Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

History Lesson: Commemorative Coins #1

My favorite post's are the ones that give me the history of certain coins or series of coins. I'm a beginner in my quest to complete the 144 Classic Commemorative Set. I'm currently reading "A Basic Guide to U.S. Commemorative Coins" by Michael J. Hodder and QDB. I wanted to share some of the pages here, with others, who may be interested in this series as much as I am. I'll share a Paragraph or two on a weekly basis. Just want to share some history and hope it's not too boringimage

Commemorative Silver Coins
The Diversity of Commemoratives
Some commemoratives were issued for events of true historical importance on a national scale, and others were produced for observances of stricly local interest. Among older issues of interest to all Americans are the 1892-1893 World's Columbian Exposition, 1915-S Panama-Pacific International Exposition, and 1926 Sesquicentennial of American Independence half dollars. Of purely local or regional interest are such half dollars as those issued in 1936 to observe the 250th anniversary of the granting of a city charter to Albany, New York; in 1925 to memorialize the centennial of the founding of Fort Vancouver in Washington State; and in 1936 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Lynchburg, Virginia's city charter.
One of the most curious of all commemorative half dollars is that produced to observe the 200th anniversary of the change in status of Norfolk, Virginia from a town to a borough. The coin bears five dates-1636, 1682, 1736, 1845, and 1936-none of which is the date when the coin was struck, 1937!

I hope this was found interesting and hope some look forward to the next "History Lesson"image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin bears five dates-1636, 1682, 1736, 1845, and 1936-none of which is the date when the coin was struck, 1937! >>

Wow, I never thought about that before. Cool trivia item.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Great reading Lee!image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    Interesting, keep 'em comin, I look forward to your next lesson!
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    So, the Norfold has five dates. Is that why it is such a totally cluttered design?image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Thank you for that history lesson. This is exactly why I come to this site. I have three Commem's, one of which I purchased the other day at my local coin shop. The '36 Robinson (Arkansas Centennial)with great tone PCGS MS64, fell in love as soon as I saw it in the glass. Again thank you for the lesson. Until next time.

Tom
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    A certain sense of antiquity of this coins design comes to me while looking at it.... a great coin keep up the old commemorative postings!
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>Interesting, keep 'em comin, I look forward to your next lesson! >>

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I just finished the book. It's very interesting for someone like me who knows nothing about commems.
  • Options
    Anthony Swiatek's commem book is an excellent resource from a true gentleman.
    Thanks for the post and pic, Lee.
    Don
  • Options
    thanx for history lesson Lee.

I only own a handful of Comm, five I think and the Norfolk is by far my fav, I don't own one of those yet..image

BTW, I'll be at the Norfolk Clerk's office today doing a title search.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Lee. Your Norfolk is gorgeous!

I look forward to your series. I've thought of doing one similar in the past but just haven't found the time.

Some additional info on the Norfolk: Although the coin did commemorate the 200th anniversary of the establishment as a borough (1736), the coin's dual reason for issue was to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the orginal Norfolk land grant in 1636.

The reason for the the coin being struck in 1937, and not 1936, is that the original legislation was poorly written in 1936 and was unclear as to whether this was to be a medal or commemorative coin and failed passage. The commem was finally authorized in 1937 and all 25,000 were minted in September at the mother mint. As you might imagine, being a local issue its popularity was quite limited. The issue was in the height of the madness where the market was flooded with commemoratives. With the poor sales, 8077 were returned to mint to be melted leaving a net mintage of 16,923.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options

<< <i>I have three Commem's, one of which I purchased the other day at my local coin shop. The '36 Robinson (Arkansas Centennial)with great tone PCGS MS64, fell in love as soon as I saw it in the glass. >>

Tom, you have the makings of a TRUE commem collector. Because, if you can love a Robinson Arkansas you have it in your blood. image And don't be upset--this comes from a guy who goes ga-ga over the Carver/Washington commems.

Lee--a good post. Keep 'em coming.

And it's interesting, something I lose sight of, is that a few of the real hardcore numismatists around here aren't that tuned into commems because they've never paid them much mind. I was reminded of this the other night when Longacre posted about an interesting coin with North and South America depicted as women. I realized he was talking about a Monroe, and that you can't just take it for granted that even experienced coin people know all the different classic commems.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Thanks Guy's for the kind words. Fat's thanks for adding some interesting information about the Norfolk. Appreciate It!

<< <i>And it's interesting, something I lose sight of, is that a few of the real hardcore numismatists around here aren't that tuned into commems because they've never paid them much mind. I was reminded of this the other night when Longacre posted about an interesting coin with North and South America depicted as women. I realized he was talking about a Monroe, and that you can't just take it for granted that even experienced coin people know all the different classic commems. >>

Clankeye

Clankeye besides helping newbies learn about Classic Commemoratives this was my main reason for doing these post's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file