Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2 more proof IHCs that now have a different appearance than they did 2 months ago.

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
Heritage June 2005 NGC PF 63 RB

Ebay Now NGC PF 64 RB

Heritage June 2005 Anacs PF 63 RB

Ebay Now NGC 65 RB

Notice that these coins are on the same submission. There were 25 proof copper coins on this submission. Seven of them were bodybagged as AT. The rest apparently deemed market acceptable.

I do not believe the seller is the person who purchased these coins in the Heritage auction, "removed dirt and debris", and resubmitted to NGC.
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    When I saw those new auctions, I immediately wondered how much improvement had been done on them..... and I wonder what isn't "market acceptable"™ for proof IHC's now.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Here is a proof 2c from the same submission.

Heritage June 2005 NGC PF 65 BN

Ebay Now PRIVATE AUCTION NGC PF 65 BN

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm... I believe the first seller is a member here (Braddick), and the second is the coin doctor identified previously....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    At least they are not all getting upgraded. I believe this may have been the 1906 on submission #1510877 that was bodybagged by NGC.

Heritage June 2005 NGC 64 RB

Ebay Anacs 62 RB

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Probably just "removed the old shellac/laquer".

BRAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Circle the wagons boys, here they come again.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Wow- that 2 center has more blue than miles davis.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    that's rather disturbing. I do tend to to buy more for surfaces and less for color, probably moseso from now on.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Is there a doctor in the house?image
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    Hmmmm... I believe the first seller is a member here (Braddick), and the second is the coin doctor identified previously....

Probably just "removed the old shellac/laquer".

BRAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Circle the wagons boys, here they come again.

Is there a doctor in the house?
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    So Greg is a coin Dr.?
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Were these coins submitted to NGC before or after our last conversation about MS70 on proof copper? Perhaps a post across the street would permit the seller to comment.

Edited to add: Nevermind. I see that Michael has posted a link on the NGC Forum.
  • Options
    come on COINGUY1....stop spying and sound off.

I see your light bulb is on.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options

<< <i>Were these coins submitted to NGC before or after our last conversation about MS70 on proof copper? >>

After.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Both no doubt the same coins. Great post.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, just how much lacquer was on those coins? image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    This is getting out of hand. Glad I have the IHCs I need for the moment......
    What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Were these coins submitted to NGC after our last conversation about MS70 on proof copper?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

shylock
    Master Collector

Monday August 14, 2006 5:29 PM (NEW!)

Both no doubt the same coins. Great post.

• Options
    oh my

my my my my my my my my
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    This difference COULD come from lighting. Notice the 2nd picture in each instance is VERY glare-y, and shows a lot of "slab marks". Sometimes the only way to get color out of a toned proof coins. The original pics don't have those lighting effects, which may be why it doesn't show the color.
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

This is infuriating! Freak'n greed! image
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Oh my >>

<< <i>Both no doubt the same coins. Great post. >>

I suspect the Tooth Fairy is responsible. This is what happens when you put proof IHCs under your pillow for a few days. They take on monster color and go up a notch or two in grade. Must be the Tooth Fairy and her Magic Wand.

Tootsie, the Tooth Fairy Troll
    molarium refundium

Description and Characteristics

This very unusual troll-fairy is the most philanthropic of fairies. She is equipped with a magic wand, chemistry set, and pig necklace. She is always ready to fix coins for her many clients.

Isn't this a nice, simple explanation? image
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Just heard from a RELIABLE and NOT DEAD (despite rumors on this forum) source that the difference ISN'T the lighting.

NGC has stepped in ANOTHER one. And it STINKS BAD again.
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    and hugely profitible screwing his friends

but make no claims or warranties implied or expressed and he knows he did this doctoring with the intent to gain more lots more money
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't saying nuttin...
    nuttin nuttin nuttin........

Oh crap....

What's next ? Take a run of the mill 53D Lincoln, give it a gentle once over with a little acetone (to remove the varnish of courseimage ) and POOF- you end up with an MS chain cent ------ What !!! you don't believe me ?????

