Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do major submitters get a break at PCGS?

I read often here that major submitters gain an advantage. For example, coins subbed through Heritage may gain a point.

Two questions: is this at all true? and if there is some truth, how do the graders know who the submitter is? Rob
Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Spend a little time cruising Teletrade and compare bulk submitted coins, (those beginning with 7 in the cert number), with non-bulk submitted coins. The answer will be clear.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, a succinct and helpful response, thanks. So little time, so much to learn....

What, then, is the sourse of the rumor that PCGS and NGC play favorites? Or is it just another facet of human nature?

And why did ICG go to the trouble and expense of using an arm's length firm to accept their submissions to "assure anonymity"?
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    I don't believe this.

Some inconsistencies sometimes I can believe, but a widespread conspiracy to overgrade all coins submitted by "big time" submitters sounds a bit crazy.

It would not benefit PCGS in the end because they would lose respect and credibility, which they have not.

Since they are still #1 in the world, it's obvious most people trust them.

Atleast we don't see PCGS coins all over the HSN TV Coin Shows for sale. They often carry most slabbed coins, except PCGS. I have seen NGC and ICG coins on there in bulk quite a lot. Any sales of NGC or ICG MS-70 coins that HSN has in bulk is alarming to me......
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Some inconsistencies sometimes I can believe, but a widespread conspiracy to overgrade all coins submitted by "big time" submitters sounds a bit crazy."

Ditto. In fact, the "bulk" has been graded as tight as non-bulk (and some would now argue even tighter this year). Several bulk submitters have now quit all together it appears, moving on to the "green pastures" of other grading companies.

Not to mention, bulk grading prices are available to ANYONE who wants to submit similar quantities. I am aware of a "newcomer" on the scene (a fellow with a day job), who got the same quote recently as any big dealer would get with that size order. Now, are there dealers getting a better deal than I am right now - no doubt. But, all I would need to do to get the same deal is increase my business accordingly I believe (as could anyone). Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does PCGS conspire to purposely overgrade or undergrade coins? Absolutely not. Foolishness. To state otherwise is, in essence ix not only calling PCGS dishonest but also fraudulent.

IEdited to add:They may not get it "right" each and everytime, but it would never be an act of, "Hey, I know this coin's really on an MS64, but let's give it the MS65 grade so the submitter can make a ton of money".

peacockcoins

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    sometimes Do major bulk modern submitters get a break at PCGS?

yes

and if they complain enough to pcgs they sometimes even get more of a break

someone on this thread is speaking with forked tongue
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Grading is conducted by humans, and grading is subjective, so occasional inconsistencies may occur.

It is not in the top two grading companies' best interests to give preferrential treatment to certain submitters. Placing coins that are inferior for their given grades is not beneficial for their reputation.

There is a saying on the bourse floor that goes like this: "It's not you they don't like, it's your coins".

There is another saying that goes like this: "If you shoot enough bullets at your target you'll hit it eventually".

The graders do not know for sure whose coins they are grading. They may be able to make an educated guess as to who those coins may belong to.

Bulk submissions are more likely graded tightly than not, especially on the coins worthy of a high grade. Special bulk rates are available to anybody if the number of coins that are to be submitted are numerious and thus merit a bulk rate.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sometimes Do major bulk modern submitters get a break at PCGS?

yes

and if they complain enough to pcgs they sometimes even get more of a break

someone on this thread is speaking with forked tongue >>

michael,

Believe me, complaining to the grading services about your results is not beneficial...I know from previous experiences. It pays to be nice.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I think they may miss a grade here and there, but they do this FAR LESS than any other TPG.

They are more consistent, and that's what it's all about.

Until God or Robots do the grading, an undergrade or overgrade is going to happen once in a while.

I still believe PCGS's standards and trust among the community is best determined by the collectors.

They are well-known for being the most "conservative" graders for coins, and their prices realized prove that most people are willing to pay more for a PCGS graded coin versus any other coin.

In this area they are clearly #1 so people are obviously happy with their services.
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Michael,

You just stated that major bulk submitters get a break in terms of grade at PCGS. I am at PCGS every day and know for a fact that the graders do not know whose coins they are grading. You have lied about our company. This is not acceptable. Prove your statement or leave the board.

David Hall

• Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    This is not acceptable. Prove your statement or leave the board.

