1807 CBHs, and a “0” that looks too large.

imageimageimage

Reverse: There is a centering dot in the field, not attached to the eagle’s left shoulder. A die dot shows in field below lowest arrowhead. Arrowheads are ribbed, and recut. “I” is under the crossbar of “T” at right end. (Reverse is LDS of O-111.)

Note: The Overton fourth edition lists an O-112a with a cud at top of “U”. This cud has NOT been shown to exist.
  • Options
    Here is a thread about a cherried 1807 Capped Bust Half Dollar O-111 marriage, the Bearded Goddess marriage. If you have any interest in Bust Halves, it is a must read.

Bearded Goddess marriage die states
  • Options
    rjf810rjf810 Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Here is another Small Stars example 0-113A

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    O-114, R.3

• Options
    rjf810rjf810 Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Here is another O-114

• Options

• Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I missed this thread the first time around. Some really nice stuff. image
  • Options
    Well, it IS a 1807 "capped Bust Half" eagle.image Heh heh

• Options
    Stman,

I am so jealous of your new purchase. That is a gorgeous 1807 Capped Bust Half goldie.image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very enjoyable and educational thread. I had heard that the '07 was scarcer than its mintage indicated, but this really added to my previously meager knowledge of them. Thanks to all of you Bustie scholars.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Cool threadimage Any more 1807's out there, I wanna see them!
  • Options

Some diagnostics for Large Star 1807 O-114 R3:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. Die defect lumps show under 7, and between star 11 and dentils. Liberty has cross lines in the bottom of letters, and B is unfinished at top.

Reverse: There is a tiny centering dot in the field, attached to the eagle’s left shoulder. 50 has small slender figures. The two lower arrowheads are firmly joined. I is centered below TE.

• Options
    Nice ones!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file