Try it you will see....acetone--- amazing stuff

Put some acetone on a Kennedy and POOF- you got yourself a Walker.....

the possibilities are endless....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

I think this entire thread and all of these problems are Mark Feld's fault. If it weren't for him we would all be so much happier (ok, Shylock is also to blame). image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would find it hard to believe that the sellers do not know exactly how these coins have been materially altered, and then do not disclose it in the auction. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.
    Doug
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The power of the Internet strikes again. That, and hundreds of collectors on the lookout for stuff like this.

Let's keep outing these coins long and hard.....great post.
  • Options
    Wow! I expected this thread to be 100 deep by now. No huge public outcry. No righteous indignation. I guess that photoshopping the picture of a coin you are selling is far worse than selling a coin that has been"photoshoped" itself. Or is it that you just won't blast one of your own?
  • Options
    This makes me sick. That Indian will never be the same.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's keep outing these coins long and hard.....great post. >>

I agree completely.

It seems some of the coin docs are getting greedy and not covering their tracks. The only way to be certain (assuming we don't get some confessions) is to out these guys with before and after photographs and to expose their auctions.

• Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    ttt
    Good work here at exposing altered coins.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! I expected this thread to be 100 deep by now. No huge public outcry. No righteous indignation. I guess that photoshopping the picture of a coin you are selling is far worse than selling a coin that has been"photoshoped" itself. Or is it that you just won't blast one of your own? >>

I'll take a stab at answering this and guess that there is less outcry for one or both of two reasons. The first being that last month these coins were written about extensively on these boards and the second because the seller in the ebay auction is a well-known board member and many people feel uncomfortable calling out one of their own.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    there are a lot of rb and bn proof IHC in lower grades in the heritage online sell
    wonder if we will see any of these in the near future in new holders
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited cuz I thought he was talking about Greg, not Pat. image
  • Options

<< <i>and the second because the seller in the ebay auction is a well-known board member and many people feel uncomfortable calling out one of their own.

Not here... image >>

Me, neither. Although I have spoken to him via IM, Braddick's silence on this topic is deafening...Mike
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This difference COULD come from lighting. >>

That radical degree of color change does not come from differences in lighting.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sad..... sad...... sad. image

I think the coins are ugly now.

I don't know the circumstances behind the coins..... the sellers surely? have a side to it.......

But looks pretty clear cut at this point. Shows me more evidence that this hobby is really destroying coins for profit, whether doctoring, adding color, or dipping.

IT IS TIME TO REWARD ORIGINALITY! This has been discussed on the board before, that the TPG should have a designation as such. PCGS.... should really look at this. Or perhaps a new TPG service willing to do so. There would be a HUGH demand in the market place for such a designation. And I suspect the designation would not be easy to come by... since any questions at all on the coin would result in no designation.... and so many have been tampered with already. Think of the marketplace value of any coins that would receive such a designation!! (of course, it would still be an opinion....)

so sad..........
    ----- kj
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IT IS TIME TO REWARD ORIGINALITY!

I am starting to see this occurring in rare gold. Dipped and worked coins are struggling, while people are paying a premium for originality. One problem with a TPG designation is that "originality" is a very difficult thing to define and not entirely a black-and-white issue.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, neither. Although I have spoken to him via IM, Braddick's silence on this topic is deafening...Mike

I personally would like to hear why the sellers do not state it in their auctions that the coins are artifically toned, when they have personal knowledge of such.
    Doug
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Wow, the lacquer must have been REALLY thick on those coins before treated with acetone. image
    I wonder if the sellers will hold to the explanation given awhile back on the other proof IHC thread, that removal of lacquer alone accounts for the monstrous color changes seen here.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options

<< <i>IT IS TIME TO REWARD ORIGINALITY!