I was going to challenge him too. Darn, you're quick.
  • Options
    "someone on this thread is speaking with forked tongue"

IT APPEARS SO.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Do they get a break if the slab is cracked?
  • Options
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Spend a little time cruising Teletrade and compare bulk submitted coins, (those beginning with 7 in the cert number), with non-bulk submitted coins. The answer will be clear.

Russ, NCNE >>

From your statement it can be construed that you believe that bulk submitters do get a break, or grading advantage, from PCGS ?

Can you prove this by showing us examples ?

As you have probably already read in Mr. Halls comments, i'm sure he would like to see you prove it also.

• Options

<< <i>imageimageimage >>

I like seeing these three little guys eat in unison.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Michael,

You just stated that major bulk submitters get a break in terms of grade at PCGS. I am at PCGS every day and know for a fact that the graders do not know whose coins they are grading. You have lied about our company. This is not acceptable. Prove your statement or leave the board.

David Hall >>

I agree.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    David, rightly or wrongly, many collectors and dealers are of the BELIEF that bulk submitters (even without their identities being known to the major grading companies) get breaks in grading.

It might be due to something as simple as the very large numbers of coins involved, which inevitably lead to more over-graded coins (and, to be fair possibly more under-graded ones too) than in smaller, non-bulk submissions. The coins that appear to be optimistically graded are the ones more likely to receive attention, as the conservatively graded ones usually get cracked out and/or sent elsewhere.

If you start requiring posters to PROVE their opinions/perceptions, in order to remain forum members, the forum will become quite small.image
  • Options
    Cant really say if big dealers / submitters get price breaks at PCGS because i dont know. But as for Grade breaks? all i can say is i better not get started or ill just get in trouble again..........................................

Andrew
  • Options
    Does anyone want to hear my idea for a new TPG - TCGS?
  • Options

<< <i>David, rightly or wrongly, many collectors and dealers are of the BELIEF that bulk submitters (even without their identities being known to the major grading companies) get breaks in grading.

It might be due to something as simple as the very large numbers of coins involved, which inevitably lead to more over-graded coins (and, to be fair possibly more under-graded ones too) than in smaller, non-bulk submissions. The coins that appear to be optimistically graded are the ones more likely to receive attention, as the conservatively graded ones usually get cracked out and/or sent elsewhere.

If you start requiring posters to PROVE their opinions/perceptions, in order to remain forum members, the forum will become quite small.image >>

EXACTLY! Opinions are like feelings - often beyond rational justification but often passionately held.

For example, if I have 628 pictures of David Hall glued to the wall of my apartment because I think he is the best looking guy ever, that is my opinion, and I am entitled to express it!

(Did I just say that out loud?)

• Options

<< <i>David, rightly or wrongly, many collectors and dealers are of the BELIEF that bulk submitters (even without their identities being known to the major grading companies) get breaks in grading. It might be due to something as simple as the very large numbers of coins involved, which inevitably lead to more over-graded coins (and, to be fair possibly more under-graded ones too) than in smaller, non-bulk submissions. The coins that appear to be optimistically graded are the ones more likely to receive attention, as the conservatively graded ones usually get cracked out and/or sent elsewhere. If you start requiring posters to PROVE their opinions/perceptions, in order to remain forum members, the forum will become quite small.image >>

Opinion and conjecture are different than flat out "factual" statements Mark.

To boldly come out and either blatantly or slighly state PCGS grades coins based not on the coin but rather based on the submitter of the coin is, best case, rude and foolish, worse case, purposely dishonest in a vain attempt to forward the poster's personal agenda. Evidence should followed such a bold statement and when it isn't forthcoming... a sincere apology.

peacockcoins

• Options
    First amendment.

Libel. Slander.

You pick.
  • Options

<< <i>To boldly come out and either blatantly or slighly state PCGS grades coins based not on the coin but rather based on the submitter of the coin is, best case, rude and foolish, worse case, purposely dishonest in a vain attempt to forward the poster's personal agenda. Evidence should followed such a bold statement and when it isn't forthcoming... a sincere apology. >>

Pat, I sure didn't get anywhere near all of that out of the post David had a problem with.

Edited to add:

<< <i>often beyond rational justification .... >>

<< <i>if I have 628 pictures of David Hall glued to the wall of my apartment because I think he is the best looking guy ever >>

In my OPINION, that certainly qualifiesimageimage
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    duplicate post deleted.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Opinion and conjecture are different than flat out "factual" statements Mark. >>

Perhaps you didn't read Michael's sig line. I've included it below:

Posts are based on experience and are opinion only. Experiences and opinions of others may differ.

