Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

10 Suggestions which might help someone who's new. --- a post-retirement retrospection.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 18, 2019 2:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum
In no particular order:

1. Put some thought towards exactly what your collection will include. Haphazard purchasing will probably lead to a collection which eventually doesn't make sense and has no goal.
2. Join a club or organization dedicated to your interests, something that will help put you in touch with like-minded collectors.
3. Consider assembling a library of both general and specific areas of the hobby. Education is the key to success.
4. Learn how to competently grade whatever it is you collect.
5. Attend as many shows as possible and look at as many coins as possible, asking questions along the way.
6. Try to establish a working relationship with at least one dealer.
7. Find a Mentor. It doesn't matter if that person knows or not, a knowledgeable friend you can speak frankly with and ask help from will prove invaluable.
8. Specialize in some area which attracts your attention and you seem to enjoy more than all else.
9. Learn how to sell, don't become emotionally attached to your coins. They will be the source for better items.
10. Subscribe to a trade related publication, it'll keep you informed and up-to-date on what's news in the hobby.

I hope these help avoid some mistakes I've made.

Al H.

Now that I'm in full retirement I thought about my own advice again and realize that I slipped away from following most of it, still adhere to some of it and have gained strength in areas where I had once been lacking. To wit: I no longer belong to any clubs or organizations, haven't been to shows regularly for years, lost contact with my mentor and don't subscribe to any Hobby related publications. However, I have gotten more focused on what I collect, my "library" is healthy, my grading skills have gotten better and I'm more able to sell. I try to stay abreast of Hobby-trends and still look at coins daily, mostly online at dealer and auctions sites.

Change is a good thing. If you replied to this thread back when it started or somewhere after that, have your habits changed, your approach to collecting??

Comments

• Options
    Keets is spot on !

when i got started up again i broke nearly all of those rules !

And i knew better !
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    "8. Specialize in some area which attracts your attention and you seem to enjoy more than all else."

Don't be surprised if you don't stick with what you originally decide to collect.

That's where #9 comes in: "Learn how to sell, don't become emotionally attached to your coins. They will be the source for better items."

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    that's probably how type sets get started!!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    11. Be patient in your purchases.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent advice. Regrettably, I cannot find fault with any of these suggestions. image
  • Options
    As a collector I'm kinda moving from newbie to sophomore. This is all great advice. I wish I had read it so concisely when I started.
    Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In no particular order: 1. Put some thought towards exactly what your collection will include. Haphazard purchasing will probably lead to a collection which eventually doesn't make sense and has no goal. 2. Join a club or organization dedicated to your interests, something that will help put you in touch with like-minded collectors. 3. Consider assembling a library of both general and specific areas of the hobby. Education is the key to success. 4. Learn how to competently grade whatever it is you collect. 5. Attend as many shows as possible and look at as many coins as possible, asking questions along the way. 6. Try to establish a working relationship with at least one dealer. 7. Find a Mentor. It doesn't matter if that person knows or not, a knowledgeable friend you can speak frankly with and ask help from will prove invaluable. 8. Specialize in some area which attracts your attention and you seem to enjoy more than all else. 9. Learn how to sell, don't become emotionally attached to your coins. They will be the source for better items. 10. Subscribe to a trade related publication, it'll keep you informed and up-to-date on what's news in the hobby. I hope these help avoid some mistakes I've made. Al H. >>

I hope it helps someone else for me it is nearly 40 years too late. But good information none the less.
  • Options
    unless you know exactly what you are doing, DONT !

dont buy 3rd tier slabs thinking you are getting a rip !

dont buy raw coins unless you know how to grade em or are prepared to lose much of the investment.
  • Options
    Wow, I don't follow any of those suggestions.image I guess I'm still an amatuer.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    well said Keets, I wish I read your post 6 mos ago !!!

there is no substitute for open communication with mentor/trusted dealer.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets, you forgot to ad #12: Avoid Jefferson Nickels and So-called dollars (eliminate competition)image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Nice list Al. I agree with all suggestions.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great list of suggestions.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. It's too bad that so many beginning collectors don't follow these principles.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    10. Subscribe to a trade related publication, it'll keep you informed and up-to-date on what's news in the hobby.