I am starting to see this occurring in rare gold. Dipped and worked coins are struggling, while people are paying a premium for originality. One problem with a TPG designation is that "originality" is a very difficult thing to define and not entirely a black-and-white issue. >>

Exactly. The marketplace if recognizing that more and more. But that is why if a reputable TPG like PCGS added this designation.... demand would be HUGH because so few would receive the designation. Yes, granted... some will slip through.... and I'm sure the doctors will try like crazy to 'duplicate' original skin using some spray or something..... but I suspect the end result will be very few coins receiving the designation. I see very little risk to PCGS.... as long as they stick to it being an OPINION ONLY.... and NOT GUARANTEED. I would see PCGS getting much business with submitters trying to get the designation...... I really think the business model would work, and the demand is there.
    ----- kj
  • Options

<< <i>Me, neither. Although I have spoken to him via IM, Braddick's silence on this topic is deafening...Mike

I personally would like to hear why the sellers do not state it in their auctions that the coins are artifically toned, when they have personal knowledge of such. >>

Because it is all about the Benjamins. You dont rack up 4600 feedback because you are a hobbyist. It is a business for these guys. And an easy escape is to say "I didn't slab it, I am just selling the professional's opinion." The TPGs need to stop grading this stuff. But they wont, since at least one of the parties is a big submitter to NGC and has several hundred coins being slabbed at any given time. Why would they give up a $3000 per month revenue stream?

• Options

<< <i>Wow, the lacquer must have been REALLY thick on those coins before treated with acetone. image
    I wonder if the sellers will hold to the explanation given awhile back on the other proof IHC thread, that removal of lacquer alone accounts for the monstrous color changes seen here. >>

Greg,

These coins were not lacquered. They all came from no problem NGC, PCGS, ANACS slabs. NGC and PCGS will not slab a coin that has lacquer on it.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC has spoken. After the broo-ha-ha a couple of months ago regarding these "MS70'ed" Indians NGC has decided to still holder and grade them. NGC was made aware by more than one participant what is the cause and effect of using MS70 on proof cents. I know because one of those participants told me, on the phone, his conversation with NGC officals.

The coins I'm offering were encapsulated after NGC was informed and educated. NGC has deemed these coins to be worthy of their holders, even now, today, after the multiple threads and discussions on both forums as to the validity and value of these coins.

I had no opinion, either way, when these were first discussed. In fact, I don't think I contributed to any thread regarding these a couple of months ago. I did read Greg's reply on the NGC forums and it rang true to me.

I know many will disagree, but in my opinion, if these are good enough with NGC, and the experts there have decided to continue to grade and holder these Indian cents after all the discussion that has taken place, then it's good enough with me.
    If it's not with you, simply don't support the market. Don't purchase them.

peacockcoins

• Options
    While not entirely suprising, I am disappointed in your continuing to sell coins you know are AT. It's distressing to see your ethics have a price.

Note to self: Don't buy any more coins from Braddick.
  • Options
    Then shame on NGC.

But.... who decided..... to process these coins? And.... I have to now question..... if this process is ok, then what other processes are being used to 'enhance' coins.... that you consider to be ok?

Oh, and yes.... I will not support the market. I find them ugly, and consider it a shame that this is being done.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While not entirely suprising, I am disappointed in your continuing to sell admitted AT coins. Note to self: Don't buy any more coins from Braddick. >>

Mike, I'm sorry to disapoint you. Your a solid collector and one who's opinion I usually agree with. I don't regarding these coins.

I recently had the opportunity of purchasing a blast white 1917 full head MS63 Standing Liberty quarter. In my opinion, it was just too white. It had been currated with NCS before being holdered by NGC.
    It wasn't my thing so I passed. I'm sure others would disagree though and find a pure white Standing Liberty quarter highly attractive and desirable and then want to purchase it. I just don't.
    I do find these Indian cents to be pretty though. I like the proof reflective fields and the maroon and lavender/blue colors. I try, generally, to only sell coins I would like to own. These proof Indians fit that bill- for me. They don't for you. Understood.

It's what makes collecting enjoyable. We all like different areas within the same market.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file