Michael speaks from the heart and what he believes is true. Your opinion of reality may be different but no better, ultimately, than his or mine or anybody else's.

What strikes me as odd is how Mr. Hall reacted to Michael's opinon, yet completely ignored the same answer, if a bit more skillfully worded, from Russ.

Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Michael,

David Hall >>

I agree. >>

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>Do major submitters get a break at PCGS? >>

A legitimate question and obviously a touchy subject as a couple of forum members have raised the ire of HRH. HRH's response was direct, and rightly so. But the perception does exist, and regardless of whether there is any basis of fact or not, in many collector's and dealer's minds this does happen. I thought so too, so I have discussed this with many collectors and dealers and this is what I have found out on the question.

The reason that the major submitters seem to often get what we find as favorable grades is because they "Pay for the plastic". We all recognize that grading is subjective (I prefer the term inconsistent). The major players simply use this to their advantage. They simply keep submitting the coin until it receives the maxed out grade. It may take multiple attempts and maybe some never make it. But at the scale these guy play, it is a huge profit maker. And, of course, this is a symbiotic relationship as the TPG makes out big time as well.

So its not that they are getting a break, they are just taking advantage of the inconsistency that is inherent in grading. The end result is a lot of maxed out coins flooding the market from the big boys (& girls). You too can play along if you can afford the submission fees and the turnaround times. But that is a place where the big boys get an advantage.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    The conspiracy theory is a myth, guys...the graders have no idea whose coins they are grading. Didn't you watch the video where David walked everyone through the process? It is very educational as to how the process works and I suggest if you haven't watched it that you should.

The conspiracy theory people take disparate and random events, and put them in to a chronology that fits their motives.

BTW -- there are 3 UFO's at Roswell and we never landed a man on the moon image

• Options
    "Opinion and conjecture are different than flat out "factual" statements Mark. To boldly come out and either blatantly or slighly state PCGS grades coins based not on the coin but rather based on the submitter of the coin is, best case, rude and foolish, worse case, purposely dishonest in a vain attempt to forward the poster's personal agenda. Evidence should followed such a bold statement and when it isn't forthcoming... a sincere apology."

Well said Pat.

Wondercoin

• Options

<< <i>Well said Pat. >>

Come on Mitch - you're an attorney. Please provide us with the direct evidence from another post which equates anywhere near word for word with what Pat wrote.
  • Options
    Mark: You know I retired from the practice of law many years ago. Feel free to do all the practicing of law you chose to do though.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mark,
    Let me ask you directly: Do you or do you not believe PCGS purposely overgrades coins based on who submitted them?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Mark, as you think of your answer I'll only add this: If you do then you'll have the last word with me as they'll be nothing for us to debate as I absolutely 100% disagree.
    And, if you don't, what is your argument here?

peacockcoins

• Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    Col Travis drew that line in the sand a few month's ago. You cross it and you're out. You forget we're in his house.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Does PCGS purposely overgrade coins based on who submitted them? Nope. Can't happen that way since the graders don't know the name on the submission form.

Are there are a lot of "gift" grades from modern bulk submissions? Yes, there are. Anybody who's handled enough of these coins knows that. It's the same with NGC. But that is not a function of any kind of conspiracy, but rather a result of the numbers game. If you regularly throw out enough volume some of it is going to stick.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Mark: You know I retired from the practice of law many years ago. Feel free to do all the practicing of law you chose to do though. >>

Mitch, actually I had forgotten - sorry about that. And I choose not to practice either, thank you.image

<< <i>Mark,
    Let me ask you directly: Do you or do you not believe PCGS purposely overgrades coins based on who submitted them? >>

Pat, if I did, this probably wouldn't be the best time and place to say so.image But, my answer is that I don't believe it.

<< <i>If you do then you'll have the last word with me as they'll be nothing for us to debate as I absolutely 100% disagree. And, if you don't, what is your argument here? >>

Pat, my "argument" here is that what you wrote (see below) in reply to my first post, did not seem to address the situation I presented in my post. Nor did it equate closely with what anyone else had said in the thread. It sounded (and I apologize if I am incorrect) as if you were putting words into someone's mouth and intent into their head.

<< <i>Opinion and conjecture are different than flat out "factual" statements Mark.