>>

This is the only suggestion I've blatantly violated. I dumped my Coin World subscription last fall, now I simply rely on this forum as the source for all of my coin-related news. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only is this good advice for newcomers to the hobby, it is also good advice for long time experienced hobbyists. They should review the list every month or so as a refresher course.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If you're new to collecting, understand that if you follow keets' suggestions you can save yourself a lot of heartache and frustration. So many of us have learned the hard way. Very well done, keets.

Even some of the experienced collectors don't think #10 (Subscribe to a trade related publication) is that important, but it is.

Myself, I have trouble with #9 (Learn how to sell, don't become emotionally attached to your coins). Even though I fully agree with the observation that "junk today will still be junk years from now" I have a tough time getting rid of the junk.

[edit: didn't see seanq's post before I posted this, but as much as I enjoy this board, and visit daily, there's still plenty of info I get from CW and NN.]

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

11. Collect some coins in ordinary condition that may be handled without harming their value.

• Options
    I'm a newb, started collecting Morgans...the rules seem very valuable.

Does the appreciation of the metals affect the appreciation of the coins much? I would have expected coins to rise more than they have since silver has gone up 30% in the last 3 months.

Any insight appreaciated...

Sco
  • Options
    Fresh Meat ™
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent advice. Regrettably, I cannot find fault with any of these suggestions. image >>

Me neither!

Good advice Mr Keetsimage
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a newb, started collecting Morgans...the rules seem very valuable.

Does the appreciation of the metals affect the appreciation of the coins much? I would have expected coins to rise more than they have since silver has gone up 30% in the last 3 months.

Any insight appreaciated...

Sco >>

Welcome, Sconiman!

Bullion prices have some effect, but only up to a point. Low-value precious metal coins will go up in order to maintain a premium over the melt value, but (for example) if a particular Morgan is worth $20+, it won't be affected by the silver price. The premium over melt value is already high enough that fluctuations in the bullion price won't matter. It most certainly affects the value of the Morgans which are only worth a small amount over melt value.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    This post deserves another trip to the top.

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Very well written Keets!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    Keets, I like the list, but you might need one more thing.

11. Go out and make an emotional purchase that completely ignores 1-10. Then, start over at number 1, and ignore 11.

I have found that I am still tempted to make some of the mistakes you mention on the board. But, if I remember the hit my wallet took when I bought something on a whim, I am more bolstered to not repeat the same dumb mistakes.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Get a library card and start borrowing coin books. I've read almost every book my library has to offer on coins.

Buy a Redbook as well. Cheap yet highly effective "tool" when dealing in this area. Sure the prices are off a bit but it gives a decent idea of what something is worth.

#9 is something I'm trying to overcome. Have some coins that are kind of losing my interest that may be sold off. With silver at the price it is, I stand to make a small profit even at melt (which isn't much). Emotions run high in this game at times.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all great info , I am in the process of thining out my wide variety that I iniatally collected, and have a more focused goal(s)...although mine was pretty widespread, ie copper, (just cant grade it), I think its ok to look / collect different stuff at first just so that you dont skip and miss something that might be of interest,...like for me , Franklins, I really wanna like em, and had 10 or so, but now satisfied with one PCGS 65 FBL just to have one nice example .....My "core" collection will never be sold in my lifetime, but think its fun to move other stuff in and out as well...
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    13. Have fun and enjoy you time spend on the hobby. If it is not fun, move on to something else.....

I think you would probably have Education as every other point.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Keets just gave some real good advice.
    I read all 10 suggestions word for word.
    If you are new be smart and take it.
    No 4 and 5 and 8 are especially important.