To boldly come out and either blatantly or slighly state PCGS grades coins based not on the coin but rather based on the submitter of the coin is, best case, rude and foolish, worse case, purposely dishonest in a vain attempt to forward the poster's personal agenda. Evidence should followed such a bold statement and when it isn't forthcoming... a sincere apology. >>

• Options
    I have sent many bulk submissions to PCGS and promise you THEY DO NOT cater to larger clients. The graders have NO IDEA whose coins they are grading. The only thing PCGS graders take in to account when grading is the coin.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Here's a theory I've been wondering about: In the bounds of consensus grading, the more graders involved it would seem the more consistent the grading would be. Conversely, where fewer graders are involved, there should be more variability. Bulk submissions ordinarily have fewer graders than the other typical submission levels (e.g., Regular, Express, Walkthrough). Accordingly, it would be reasonable to expect more variability on bulk submissions.

WH
  • Options
    "I don't believe it."
    Thanks Mark for the honest and upright, direct answer, I appreciate it! I knew there was a solid foundation as to why you are considered, by the vast majority, here as the top collector/dealer/poster on these forums for the last half of the decade. image

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Spend a little time cruising Teletrade and compare bulk submitted coins, (those beginning with 7 in the cert number), with non-bulk submitted coins. The answer will be clear.

Russ, NCNE >>

From your statement it can be construed that you believe that bulk submitters do get a break, or grading advantage, from PCGS ?

Can you prove this by showing us examples ?

As you have probably already read in Mr. Halls comments, i'm sure he would like to see you prove it also. >>

Russ is right. You are pathetic.
  • Options
    This thread ended badlyimage
  • Options

<< <i>

David Hall >>

Exercise of the bully pulpit!

"Prove your statement or leave the board."

Would an apology or retraction suffice?

BTW David. We're still waiting for a definitive statement regarding the PCGS guaranty of authenticity ( please)!
  • Options
    -----"The Most Errors Occur When The Big Submitters Ram 1000's Of Coins Through At A Show And Want Them Done Yesterday"-- Laura Sperber, Rosen Numismatic Advisory (Dec, 2005, pg. 6)--- If you too want to get some overgrades (and unders) any collector with the money can do the samething IMHOimage
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Does anybody here submit hundreds of coins at a time, and if so, do you think you do better when you send in a larger volume of coins versus a smaller number? I would be interested to hear some stories of real experiences.
  • Options
    Coinhusker1 writes:

<< <i>Russ is right. You are pathetic. >>

Pathetic because of what? Because i ask that someone prove what they are claiming by showing examples?

I am not a member of the "Kiss Russ' ass club". He's too rude and obnoxious. If he's going to make a statement, and claim it to be fact, then he should prove it.
    Words are cheap, show real examples.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we should drop the subject. Graders cannot ever know who the submitters are, there is no time. And the sheer logistics make it impossible.

For Example:

No one is going to write a thousand times "bobs coins" on the flip in the processing area so the the graders see, and no grader is going to say "oh... bobs coins, I will give these a good grade" and.... "I hope the next two graders and the finalizer agree!!" HMMMM I guess I will bump these two ..no, one grade point... wait whats the deal with bob?

"hey wait (a grader stops to say) "these are bobs coins give them a better grade ok...." " did you get the memo?"

Another grader says " which bob? what grade should we give?" " does the finalizer know?"

This could never happen. It cannot happen.

Lets drop it.

Tbig
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just stated that major bulk submitters get a break in terms of grade at PCGS. I am at PCGS every day and know for a fact that the graders do not know whose coins they are grading.

I believe HRH 100%. I also believe that PCGS tries very hard to grade all coins by the same standard, period.

Still, it must be obvious to a grader when he's working on a bulk submission. So the possibility exists that a grader will intentionally treat bulk submissions differently. Additionally, he may unintentionally grade bulk submissions differently, simply due to the nature of the work.

I also wonder if the people grading bulk submissions are the same people grading other submissions. If not, there's certainly a possibility that standards could diverge unintentionally.

Do I believe any of this is happening? I have no clue. I don't pay attention to the types of coins that go through bulk submissions, so I've seen no evidence one way or the other. But now seems like a good time for HRH to address some of these issues.

Edited to clarify that I am talking about "bulk submissions" - big groups of a single type of coin - and some other people are talking about non-bulk submissions by big customers of PCGS. These are very different issues. To be even more clear, I see no problems with respect to non-bulk submissions.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file