But the one I like best on his list is No. 9. He worded that well.
    No. 9 is frequently ignored by even veteran collectors who refuse to part
    with a single coin in their collection. Not good practice in my opinion.
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the best list I've seen. While it could use some expansion and explanation as
    a newbie learns about coins and the market, it is a great starting point for any newbie.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TTT for Realone!!!image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    #1 is BS IMHO

my early days haphazard collecting provided many excellent suprises down the road.

not to say that I would go back to that way of doing business mind yaimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I liked this post in 2006, and still do. image

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    OK, so how do we get this stickied to the top.
  • Options
    i saved it in my favorites today after trying to find it in the archives for Realone who expressed resistance to selling items, something that reminded me of myself of several years ago. i truly believe that selling helps us become more whole as collectors, completing the circle we start when we buy.
  • Options
    <<<1. Put some thought towards exactly what your collection will include. Haphazard purchasing will probably lead to a collection which eventually doesn't make sense and has no goal.>>>

Now you tell me!

Seriously, I started out with ASE's, found out they are modern crap and moved on to Trade dollars, found out they are too expensive then tried MPL' s and love 'em.
  • Options
    TTT to help someone like gecko avoid a bad mistake.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    You forgot one important one:

Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the boards, lots of experienced people here that are willing to give good advice.
  • Options
    lots of experienced people here that are willing to give good advice

The U.S. COIN FORUM is the best place in the world to learn about Coins and collectiing, bar none.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great list Mr. Keets.

May I suggest you include coin auctions to your statement regarding shows and viewing as many coins as you can. Auctions are a free lesson in grading for those who wish to learn and participate. Folks should understand why one "65" or "vf" or whatever can be worth multiples of the other.

K
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The recommendations made on this thread

were learned the hard way by most of us and

they are truly the gold standard for new collectors.

One of the worst things a new collector can do, is

to buy a little of everything with no plan as to what

they truly want to accomplish. I wish that newbies

would lurk on this Forum for a few months,before they

spend any serious money. As always, Keets is on spot

for realistic and practical observations and advice.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    One of the worst things a new collector can do, is to buy a little of everything with no plan as to what they truly want to accomplish.

AMEN
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the worst things a new collector can do, is to buy a little of everything with no plan as to what they truly want to accomplish. >>

Actually, I don't understand this one but I can take a guess. I started out buying an example I liked of many series and I still have and cherish that loosly defined partial typeset. I think those who can't deal with that are the ones who need to obsessively complete a set. I'm not bashing you guys for being obsessive, more coin collectors are than aren't and these obsessions strongly support the coin collecting phenomenon. But if you don't think you'll need to own everything in the world to complete your set, enjoy the variety of one of each. --Jerry

PS and if you start this way it is a great way to look around and you won't have to decide what series to collect, it will find you.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i truly believe that selling helps us become more whole as collectors, completing the circle we start when we buy. >>

Exactly. Just like in "The Lion King".
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You forgot one important one:

Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the boards, lots of experienced people here that are willing to give good advice. >>

That's absolutely true.

It's also true that there are all sorts of things posted here by well-meaning people that are completely wrong.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the boards, lots of experienced people here that are willing to give good advice. >>

That's absolutely true.

It's also true that there are all sorts of things posted here by well-meaning people that are completely wrong. >>

And you can become a better collector just by paying attention, doing a little research on your own, and figuring out who's advice is good and who's is bad.
  • Options

<< <i>

That's absolutely true.

It's also true that there are all sorts of things posted here by well-meaning people that are completely wrong. >>

However, on average, the level of discussion here is very conducive to learning- especially for those of us who live in areas where coin stores/clubs/shows are not common, and do not have the time/money/opportunity to travel to the larger shows.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    Save your money until you can afford a really good coin. Don't buy junk as you will be sorry later.

Frankimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file